Idioms
Author Message
 Idioms

Christopher Browne,

IBM's APL2/PC includes a function called IDIOMS.  IDIOMS is a fullscreen
application that displays several hundred idioms for performing a wide
range of common tasks.  The function facility's includes searching
and extraction of idioms for use in programs.

Regards,
David Liebtag

Tue, 26 Sep 1995 01:37:14 GMT
 Idioms
: Christopher Browne,
:
: IBM's APL2/PC includes a function called IDIOMS.  IDIOMS is a fullscreen
: application that displays several hundred idioms for performing a wide
: range of common tasks.  The function facility's includes searching
: and extraction of idioms for use in programs.
:
:
: Regards,
: David Liebtag
I do not have APL2/PC (basically, I would like to use the 386 version, but not being able to run it under emm386 puts me off somehow), but this seems a very useful way to get the possibility to use my time a little better.
Does IBM have any publication with that list of idioms, are they published somewhere or (best of all) is such a list available on the net?
BTW, thanks for the encouragement, David. I will be back with lots of questions as soon as I start off in my "plight for understanding" the great features of APL (Right now, I am writing a journal article for my PhD thesis, and I have to get the writing done, or I'll loose my scholarship - and worst of all, access to USENET - how would I live without comp.lang.apl? :-))
Regards,

Tue, 26 Sep 1995 15:10:00 GMT
 Idioms
Pedro,

We have a technical report on the IDIOMS package.  You can get a
copy of it or any of our other technical reports or papers by

mailing address.  We'll send you hardcopy.

The Idioms report is called "APL2 Phrases", order number TR 01.A845.

I believe a most of the idioms from the Finnish collection is
included in our package.

Regards,
David Liebtag

Wed, 27 Sep 1995 00:39:02 GMT
 Idioms

Quote:

>IBM's APL2/PC includes a function called IDIOMS.  IDIOMS is a fullscreen
>application that displays several hundred idioms for performing a wide
>range of common tasks.  The function facility's includes searching
>and extraction of idioms for use in programs.

And it is very well done, too.  Browse around in the IDIOMS workspace, and
grap a copy of the Toronto Toolkit, and you will get a feel for APL.  I have
been using APL since 86, and there's still a lot of stuff in those two sources
that was new to me, or that solved problems in a way that I had never thought
about.

-- Volker

Phone:    +49 228 73 3427                              (Bonn, Germany)

Sun, 01 Oct 1995 04:14:32 GMT
 Idioms

Quote:
>> new to me, or that solved problems in a way that I had never thought about.

Sounds good.  Perhaps someone could translate some of the more interesting
idioms into J, where appropriate?

mark

Sun, 01 Oct 1995 07:39:21 GMT
 Idioms
Jim Brown asked me to mention that IBM's free APL2 package, TryAPL2,
also includes the IDIOMS workspace if you'd like to try it out.

Regards,
David Liebtag

Sun, 01 Oct 1995 08:39:11 GMT

1. Are there any J idiom lists?

2. Finn Idiom problems and Re: {rho} problem

3. Want convolution idioms

4. Adrian Smith's spanned cells idiom challenge

5. seek idioms for Emacs online J doc

6. Translating Idioms

7. Translating Idioms

8. First 10 FinnAPL idioms - Coded in J

9. A few idioms and programs for new J'ers

10. Nice Idiom

11. Idiom Library , characters, and humour

12. Fw: Re: Idiom Library , characters, and humor