A new dialect of APL called "J" has been developed by Iverson Software
Incorporated and was announced at APL90.  At the show, versions of J
for the IBM PC and for the Mac were distributed free.  There are also
versions for the VAX, MIPS, and Next available.  These latter three
are presently available on a limited basis from me.

J is an advanced dialect of APL.  It has boxed arrays, operators
that accept user defined functions, (true) user defined operators, and
complex numbers.  It uses the ASCII character set.

Thu, 11 Feb 1993 20:59:37 GMT

>A new dialect of APL called "J" has been developed by Iverson Software
>Incorporated and was announced at APL90.  At the show, versions of J
>for the IBM PC and for the Mac were distributed free.  There are also
>versions for the VAX, MIPS, and Next available.

If J is free, can it be made available on some anonymous ftp site or
on a fileserver? Otherwise, does anyone know where the Mac version
could be found?

- Juha

<<   Welcome to the CA universe. Your first assignment is to create Life.  >>

Fri, 12 Feb 1993 20:29:06 GMT

|>>A new dialect of APL called "J" has been developed by Iverson Software
|>>Incorporated and was announced at APL90.  At the show, versions of J
|>>for the IBM PC and for the Mac were distributed free.  There are also
|>>versions for the VAX, MIPS, and Next available.

There are others interested in a Mac version if it can be obtained
by FTP.

Institute of Statistics and Operations Research  Tel:(4)721-000
Victoria University, PO Box 600, Wellington      Fax:(4)712-070
New Zealand

Sat, 13 Feb 1993 04:59:58 GMT
I have been asked for references about J.  So far, I think
that there are two articles published in journals.

        by Kenneth E. Iverson
        Vector, Volume 7, Number 1, July 1990, pp 67-78.
        ISSN 0955-1433.

        APL \?
        Hui, et al
        APL Quote Quad, Volume 20, Number 4, July, 1990, pp 192-200.
        ISSN  0-163-6006.
        APL90 Conference Proceedings, published by the ACM.

There is also the printed manual mentioned in the "readme" file:
Copyright (c) 1990, Iverson Software Inc.

J is a licensed product of Iverson Software Inc. (ISI).  Permission to copy
this software without fee is granted provided (0) the copies are not made
or distributed for direct commercial advantage, (1) this copyright notice
is included, and (2) notice is given that copying is by permission of ISI.
To copy otherwise requires the specific written permission of ISI.

The software is distributed on an "as is" basis.  ISI disclaims all
warranties, expressed or implied, including but not limited to implied
warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose.

Registered users receive a printed manual and notice of new releases.
To order or register your copy, send $24 to:

Iverson Software Inc.                 Iverson Software Inc.
33 Major Street                       3512 Cameron Mills Road
Toronto, Ontario, Canada  M5S 2K9     Alexandria, {*filter*}ia, USA  22305-1103
(416) 925 6096                        (703) 548 1799

Mon, 22 Feb 1993 11:32:26 GMT

1. JS-EAI with *JS*-callback

2. js.exception 3279.js

3. NB. gray.js: a J verb that generates a grayscale postscript image from a 2d array

4. lapackTest.js

5. profile.js

6. J script file profile.js

7. JS valueOf() in RB ?