Please help with research 
Author Message
 Please help with research

I'm doing comparative language research for a magazine article.

You can help by writing a small "dump" program which opens a named file
and displays its data in hexadecimal and ASCII format. You can use
*any* language and *any* hardware platform. I need debugged code
however, not just an algorithm or description.

Please submit your source code to my email address, NOT this newsgroup.
Along with the code, please include:

   * your name
   * target platform
   * programming language
   * compiler/interpreter used

I appreciate your help and will try to credit you in the article when
it's published.

[The submitted code will be considered copyrighted and confidential,
and will not be used privately or commercially in executable form.
However, I reserve the right to perform comparative analyses and
publish small excerpts of source code as examples.]

--
Jerry Fitzpatrick            Consulting and Training for
Red Mountain Corporation     Software Architecture and Quality
1795 N. Fry Rd, Suite 329    (including C / C++ / OOA / OOD)
Katy Texas USA 77449         Phone/Fax: 713-578-8174



Fri, 23 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Please help with research

Quote:

>I'm doing comparative language research for a magazine article.

>You can help by writing a small "dump" program which opens a named file
>and displays its data in hexadecimal and ASCII format. You can use
>*any* language and *any* hardware platform. I need debugged code
>however, not just an algorithm or description.

Please tell me your evaluation criteria, as that will effect the
particular code I submit in any particular language!

i.e. What's your point? This seems pretty worthless to me.

--

Intel/Personal Conferencing Division
(503) 264-9309, FAX: (503) 264-3375



Fri, 23 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Please help with research

Quote:

>I'm doing comparative language research for a magazine article.

>You can help by writing a small "dump" program which opens a named file
>and displays its data in hexadecimal and ASCII format. You can use
>*any* language and *any* hardware platform. I need debugged code
>however, not just an algorithm or description.

Choose one of the following:

1) Do your own homework
2) Write magazine articles for which you are qualified to write.

You are obviously not qualifed to write a 'comparative research' article on
computer langauges and asking for help so that you can make yourself money is
capitalism at its worst.

Go away and quit bothering the people with real work to do.

Taylor Hutt
These opinions are not those of my employer



Sat, 24 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Please help with research

Quote:

>I'm doing comparative language research for a magazine article.

>You can help by writing a small "dump" program which opens a named file
>and displays its data in hexadecimal and ASCII format. You can use
>*any* language and *any* hardware platform. I need debugged code
>however, not just an algorithm or description.

Am I the only person around who thinks this is a trivial task,in almost
any language ?  What's the magazine, what's "comparative language
research", and what's the point ?

It would be at least a little more challenging if you wanted to edit the
hex data and resave the file. You would then be asking people to
recreate what they already certainly have available in their collection
of system utilities. Who has time for this kind of nonsense ?



Sat, 24 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Please help with research


Quote:

> >I'm doing comparative language research for a magazine article.

> >You can help by writing a small "dump" program which opens a named file
> >and displays its data in hexadecimal and ASCII format. You can use
> >*any* language and *any* hardware platform. I need debugged code
> >however, not just an algorithm or description.

> Choose one of the following:

> 1) Do your own homework
> 2) Write magazine articles for which you are qualified to write.

Stay cool man. No reason to offend other people, ok?
At least the described piece of code could be done in a few minutes in a
lot of languages. So if anyone willing to help ... You don't have
to, do you?

Quote:
> Go away and quit bothering the people with real work to do.

What is real work then? You think your (or my) mail is worth anything at
all?




Sat, 24 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Please help with research

Quote:




>> >I'm doing comparative language research for a magazine article.

>> >You can help by writing a small "dump" program...

>> 1) Do your own homework
>You don't have to, do you?

On the other hand, I think it is good to question  the purpose of
such a request. It's not a matter of helping or not helping. It is
also a matter of pointing out that many such comparisons have been
done over the years and they don't really prove anything. They only
have the potential to mislead those who don't know any better.

--

Intel/Personal Conferencing Division
(503) 264-9309, FAX: (503) 264-3375



Sat, 24 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Please help with research

Quote:

> I'm doing comparative language research for a magazine article.  You
> can help by writing a small "dump" program which opens a named file
> and displays its data in hexadecimal and ASCII format. You can use
> *any* language and *any* hardware platform. I need debugged code
> however, not just an algorithm or description.

    #!/bin/sh
    od -h $1
    cat $1

--
Gareth Rees



Sat, 24 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Please help with research


    >> I'm doing comparative language research for a magazine article.
    >>
    >> You can help by writing a small "dump" program which opens a
    >> named file and displays its data in hexadecimal and ASCII
    >> format. You can use *any* language and *any* hardware
    >> platform. I need debugged code however, not just an algorithm
    >> or description.
    >>

    Bob> available in their collection of system utilities. Who has
    Bob> time for this kind of nonsense ?

I also think it's silly.  However, if he receives a version for every
other language except lisp, people may infer that lisp is dead.
Perception and reality may not be related.

Ray
--
----> Raymond Toy
----> Ericsson Inc.



Sat, 24 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Please help with research

-> >I'm doing comparative language research for a magazine article. >
-> >You can help by writing a small "dump" program which opens a named
-> file >and displays its data in hexadecimal and ASCII format. You can
-> use >*any* language and *any* hardware platform. I need debugged code
-> >however, not just an algorithm or description.
-> >

-> Bob Kematick replies:
-> Am I the only person around who thinks this is a trivial task,in
-> almost any language ?  What's the magazine, what's "comparative
-> language research", and what's the point ?

Awwwh, give the guy a break.  He just doesn't want us to work too hard.
I agree that it would have been better to specify the output format more
precisely.

--- (:>) no flames pls



Sat, 24 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Please help with research


Quote:

>-> >I'm doing comparative language research for a magazine article. >
>-> >You can help by writing a small "dump" program which opens a named
>-> file >and displays its data in hexadecimal and ASCII format. You can
>-> use >*any* language and *any* hardware platform. I need debugged
code
>-> >however, not just an algorithm or description.
>-> >

>-> Bob Kematick replies:
>-> Am I the only person around who thinks this is a trivial task,in
>-> almost any language ?  What's the magazine, what's "comparative
>-> language research", and what's the point ?

>Awwwh, give the guy a break.  He just doesn't want us to work too hard.
>I agree that it would have been better to specify the output format
more
>precisely.

I figure the guy has thrown the gauntlet down, and was wondering how
many wise guys out there in APL land were going to submit the
traditional one line solution.  I don't support it as a coding approach,
but I was hoping to see some creativity here.  Instead of taking it as
an interesting (but fundamentally low value) challenge, people seem to
be more interested in flaming about the question rather than inventing
bizarre solutions.

Is everyone else (like me) so busy that they can't have some fun with
this?

Doug White



Sat, 24 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Please help with research
A challenge is a challenge.




        sidebyside readf '\autoexec.bat'

No doubt somebody will be able to parametrificate the hardwired
row width (16 here).

                                                Martin Neitzel



Sat, 24 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Please help with research

Quote:


> >I'm doing comparative language research for a magazine article.

> >You can help by writing a small "dump" program which opens a named file
> >and displays its data in hexadecimal and ASCII format. You can use
> >*any* language and *any* hardware platform. I need debugged code
> >however, not just an algorithm or description.

> Choose one of the following:

> 1) Do your own homework
> 2) Write magazine articles for which you are qualified to write.

You are not very kind, aren't you? This message has been crossposted to a
number of comp.lang groups, 18 to be correct. I can't write programs in all
these 18 mentioned languages (and some of the cl groups cover more than one
language, eg. comp.lang.misc), although I think I know many languages.

It is OK to ask people who are fit in these languages to do the job for you.
And don't you want to have your favourite language done the job well?

The following file dump is part of gforth, an ANS FORTH (running a number
of 32-bit platforms under Unix or DOS) under GPL:

The first line and the last statement (beginning with script?) use
special features of gforth to let this filedump be executed as a
Unix script. I editted it (and tested it), because some parts it uses
are inherent parts of other tools for gforth, and reused for the file
dump.

--------------------------------cut here--------------------------------
#! /usr/users/bernd/bin/gforth
\ file hex dump

\ gforth specific prefix: set output base and ignore redefinition of words

hex  warnings off

\ ANS compatibility

: <> ( n1 n2 -- flag )  = 0= ;

\ this is part of gforth tools

Variable /dump

: .4 ( addr -- addr' )


    char+ NEXT ;
: .chars ( addr -- )


        IF  drop [char] .  THEN  emit
    LOOP ;

: .line ( addr -- )
  dup .4 space .4 ." - " .4 space .4 drop  10 /dump +!  space .chars ;

\ this is the file dump code

Create buffer 10 allot

: dumpline ( addr handle -- flag )
  buffer 10 rot read-file throw
  dup /dump !  10 <> swap 6 u.r ." : "  buffer .line cr ;

: init  cr 10 base ! ;

: filedump  ( addr count -- )  init r/o bin open-file throw >r

  r> close-file throw ;

\ use filedump e.g. like
\  s" foo.file" filedump

\ and this adds scripting feature

script? [IF]

   alldump bye
[THEN]
--------------------------------cut here--------------------------------

Remeber this is part of a production code, and intented to produce
nice output, not to be just short.

--
Bernd Paysan
"Late answers are wrong answers!"
http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~paysan/



Sat, 24 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Please help with research


|> >I'm doing comparative language research for a magazine article.
|> >
|> >You can help by writing a small "dump" program which opens a named file
|> >and displays its data in hexadecimal and ASCII format. You can use
|> >*any* language and *any* hardware platform. I need debugged code
|> >however, not just an algorithm or description.
|> >
|>
|> Am I the only person around who thinks this is a trivial task,in almost
|> any language ?  What's the magazine, what's "comparative language
|> research", and what's the point ?
|>
|>
|> It would be at least a little more challenging if you wanted to edit the
|> hex data and resave the file. You would then be asking people to
|> recreate what they already certainly have available in their collection
|> of system utilities. Who has time for this kind of nonsense ?
|>
I think the request is not well stated (well let's say poorly stated).
I suggested "od" and got the response that what was wanted was not a
solution but some code.  I don't know what this person wants.  

Something more difinitive is needed.
|>

--
| Chick Racer                     Chevron Petroleum Technology Co. |
| (713) 596-2430                  P.O. Box 42832                   |

| 4119 Hayes Rd.                                                   |



Sun, 25 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Please help with research

Martin Neitzel writes on Tuesday, August 8:

Since 3!:3 produces the hex representation of its argument (as an
8-column literal matrix), these definitions can be shortened slightly:



The hex representation includes the array header, here excised by the
5&}. in "hex".



Sun, 25 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Please help with research
<<Who has time for this kind of nonsense ?>>

Unfortunately, I am called upon daily to do such trivial nonsense, as I
can do it and the research scientists cannot.  It is no sweat, I don't
demean them and they don't demean me.   It simply is 20% of my time:
reformatting and re-writing data.  It is like fetching an old bone: one
does it out of loyalty...However here I have none, so I will not ;-)



Sun, 25 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 25 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages 

1. Please help with research

2. Please help with research

3. Please help with research

4. Please help with research

5. Please help with research

6. Please help with research

7. Please help with research

8. Please help with research

9. Please help with research

10. The last 10% (was Re: Please help with research)

11. Please help with research

12. Please help with research

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software