Migrating APL+DOS to APL+WIN
Author Message
 Migrating APL+DOS to APL+WIN

The standard recommendation for migrating APL+DOS to +win
is that an application that has a lot of quad wput, wget,,,
should be redesigned and rewritten. This was difficult for a
client who had an APL app with a lot of QuadW.. activity, a population
of DOS users who didnt want to change and a need to continue
development of the APL app while dos to win conversion was in progress.
We have written a set of APL functions (about 400 lines of APL)
that replace the Quadw,,, and quad mouse etc functions and let the
application be migrated instantly.
The trick is that there is a main picture window that the user
thinks they are interacting with and a separate hidden window
that handles the keystrokes and mouse actions. On a 200MHz Pentium
the performance hit is negligible.
We have only tested the functions our client needs, and the approach
and the APL code are practical not elegant.
If anyone thinks the migration functions useful they should contact us.

--
Richard Hill
Adaptable Systems,   Melbourne, Australia

Wed, 11 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. APL+DOS to APL+WIN migration aid

2. APL+WIN and APL tutorials for CPCUG

3. Paradox and APL*PLUS II (Or APL+WIN) and Memo Fields

4. I-APL, Vanguard APL, and APL.68000

5. Working DOS Files with APL Win 3.0

6. Win application experience with Win+APL?

7. Migrating from APL to APL2

8. Migrate from DOS to Win

9. Trying to hire APL and DYALOG APL for Dallas

10. Converting Dyalog APL Multiple Assignments to APL*PLUS

11. Special Functions for APL (and making APL atractive for Science)

12. APL! (APL bang)