Where to start?
Author Message
 Where to start?

Hello,

I am interested in learning APL. The question is: where to start? I
downloaded dos version of apl from one of the sites mentioned in the faq.
I could, probably, also get a hold of linux version of apl interpreter (I
think I saw it somewhere.) I've never come across any books on APL, at
least as far as I can remember. Are there any? If so, anything in
particular for APL novice? I can program in C++, Pascal, Basic, Assembler
(6502 - good old times, and 80x86), and I know some Forth, so I am
not novice to programming.

I heard that APL is a language of choice for math and used widely by
actuaries (that's what I am majoring in.)

Thanks for help,
--
Bart Cichosz

Sat, 26 Jul 1997 02:59:09 GMT
 Where to start?

Quote:

>Hello,

>I am interested in learning APL. The question is: where
>to start? I downloaded dos version of apl from one of
>the sites mentioned in the faq. I could, probably, also
>get a hold of linux version of apl interpreter (I think
>I saw it somewhere.) I've never come across any books
>on APL, at least as far as I can remember. Are there
>any? If so, anything in particular for APL novice? I
>can program in C++, Pascal, Basic, Assembler (6502 -
>good old times, and 80x86), and I know some Forth, so I
>am not novice to programming.

>I heard that APL is a language of choice for math and
>used widely by actuaries (that's what I am majoring
>in.)

>Thanks for help,
>--
>Bart Cichosz

You might look at "APL2 at a Glance" by Brown, Pakin, and
Polivka (Prentice Hall, 1988) ISBN 0-13-038670-7.  It will get
you started in IBM's APL2 dialect of APL, if you choose to use
this book you should probably download TryAPL2 (DOS) from the
waterloo archive (or if you're using OS/2, buy APL2 for OS/2).
There are other books available, I'll let others jump in here
with their favorites.<g>
--Chuck Kennedy

Sun, 27 Jul 1997 01:01:23 GMT
 Where to start?

: You might look at "APL2 at a Glance" by Brown, Pakin, and
: Polivka (Prentice Hall, 1988) ISBN 0-13-038670-7.  It will get
: you started in IBM's APL2 dialect of APL, if you choose to use
: this book you should probably download TryAPL2 (DOS) from the
: waterloo archive (or if you're using OS/2, buy APL2 for OS/2).
: There are other books available, I'll let others jump in here
: with their favorites.<g>
: --Chuck Kennedy

Thank you and all the others that sent me e-mail on the subject. I have
downloaded the TryAPL2 from waterloo last nite, printed the manual, and
started having fun ;)

My first impression.. it definatelly is... different. Considering that it
took me 17 characters (unlike c) to write a function to compute sum of
squares - I think I am gonna like this language :)

Well.. back to my linear regression 'application' :) - could use it for
my applied stats class...

L8r and thanks again

--
Bart Cichosz

Sun, 27 Jul 1997 05:01:33 GMT

1. Can't start vw30 [was: Can't start vwnc30]

2. Start() only starting sometimes

3. Can't start vw30 [was: Can't start vwnc30]

4. Use Start Start Button

5. Use Start Start Button

6. How to start data acquisition when a sine wave starts or finishes

7. I need a timestamp in milliseconds that starts when my program starts

8. Start nidqsvr.exe when Windows starts?

9. (start..end) where start > end

10. apl11 start-up problems

11. Start your own business...today