APL2/PC Promotion
Author Message
 APL2/PC Promotion

Stu Smith,

Here's the promotion information for APL2/PC.  The product name is:

APL2 for the PC/DOS V1.02, PID# 5799-PGG, PRPQ#:RJ0411

The current price is $189.  This is a promotional price;  to
acquire the software at this price, your order must be made before
October 29, 1993.  Orders can be placed through an IBM Customer
Rerpresentative or by calling 1-800-IBM-CALL and specifying
department S60-IL when placing the order.

A free version of the product, called TryAPL2, is also available.

or call 1-408-463-APL2 (call collect if you like.)

Regards,
David Liebtag

Wed, 24 Jan 1996 06:39:32 GMT
 APL2/PC Promotion

Quote:

>Stu Smith,

>Here's the promotion information for APL2/PC.  The product name is:

>APL2 for the PC/DOS V1.02, PID# 5799-PGG, PRPQ#:RJ0411

>The current price is $189.  This is a promotional price;

     Considering I paid $630 for it, this is a good price.

     However it should be stated up front that APL2/PC is a frozen
product, originally made by a company that is now out of business,
Winchester Scientific, Cambridge England.

     The product was bought by IBM in order to keep it going,
but has little to no attention being devoted to the DOS version
in present time.  Therefore what you get is what you get.

     It works relatively well with a few caveats.

     It won't work with any known memory manager so you will have to
load everything low to run it.  It will however load itself high with
its own memory manager, and of course use your XMS memory, providing
large workspaces.  It will NOT do any virtual disk memory management
though.  But if you need more than 8 meg or 32 meg workspaces, you
should consider writing your data to disk with the shared processors.

     It is very compatible with mainframe APL2 and uses the )IN and
)OUT to transfer workspaces.  It does NOT support underlined
characters, but does suspport all normal characters, plus of course
the APL2 special set.  There are limits on function sizes, somewhere
around 500 lines, but if you are writing 500 line code I suggest you
get a course in programming.

     Since most if not all of the development attention is on APL2 for
OS2, you might consider moving to OS2, but that version of course
will cost you, as it isn't a frozen and dead product.

     So far I am pleased with APL2/DOS, except for the memory
management problem and the fact that the few bugs I have reported
will not be released in the DOS version any time soon because
they are not working on it.

     The technical support is good and cooperative.  The manual for
APL2/PC is the standard mainframe manual, so that says something for
compatibility.  I am in the middle of moving 20 years of APL
programming to my pc, so I will let you know if anything big
happens that you ought to know about.

     Homer

Wed, 24 Jan 1996 09:32:55 GMT
 APL2/PC Promotion

Quote:
>     However it should be stated up front that APL2/PC is a frozen
>product, originally made by a company that is now out of business,
>Winchester Scientific, Cambridge England.

  I it's not accurate to say APL2/PC is a frozen product.
  Within the last year APL2 has been rewritten from the IBM portable
  proprietary language it was originally coded in (in England) into C.
  So APL2 either already is or will be available on more platforms. Also,
  the session manager for APL2 is improved. For example if you
  type : 10000 100 shape iota 1000000 you only see the last 20
  lines of output, you don't have to wait for all 10000 lines to
  scroll by. Other improvements include more fonts, improvements in
  stuff APL2 programmers don't directly see (for example setting
  things up so APL2 programmers can make their programs run like
  mainframe applications with online help available at every step of
  the way) a file system for 'nouns', not as well thought out as STSC's
  keyed file system (or even J's in my opinion) but an improvement
  over having had nothing at all. My understanding is that at Palo Alto
  3 people are working full time developing more stuff. I have no
  idea if these 3 are among the many waiting for the axe :-(, but
  it's been rumored that IBM is still keen on APL2. You can expect
  that AGSS will be marketed more aggressively than ever (which is
  not saying alot) once the promotion ends.

   However, IMO, it will be a year or so before APL2 will be fully
   optimized and has a competitive-with-STSC like GUI package.

Quote:
> There are limits on function sizes, somewhere
>around 500 lines, but if you are writing 500 line code I suggest you
>get a course in programming.

  I find this comment hard to take seriously. IMO it shows how far
  removed the average person whose been away from college for many
  years is to todays environment.

Quote:
>     Since most if not all of the development attention is on APL2 for
>OS2, you might consider moving to OS2, but that version of course
>will cost you, as it isn't a frozen and dead product.

  Definitely.

  -emmett

Sat, 27 Jan 1996 12:17:50 GMT
 APL2/PC Promotion

Just a short question (or two, rather).
What is the mail adress to order APL2/PC under this promotion?
I've contacted the IBM people here in Norway, and they tell me that this
promotion is not available in Europe, but that I may order it from the U.S.
directly. (E-mail address, if it is possible to order that way, would be
great).

Is AGSS under the promotion?
I understand this is an as-is product.
What is the documentation like?
Does it provide good function documentation, so that one may use the functions
in user-written procedures, or does all have to be run inside the AGSS system?

Hope someone is willing to answer these questions... :-)
Greetings,
Pedro

--

Institute of Marine Research, Section for Pelagic Fish
P.O. Box 1870 - Nordnes

Sat, 27 Jan 1996 15:59:12 GMT
 APL2/PC Promotion
Since email bounced...

|> Just a short question (or two, rather).
|> What is the mail adress to order APL2/PC under this promotion?
|> I've contacted the IBM people here in Norway, and they tell me that this
|> promotion is not available in Europe, but that I may order it from the U.S.
|> directly. (E-mail address, if it is possible to order that way, would be
|> great).

Don't know much about IBM, but here's some from the faq. Hope it
helps.

APL Frequently Asked Questions  (well some, anyway)

IBM APL (APL2 and TryAPL2 [free*] for PCs, APL2/6000 for RS/6000, IBM
         mainframes)
        APL Products (M46)
        IBM Santa Teresa, Dept. M46/D12
        555 Bailey Avenue
        San Jose, California 95141, USA
        Voice-mail: 408-463-APL2 (408-463-2752)

        APL2 for the PC is, in the USA, part number 6242936 from "IBM
        Direct" at 800-IBM-2468 (800-426-2468) or product 5799-PGG
        from your IBM representative.

Sam Sirlin

Sat, 27 Jan 1996 23:57:27 GMT

1. APL2/PC display font problem

2. DIF files & APL2/PC

3. APL2/PC display font problem

4. COMPLEX.QQ : necessary adjustments for use by APL2/PC

5. 32-bit APL2/PC under Windows

6. APL2/PC; ATF-file format

7. APL2/PC and DRDOS

8. memory managers & APL2/PC

9. APL2/PC Exchange Assembly files

10. 32-bit APL2/PC

11. IBM apl2/PC 1.02

12. APL2/PC and subdirectory-library mapping