Unicode and Underscored alphabetics
Author Message
 Unicode and Underscored alphabetics

IBM will present a request to the Unicode consortium this Friday
that underscored alphabetics be included in the Unicode standard as
unique characters (as opposed to the underscore property being applied
to a character). We do not used the underscored alphabetics on our
PC and workstation products and we discourage use on the mainframe
systems. Nevertheless, there are many many legacy applications in
existence and the underscored alphabet will be used for decades to
come. The assignment of these characters to unique positions in
the Unicode standard will allow intelligent processing and transmission
of code that uses them.

We would appreciate support for this from the other vendors who have
implementations that use this alphabet and from the APL community.

Jim

Sat, 15 Mar 1997 02:50:19 GMT
 Unicode and Underscored alphabetics

Quote:

>IBM will present a request to the Unicode consortium this Friday
>that underscored alphabetics be included in the Unicode standard as
>unique characters (as opposed to the underscore property being applied
>to a character). We do not used the underscored alphabetics on our
>PC and workstation products and we discourage use on the mainframe
>systems. Nevertheless, there are many many legacy applications in
>existence and the underscored alphabet will be used for decades to
>come. The assignment of these characters to unique positions in
>the Unicode standard will allow intelligent processing and transmission
>of code that uses them.

>We would appreciate support for this from the other vendors who have
>implementations that use this alphabet and from the APL community.

No support from this end, Jim. I don't think that many people care
about underscores as such, compared to the ability to distinguish
one case from another.

It's a waste of time, in my book, particularly when you realize that
you can't underscore anything except a-z. Oh, and delta of course,
that ever-important alphabetic.

If I was on the Unicode consortium, I'd speak agin' it. Maybe you
can do that on my behalf?
Thanks. Bob

Sun, 16 Mar 1997 00:29:42 GMT

1. Unicode and underscored alphabetics

2. ANNOUNCE: unicode 0.4, command line unicode database query tool

3. Upper-case vs. Underscored

4. Regex \w does not match underscore

5. File Convert Probs - Underscore?

6. C55H and Underscores

7. Documentation for __dbDelim() and other double underscore functions

8. VO - Underscore character in SLE

9. How to suppress underscores in function names in MSC

10. Some thoughts on LO, Collaboration, browsing and the underscore

11. Oberon/F and underscores in foreign-code identifiers

12. Use of underscores in VHDL code