XP and APL font for APL-PLUS II?
Author Message
 XP and APL font for APL-PLUS II?

I have recently upgraded to XP-Pro. The aplfont.exe program from 1992 does
not work, even when in full screen mode before running. How can I get APL
characters in a DOS window under XP?

I did find that the APL seems to work fine without e=2, which gives back
some of the missing key combinations.

Thanks, Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

Sun, 19 Sep 2004 15:11:18 GMT
 XP and APL font for APL-PLUS II?

Quote:

> I have recently upgraded to XP-Pro. The aplfont.exe program from 1992 does
> not work, even when in full screen mode before running. How can I get APL
> characters in a DOS window under XP?

There is always the solution of "code page switching" - get a font editor
and make your own font (or use a preconstructed code page), call it
"foo.cpi" with APL code page 910. Then in CONFIG.SYS you add a line

   devicehigh=C:\somepath\display.sys con=(ega,437,1)

with the appropriate codepage for your locale (437 is USEN).

When you want to use the APL font, you do

   mode con cp prepare=((910) c:\somepath\foo.cpi)
   mode con cp select=910

and your font will persist for any DOS program that does not explicitly
invoke another code page.

There are pre-existing DOS codepages for IBM APL2. You can find PD font
editors to establish missing characters and the proper collating sequence.

Unfortunately, I don't think this works in Windows' brain-dead DOS box,
unless there is a registry hack for changing the supported TT font from
Lucida Console or Courier to something else. Of course you can also edit the
font for dosapp.fon, vgaxxx.fon, or 8514XXX.fon. That would be a large
headache.

-drl

Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:44:47 GMT

1. Paradox and APL*PLUS II (Or APL+WIN) and Memo Fields

2. Converting Dyalog APL Multiple Assignments to APL*PLUS

3. Need Assistance to Use APL*Plus II/386 Under WINNT

4. Porting APL*PLUS/PC to APL.68000

5. Porting Mainframe APL to APL*PLUS/PC

6. Translating COMPLEX.AWS from STSC APL-PLUS to generic APL

7. APLBUG : MANUGISTICS demos APL PLUS II release 5 : Software Drwng

8. STSC APL*PLUS II Version 4

9. Dyalog APL vs APL*PLUS UNX

10. STSC APL*PLUS for Mac II: any patches?

11. APL PLUS II V5.2 Graphic Init

12. Converting - APL PLUS II 386 - WinAPL