FW: Visual J help texts
Author Message
 FW: Visual J help texts

 > I have checked the ftp site and downloaded both the Dictionary/Intro doc
 > and the Users manual......only to discover that the *.hlp files
apparently
 > can only be read from within the J software (some sort of online help, I
 > imagine).

These *.hlp files are normal Windows help files and are quite independent
of J. All you need to do is run Windows and double click on the files and
you get a lot of valuable information.

You can use any valid windows tools to extract them into some other form
such as print out a topic. Copy an example and paste it into a script in J
or past it into any editor you like as long as you follow any normal
copyright
rules.

The helpfiles are very well written and most helpful.

You can put J freeware into the hands of novice users and together with
these helpfiles they are up and running J in minutes.

Of course you are much better off with the full system even if the helpfiles
describe all the facilities of J.

The form editor is a major part of the visual J and you get a description of
it in the helpfiles that come with the freeware but you need the full system
to see it in action to fully appreciate its real simplicity and beauty.

Anyone familiar with Visual Basic and the Visual techniques will be
impressed
with how much faster and easier  it is to use Visual J than Visual Basic.
Not
to mention Visual C++.

In Visual J you switch between the form editor and the code by clicking the
mouse. The code is generated for you as you go along and the visual objects
are closely tied their respective code.

It is amazing how little code you need to run complicated forms. And then
you slide in a few J lines and you have a very sophisticated system in
matter
of minutes.

The psychological barrier of learning apl is nonexistent in Visual J.

Yesterday I showed and gave the freeware to the head of development group
who had not heard about J before. He was very skeptical at first.

This person is on the Visual Basic level and not very good with complicated
programming which he is proud of assigning to somebody else. He installed
J in a few minutes.

I showed him:

   3+6
9
   a=.3
   b=.6
   plus=.+
   a plus b
9
   a=.3 45 67 8
   a plus b
9 51 73 14
   wdinfo'hello kalli'
(up popped a window with the text "hello kalli". Kalli was impressed)

then showed him the helpfacilities and showed him the text on the form
editor

He is seriously thinking about J now !!

It does not take any fancy stuff. Most people are simple and like simple
tools.

Of course you get the books in print if buy the product which is something I
can highly recommend because even if the freeware is impressive then the
full system is so much more. Besides the form editor you then have the
ability to dynamically exchange data with Excel, Word etc and sql databases
and they can be on other machines.

If you are interested in really neat programming you can set up J servers on
separate machines and then let different clients talk to them. The clients
can
be written in J of course and they can be written in Visual Basic or
whatever.

With the system you get an example of Visual Basic talking to a J server
using all the power of J from Visual Basic !!!

On the new Windows 95 these techniques work particularly well and I can
recommend them highly.

The J helpfiles on Windows 95 work the same as all the helpfiles that
come with Windows 95 and they of course are much easier to use than
in ordinary Windows.

I would recommend that J be introduced into the Visual conferences on the
Web. I did not see it there when I was searching.

I have found it easier to tell people about J by telling them about its
visual
options and object orientation rather than telling them about its roots in
apl.

/Gosi

Wed, 21 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 FW: Visual J help texts

Quote:

> > I have checked the ftp site and downloaded both the Dictionary/Intro doc
> > and the Users manual......only to discover that the *.hlp files
>apparently
> > can only be read from within the J software (some sort of online help, I
> > imagine).

>These *.hlp files are normal Windows help files and are quite independent
>of J. All you need to do is run Windows and double click on the files and
>you get a lot of valuable information.

>You can use any valid windows tools to extract them into some other form
>such as print out a topic. Copy an example and paste it into a script in J
>or past it into any editor you like as long as you follow any normal
>copyright
>rules.

I have read the article quoted above and I would be very happy to be pointed to the
ftp site where it is possible to download Visual J.

Many thanks in anticipation to anybody who will help.

Giancarlo
Giancarlo A. Mori
Geologist - Computer consultant
23 Viale Ojetti - 50137 Florence, Italy
          Tel.:   +39-55-477-881 / +39-55-600-369
          Fax:    +39-55-470392

Sun, 25 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 FW: Visual J help texts
Europeans might prefer to get a copy of "J Freeware for Windows" from
        ftp.gaertner.de:/pub/pc/jfw.exe
rather than from Waterloo, Canada.

                                                Martin Neitzel
Gaertner Datensysteme, Braunschweig                     Martin Neitzel

"Alles wird gut."

Mon, 26 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. JS-EAI with *JS*-callback

2. js.exception 3279.js

3. Please help Visual Basic Programer with simple read/write text file routine---Real Basic 2.1

4. FW: Visual J freeware ftp site

5. Fw [Job] Smalltalk/Visual Age Position in Southern California

6. Fw: Visual Flagship Annoucement

7. help: js generated vrml

8. PHP RSS 2 JS help?

9. JS/NOCLOSE virus plz help