ICFP Functional Programming Contest 
Author Message
 ICFP Functional Programming Contest

 ICFP'98, the 1998 International Conference on Functional
Programming (ICFP), runs a contest to which we can participate.

 Here is what they say.

"   - It's open to all players. Teams are allowed.

    - There are prizes: cash, wisdom, peer recognition, and various
      degrees of satisfaction. Special prizes have been allocated
      for student winners.

    - The web page is http://www.*-*-*.com/
      Full details are here.

    - It starts August 27 at 5 pm, and will run for 3 days.
      But you will want to register now, set up your team,
      and perhaps do a little preparation.

    - Winners to be announced at the 1998 International Conference
      on Functional Programming (ICFP) in Baltimore at the end
      of September.

Contest Overview

On Thursday, August 27, 1998, a challenge task will be posted on the
Internet. Teams will have 72 hours to implement a program to perform
this task and submit this program to the contest judges. The judges
will perform a competition among the submitted programs on a
four-processor 150MHz Pentium-Pro box with 128 mbytes of memory
running Linux SMP.

Although the precise task chosen will not be revealed until the
contest begins, performance matters. Algorithm cleverness matters.
We have specifically chosen a parallel machine for the contest so
that programs may exploit parallelism. Programming languages that
help programmers to rapidly construct complex systems may allow
contestants to attempt particularly sophisticated implementations in
the 72 hours allotted for programming.

This programming contest is being conducted by ICFP, which implies a
context of functional programming. However, rather than debate the
definition of a "functional programming language," we will allow
submitted programs to be written in any language whatsoever, as long
as it has an implementation for Linux x86.  
"

 Among the prizes, the first prize is $1000, plus books, plus
"Deep satisfaction: Finally, the contest judges agree to state at
least once during the presentation of the awards that the winning
team's programming language is "the superior programming tool of
choice for discriminating hackers." "

 Hope some of us will participate! Again see

                      http://www.*-*-*.com/



Fri, 09 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 ICFP Functional Programming Contest
Keywords:

Quote:

> ICFP'98, the 1998 International Conference on Functional
>Programming (ICFP), runs a contest to which we can participate.

> Here is what they say.

>"   - It's open to all players. Teams are allowed.

>    - There are prizes: cash, wisdom, peer recognition, and various
>      degrees of satisfaction. Special prizes have been allocated
>      for student winners.

>    - The web page is http://www.ai.mit.edu/extra/icfp-contest/
>      Full details are here.

>    - It starts August 27 at 5 pm, and will run for 3 days.
>      But you will want to register now, set up your team,
>      and perhaps do a little preparation.

>    - Winners to be announced at the 1998 International Conference
>      on Functional Programming (ICFP) in Baltimore at the end
>      of September.

>Contest Overview

>On Thursday, August 27, 1998, a challenge task will be posted on the
>Internet. Teams will have 72 hours to implement a program to perform
>this task and submit this program to the contest judges. The judges
>will perform a competition among the submitted programs on a
>four-processor 150MHz Pentium-Pro box with 128 mbytes of memory
>running Linux SMP.

>Although the precise task chosen will not be revealed until the
>contest begins, performance matters. Algorithm cleverness matters.
>We have specifically chosen a parallel machine for the contest so
>that programs may exploit parallelism. Programming languages that
>help programmers to rapidly construct complex systems may allow
>contestants to attempt particularly sophisticated implementations in
>the 72 hours allotted for programming.

This definitely sounds like someone has thrown done the gauntlet to us
APL fanatics.  One problem is that I don't know of too many people
running APL under Linux.

Doug White

- Show quoted text -

Quote:
>This programming contest is being conducted by ICFP, which implies a
>context of functional programming. However, rather than debate the
>definition of a "functional programming language," we will allow
>submitted programs to be written in any language whatsoever, as long
>as it has an implementation for Linux x86.  
>"

> Among the prizes, the first prize is $1000, plus books, plus
>"Deep satisfaction: Finally, the contest judges agree to state at
>least once during the presentation of the awards that the winning
>team's programming language is "the superior programming tool of
>choice for discriminating hackers." "

> Hope some of us will participate! Again see

>                      http://www.ai.mit.edu/extra/icfp-contest/



Fri, 09 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 ICFP Functional Programming Contest


Quote:
>This definitely sounds like someone has thrown done the gauntlet to us
>APL fanatics.  One problem is that I don't know of too many people
>running APL under Linux.

In the Soliton Vendor Forum at APL98 in Rome, we learnt that Soliton
are.

Ray Cannon
Computer Consultant and Webmaster of www.vector.org.uk

Compuserve account 100430,740



Fri, 16 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 3 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. ICFP functional programming contest -- deadline correction

2. Reminder -- ICFP functional programming contest starts Thursday!

3. ICFP functional programming contest -- deadline correction

4. Reminder -- ICFP functional programming contest starts Thursday!

5. ICFP functional programming contest -- deadline correction

6. Reminder -- ICFP functional programming contest starts Thursday!

7. ICFP functional programming contest -- deadline correction

8. Reminder -- ICFP functional programming contest starts Thursday!

9. ICFP'99 Functional Programming Contest

10. ICFP'98 Functional Programming Contest

11. ICFP'99 Functional Programming Contest

12. ICFP'99 Functional Programming Contest

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software