3270 emulation & APL keyboard
Author Message
 3270 emulation & APL keyboard

Hi !!!!!
Using APL on IBM mainframe using 3270 emulation.
I try using APL keyboard on "ibm personal communication" ver. 4.1 client
for Windows
95.
I press "ctl/f8" and I receive "apl" on the status line.
I try to press "alt/H" to get "H underlined" but the "help" drops off the
menu.
It should behave like that  when the APL mode is off.
So entering the APL mode was supposed to block the default ALT behaviour.
.
On another computer it  behaves OK !!!! I am able to type underlined
letters, only if I press ALT and release it without pressing another key I
receive the menu..
Any idea what went wrong?
I tried to find out what are the 2 computers differences, and could not
find anything significant.
Any idea?
Thank you, Yoram.

Mon, 27 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 3270 emulation & APL keyboard

Quote:

> Hi !!!!!
> Using APL on IBM mainframe using 3270 emulation.
> I try using APL keyboard on "ibm personal communication" ver. 4.1 client
> for Windows
> 95.
> I press "ctl/f8" and I receive "apl" on the status line.
> I try to press "alt/H" to get "H underlined" but the "help" drops off the
> menu.
> It should behave like that  when the APL mode is off.
> So entering the APL mode was supposed to block the default ALT behaviour.
> .
> On another computer it  behaves OK !!!! I am able to type underlined
> letters, only if I press ALT and release it without pressing another key I
> receive the menu..
> Any idea what went wrong?
> I tried to find out what are the 2 computers differences, and could not
> find anything significant.
> Any idea?
> Thank you, Yoram.

I suspect you have the menu bar visible on one machine but not the
other. If the menu bar is present you will find ALT + any key on the
menu bar will cause the menu bar to activate instead of inputting the
underlined letter.
I hide the menu bar and use ALT by itself when I want access to the
menus.

Dave

Mon, 27 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 3270 emulation & APL keyboard

The menu bar is visible on both machines, and they behave exactly the same
(at lease where ALT considered) when not in APL mode. In APL mode, looks
like one of the machines "blocks" the "windows wide" alt, and then alt
works as it should with apl.
On the other machine it does not happen.
I have nowhere else to ask, because the 3270 or emulation people normally
ask "what is apl?".
Any more ideas?
Yoram.

Quote:

>> Hi !!!!!
>> Using APL on IBM mainframe using 3270 emulation.
>> I try using APL keyboard on "ibm personal communication" ver. 4.1
client
>> for Windows
>> 95.
>> I press "ctl/f8" and I receive "apl" on the status line.
>> I try to press "alt/H" to get "H underlined" but the "help" drops off
the
>> menu.
>> It should behave like that  when the APL mode is off.
>> So entering the APL mode was supposed to block the default ALT
behaviour.
>> .
>> On another computer it  behaves OK !!!! I am able to type underlined
>> letters, only if I press ALT and release it without pressing another key
>> receive the menu..
>> Any idea what went wrong?
>> I tried to find out what are the 2 computers differences, and could not
>> find anything significant.
>> Any idea?
>> Thank you, Yoram.

>I suspect you have the menu bar visible on one machine but not the
>other. If the menu bar is present you will find ALT + any key on the
>menu bar will cause the menu bar to activate instead of inputting the
>underlined letter.
>I hide the menu bar and use ALT by itself when I want access to the
>menus.

>Dave

Tue, 28 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 3270 emulation & APL keyboard

Please don't work too hard.
The problem is solved.
Yoram.

Quote:
>Hi !!!!!
>Using APL on IBM mainframe using 3270 emulation.
>I try using APL keyboard on "ibm personal communication" ver. 4.1 client
>for Windows
>95.
>I press "ctl/f8" and I receive "apl" on the status line.
>I try to press "alt/H" to get "H underlined" but the "help" drops off the
>menu.
>It should behave like that  when the APL mode is off.
>So entering the APL mode was supposed to block the default ALT behaviour.

>On another computer it  behaves OK !!!! I am able to type underlined
>letters, only if I press ALT and release it without pressing another key
>receive the menu..
>Any idea what went wrong?
>I tried to find out what are the 2 computers differences, and could not
>find anything significant.
>Any idea?
>Thank you, Yoram.

Fri, 31 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. APL characters in 3270 emulation

2. 3270 Emulation

3. 3270 Emulation and File Up/Download

4. IBM 3270 Emulation + Clarion 5 ABC

5. MF and 3270 Mainframe emulation

6. keyboard -> mouse emulation TSR

7. keyboard emulation

8. Anyone have 3270 Terminal Emulation tools for VW 2.5.x?

9. expect <-> EBCDIC (3270) emulation?

10. Workspace emulation in J (was Re: APL-J discussions)

11. TN3270/Mac APL terminal emulation

12. Looking for apl emulation on a mac