APL+Win: using Quad-NI to connect to web server
Author Message
 APL+Win: using Quad-NI to connect to web server

I am trying to use quad-ni (network interface) in APL+Win to connect to any
commercial web server and navigate within it.  The web servers are not under
my control - I am setting up as a client only.  However, when I invoke the
Connect method, I always get a 10035 error, "Operation would block."  Even
when I use an onConnectNotify event handler, I cannot get a connection.
Does anybody have experience setting up a rudimentary web browser facility
using quad-ni?  Is quad-ni not appropriate for this purpose?

Thanks for any help.

Sun, 21 Mar 2004 01:40:42 GMT
 APL+Win: using Quad-NI to connect to web server
HI,
 this is Mark Osborne responding with Colyn Phillips

First, you should be able to do what you are trying to do.
I tried and had no problems.  You didn't indicate any details,
so I'm going to guess as to what might be wrong with your
attempt.  As an example I did the following:

    []ni 'Socket'
10
    []ni 'GetHostByName' 'earthlink.net'
.... (long list of internet addresses)
     10 []ni 'onConnectNotify' '"connected"'
     10 []ni 'Connect' 80 'first address from list above'
-1 10035    (ewouldblock)
connected   (result of triggering the notify event)
     10 []ni 'Connect' 80 'same address'
-1 10056    (already connected)

The 10035 is expected because the Connect action returns
immediately and the connection does not complete until the
server does an Accept.  The triggered notify event indicates
the connect did succeed.

Perhaps you are running into one of the following:
  You didn't setup the onConnectNotify correctly or soon enough.
  The internet address you specified was not valid or not running an HTTP
   server.
  Perhaps you are on an internal network and port 80 is proxied to some
  other port number.

I know we have setup a web crawler as an HTTP client from APL+WIN
using []NI and it works.

I hope this helps.

/Mark and Colyn

Quote:
> I am trying to use quad-ni (network interface) in APL+Win to connect to
any
> commercial web server and navigate within it.  The web servers are not
under
> my control - I am setting up as a client only.  However, when I invoke the
> Connect method, I always get a 10035 error, "Operation would block."  Even
> when I use an onConnectNotify event handler, I cannot get a connection.
> Does anybody have experience setting up a rudimentary web browser facility
> using quad-ni?  Is quad-ni not appropriate for this purpose?

> Thanks for any help.

Sun, 21 Mar 2004 03:58:36 GMT
 APL+Win: using Quad-NI to connect to web server
10035 is OK.  Accept the "error" and go on.  If you have the full setup
APL+Win, try the HttpSpy function in the NI workspace in the Examples
directory.  Brent

Quote:
> I am trying to use quad-ni (network interface) in APL+Win to connect to
any
> commercial web server and navigate within it.  The web servers are not
under
> my control - I am setting up as a client only.  However, when I invoke the
> Connect method, I always get a 10035 error, "Operation would block."  Even
> when I use an onConnectNotify event handler, I cannot get a connection.
> Does anybody have experience setting up a rudimentary web browser facility
> using quad-ni?  Is quad-ni not appropriate for this purpose?

> Thanks for any help.

Sun, 21 Mar 2004 10:32:15 GMT

1. Guidance using VA Web Connect - taking fat client and making it a multi-user server app

2. fail to connect to the web server using telnet module

3. Quad TF for APL+WIN 2000

4. QUAD-REPL in APL+Win

5. APL+Win 4.0, SSL and []ni

6. ASCII APL (Submission to APL Quote-Quad) *LONG*

7. Connecting to a web server

8. Smalltalk (VW) connected to a Web server

9. FTP server in APL+WIN

10. Using Java widgets with Visual Age Smalltalk Web Connect

11. Connecting to MSSQL server using Clarion EE5

12. connecting to TLS server using TLS package