Worried about Y2K?
Author Message
 Worried about Y2K?

Come to comp.software.year-2000 where the expert programers debate the issues,
discuss the facts, dispell the rumors and generally have a wonderful time trying
to figure out if this is the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning?

Fri, 10 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Worried about Y2K?
The world is about to end. Save your files.

--
Richard H

#include "sig.h"

Quote:
> Come to comp.software.year-2000 where the expert programers debate the
issues,
> discuss the facts, dispell the rumors and generally have a wonderful time
trying
> to figure out if this is the beginning of the end or the end of the
beginning?

Sat, 11 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Worried about Y2K?

Quote:

>Come to comp.software.year-2000 where the expert programers debate the issues,
>discuss the facts, dispell the rumors and generally have a wonderful time trying
>to figure out if this is the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning?

Time left ;-) is better spent going to www.firmware.com and seeing
what the real issues are and what the real fixes are.  Tho' I guess it
depends on whether you're into facts or just endless debate.

Peter

Remove the NOWHERE from reply address

Sat, 11 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Worried about Y2K?

Quote:
>Come to comp.software.year-2000 where the expert programers debate the
issues,
>discuss the facts, dispell the rumors and generally have a wonderful time
trying
>to figure out if this is the beginning of the end or the end of the
beginning?

The c.s.y2k group is indeed quite interesting, look at it every day.

There are a fair number of crossposts to alt.misc.survivalism to give
you an idea of the breadth of readers of that ng.

However, the comp.software.year-2000.tech  newsgroup is moderated, and
the discussion there tend to be more technical.  Unfortunately, not all
servers carry that group, so if you can't find it you need to make some
calls to get it added.

Andy Kushner

Sat, 11 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Worried about Y2K?

Quote:

>>Come to comp.software.year-2000 where the expert programers debate the
>issues,
>>discuss the facts, dispell the rumors and generally have a wonderful time
>trying
>>to figure out if this is the beginning of the end or the end of the
>beginning?

>The c.s.y2k group is indeed quite interesting, look at it every day.

>There are a fair number of crossposts to alt.misc.survivalism to give
>you an idea of the breadth of readers of that ng.

>However, the comp.software.year-2000.tech  newsgroup is moderated, and
>the discussion there tend to be more technical.  Unfortunately, not all
>servers carry that group, so if you can't find it you need to make some
>calls to get it added.

>Andy Kushner

FYI, Volume 28 #3 of APL Quote Quad will feature several articles on Y2K
issues, particularly as they apply to APL.

                 -David E. Siegel

Sat, 11 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Worried about Y2K?

Quote:
>FYI, Volume 28 #3 of APL Quote Quad will feature several articles on Y2K
>issues, particularly as they apply to APL.

Will it be published this millenium?

Sat, 11 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Worried about Y2K?

Quote:

> Come to comp.software.year-2000 where the expert programers debate the issues,

If you is on of the programers and the rest of you do not even know how
to spel-chek
your mesages it is probably the end of the end of yor exper cariers.

--------------------------------------
Gosi

Sat, 11 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Worried about Y2K?

Quote:

>>FYI, Volume 28 #3 of APL Quote Quad will feature several articles on Y2K
>>issues, particularly as they apply to APL.

>Will it be published this millenium?

Yes.

Vol 28 #1 and Vol 28 #2 are now at the printers, and will be mailed as soon as
the printer has them ready.

We are now working on a definite delivery schedule for future issues of Quote
Quad, but  the Y2K issue is close to ready, and should be delivered to the ACM
for printing within a month, two at the outside.

Expect to hear more on the future schedule of Quote Quad by the end of March or
the first week of April, if not sooner.

                 -David E. Siegel

Sat, 11 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Worried about Y2K?
Hi Bjorn,

    Programmers do knot knead to know howl to spell.  They only have too bee
consistent in their miss-spellings!

regards

Jerry Gitomer

Quote:

>> Come to comp.software.year-2000 where the expert programers debate the
issues,

>If you is on of the programers and the rest of you do not even know how
>to spel-chek
>your mesages it is probably the end of the end of yor exper cariers.

>--------------------------------------
>Gosi

Mon, 13 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Worried about Y2K?

Quote:

>Hi Bjorn,

>    Programmers do knot knead to know howl to spell.  They only have too
bee
>consistent in their miss-spellings!

If you people were real APL programmers you would not need to know how to
spell: all names are 1 character.

Wed, 15 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Worried about Y2K?

Quote:
>If you people were real APL programmers you would not need to know how to
>spell: all names are 1 character.

Personally, I don't approve of 1-character names even for most temporaries, and
never for anything but very simple variables created, used and discarded in say
1-4 lines of code (indices, counters, bit vectors and the like)

                 -David E. Siegel

Wed, 15 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Worried about Y2K?

Quote:

>>Hi Bjorn,

>>    Programmers do knot knead to know howl to spell.  They only have too
>bee
>>consistent in their miss-spellings!
>If you people were real APL programmers you would not need to know how to
>spell: all names are 1 character.

Obviously, someone who doesn't have an iota of a clue...  the only significant
character length is, of course, 3, as many ancient APL implementations had
only three significant letters.

Also, the need for proper spelling does not disappear with even the reduction
of names to single letters: one needs to know which single symbol to use.

--
|\/| Randy A MacDonald       |"We ARE the weirdos, mister!"

     BSc(Math) UNBF '83      | APL: If you can say it, it's done.

     I use Real J            | Also http://www.godin.com/godin/
------------------------------------------------<-NTP>----{ gnat }-

Thu, 16 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Worried about Y2K?

Quote:

> >If you people were real APL programmers you would not need to know how to
> >spell: all names are 1 character.

> Obviously, someone who doesn't have an iota of a clue...  the only significant
> character length is, of course, 3, as many ancient APL implementations had
> only three significant letters.

I seem to recall that old APL implementations (e.g. APLSV and, I believe,
APL\360) retained the first 77 characters of identifier names.

--- Brian

Fri, 17 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 26 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Worried about Y2K?

2. Worried about Y2K?

3. Y2K Weather Report # 8 - A Y2K spring.

4. Y2K Weather Report # 8 - A Y2K spring.

5. COBOL's HIGH-VALUE and Y2K problems (was Re: Engines to Die for Y2K

6. Y2K Weather Report # 8 - A Y2K spring.

7. Don't Worry: Your Computer Is Not After You, or Your Job

8. Are these messages anything to worry about?

9. One Worry for 2.2

10. i18n worries

11. Tcl Socket Worries.

12. Scroll Bar Worries