profile.js
Author Message
 profile.js

Years ago I was quite familiar with apl and more recently I played
around with some of the free versions of J.

I recently purchased J version 3.1 for linux.  I know that it doesn't
come with a session manager, but it doesn't seem to come with a
"profile.js" file that provides even minimal functionality.  I
do expect to spend some time learning J, but I would like, from
the beginning, to be able to perform what were called "workspace"
functions in APL.  Specifically,
I'd like to be able

  1.  Save my current workspace (file), say by typing:  "save new.ws"
  2.  Restore it, say by typing "load old.ws"
  3.  Load functions from an existing workspace (file)

and simlar things provided in APL by the commands that began with an ")".

I know the "!:" commands do this sort of thing, but remembering them
makes little sense for a beginner.  When I try to make them into a command
by, for example,

    system:  =. 2!:0

Wed, 14 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 profile.js

David G. Cantor:
   I recently purchased J version 3.1 for linux.

Do you mean really mean J release 3?

Because J release 1 version 3.1 doesn't seem like the sort of thing
that you should worry about (just upgrade to J release 1 version 7).

--
Raul

Fri, 16 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 profile.js

Quote:

> Years ago I was quite familiar with apl and more recently I played
> around with some of the free versions of J.

> I recently purchased J version 3.1 for linux. I know that it doesn't
> come with a session manager, but it doesn't seem to come with a
> "profile.js" file that provides even minimal functionality.

I do not know about J version 3.1 for Linux but I do know
about J3 for Windows and it does contain profile.js.

It is located in the same directory as the J executor, the root
directory for J.

> do expect to spend some time learning J, but I would like, from
> the beginning, to be able to perform what were called "workspace"
> functions in APL.  Specifically,
> I'd like to be able

>   1.  Save my current workspace (file), say by typing:  "save new.ws"

You create scripts in J and write your verbs, nouns etc in the script
and you save the script(s)

Quote:
>   2.  Restore it, say by typing "load old.ws"

You open or load the scripts depending on if you want to edit
the script or just use it.

Quote:
>   3.  Load functions from an existing workspace (file)

There are nice facilities in J that will assist you in doing this:

require, uread and boot

Take a look at those and how they work.

You dived your objects into various locales to make your system
easier to maintain and manage.

I have found it easier to concentrate on scripts and locales rather
than trying to emulate APL in J.

--

http://www2.simi.is/~gosi
http://www.jsoftware.com

Sat, 17 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. J script file profile.js

2. JS-EAI with *JS*-callback

3. js.exception 3279.js

4. ANNOUNCE: Profile 1.0 (Simple Tcl Profiling)

5. NB. gray.js: a J verb that generates a grayscale postscript image from a 2d array

6. lapackTest.js

7. JS valueOf() in RB ?

8. JS for functional programming?

9. JS for functional programming?