Spencer APL2 to APL*PLUS III conversion
Author Message
 Spencer APL2 to APL*PLUS III conversion

Does anyone out there know if it is possible to transfer functions in
Spencer APL2 workspace on the Macintosh to APL*PLUS III on a PC? I am
looking for the procedure to do this if anyone has done this. Thank
you.

Lance Pawlikowski

Fri, 05 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Spencer APL2 to APL*PLUS III conversion

Quote:
> Does anyone out there know if it is possible to transfer functions in
> Spencer APL2 workspace on the Macintosh to APL*PLUS III on a PC?

Yes, indeed.  I've been meaning to send the following info to Sam Sirlin
for inclusion in the APL FAQ.

                                                Jim

                     *       *       *       *

The APLASCII transliteration system can be used to transfer workspaces
between any of the following APL systems:

   - APL*PLUS (/PC, II/386, and III/Windows)
   - IBM APL2 (mainframe, workstation, and PC)
   - Dyalog APL (DOS, Windows, and Unix)
   - APL.68000 on a Macintosh
   - Sharp APL (/PC, ISIAPL, ISIWIN, SAX, and SAM)

First, obtain the APLASCII workspaces for the sending and receiving APL
systems.  They can be found at:

   ftp://archive.uwaterloo.ca/languages/apl/workspaces/aplascii/

Install the workspaces as directed in the "readme" file in this
directory and the DESCRIBE variable in the APLASCII workspace.
(Installation produces a workspace named A2A.)

Use the following steps to transfer a workspace:

1.  On the sending APL system, execute:
      )LOAD yourws          - load the workspace to be exported
      )COPY A2A             - get the transfer functions
      DUMPWS 'filename'     - write the workspace to file

2.  Transfer the file created by DUMPWS.  It's an ordinary ASCII text
    file, so it can be sent via e-mail or any other means.

3.  On the receiving APL system, execute:
      )CLEAR
      )SYMBOLS 1000         - may be needed on some APLs
      )COPY A2A             - get the transfer functions
      LOADWS 'filename'     - read the transfer file
      #EX GRPA2A            - erase the A2A programs (# is quad)
      )SAVE yourws

Fri, 05 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Spencer APL2 to APL*PLUS III conversion

Quote:
>Does anyone out there know if it is possible to transfer functions in
>Spencer APL2 workspace on the Macintosh to APL*PLUS III on a PC? I am
>looking for the procedure to do this if anyone has done this. Thank
>you.
>Lance Pawlikowski

Is Spencer APL2 identical at APL68000? If yes, just do:
APL68000:  )LOAD workspace
           )OUT 0 nameATF  (0 is your floppy)
In MacOS: place dot between name and ATF and put floppy in drive A: on PC
APL*PLUS:  ]IN A:NAME.ATF     (notice "]" instead of ")".

Thats all there is to it.

...................................Eke van Batenburg

Sat, 06 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Spencer APL2 to APL*PLUS III conversion

Quote:
>Does anyone out there know if it is possible to transfer functions in
>Spencer APL2 workspace on the Macintosh to APL*PLUS III on a PC? I am
>looking for the procedure to do this if anyone has done this. Thank
>you.

>Lance Pawlikowski

'Spencer APL2' is in fact APL.68000 Level II owned and written by MicroAPL
Ltd. The Spencer Organisation is the US distributor for the product.

APL.68000 Level II supports the )OUT and )IN systems commands as does
APL*PLUS III and IBM's APL2. This is the easiest way to move workspaces -
although you should, of course, avoid system functions that do not exist in
the target APL.

David Eastwood

Sun, 07 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. apl*plus to IBM/apl2 conversion problem

2. APL*PLUS III vs Dyalog APL/W

3. VS APL and APL*PLUS III

4. Obtaining available disk space (APL*PLUS III)

5. APL*Plus III for Windows

6. APL*PLUS III (GUI question)

7. Alternative for []EDIT in APL*PLUS III

8. APL*PLUS III presentations

9. APL*PLUS III DDE Conversations

10. WIN98 and APL*PLUS III Installation

11. APL*PLUS III installation problem