Subject:      apl-l UseNet batch for Fri Jun 11 23:59:14 ADT 1993

X-Ceo_Options:  The above mePrevious comments:

See document for message.

CEO document contents:
Contents of apl-l UseNet batch for Fri Jun 11 23:59:14 ADT 1993:

  1. Subject: What's it all about?

  2. Subject: Who is out there?

===> Start of article 1

Newsgroups: comp.lang.apl

Subject: What's it all about?

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1993 20:23:15 CST

Hi,

I just got myself set up communication-wise and found the APL- newsgroup in the
list. How many people are still doing APL out there? Anyone into
Dyalog/Windows?

Nelson

===> Start of article 2

Newsgroups: comp.lang.apl

Subject: Who is out there?

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1993 20:23:17 CST

Hi

I just connected today and found this address in my list. Who is still doing
APL and is anyone into Dyalog/Windows?

Nelson

===> End of articles for Fri Jun 11 23:59:14 ADT 1993

Wed, 29 Nov 1995 07:02:14 GMT
 no subject given
MAILER-DAEMON

   ----- Mail rejected by MailI. -----

(CEO_POA) Remote Name Server unavailable.Subject: Returned mail:    ----- Mail

   ----- Mail rejected by MailI. -----

X-Ceo_Options:  The above mePrevious comments:

See document for message.

CEO document contents:
Contents of apl-l UseNet batch for Fri Jun 11 23:59:14 ADT 1993:

  1. Subject: What's it all about?

  2. Subject: Who is out there?

===> Start of article 1

Newsgroups: comp.lang.apl

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1993 20:23:17 CST

Hi

I just connected today and found this address in my list. Who is still doing
APL and is anyone into Dyalog/Windows?

Nelson

===> End of articles for Fri Jun 11 23:59:14 ADT 1993

Wed, 29 Nov 1995 07:22:48 GMT
 no subject given
MAILER-DAEMON

   ----- Mail rejected by MailI. -----

Subject:      apl-l UseNet batch for Wed Jun 16 23:59:16 ADT 1993

X-Ceo_Options:  The above mePrevious comments:

See document for message.

CEO document contents:
Contents of apl-l UseNet batch for Wed Jun 16 23:59:16 ADT 1993:

  1. Subject: ISI's newest APL has works workspace exchange utilities

  2. Subject: Re: weighted linear regression

  3. Subject: Transliteration

  4. Subject: << APL 1993 PRELIMINARY PROGRAM >>

  5. Subject: Re: weighted linear regression

  6. Subject: Re: TryAPL2

  7. Subject: APL display postscript font for NeXT

===> Start of article 1

Newsgroups: comp.lang.apl

Subject: ISI's newest APL has works workspace exchange utilities Message-ID:

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1993 06:33:36 GMT

I find it amusing that Iverson Software did not mention in their newsletter
that their newest APL has utilities for tranlating ISI APL to APL2 and
Manuguistics APL, and
for translating APL2 and Manugistics APL to ISI APL. Wow.

Emmett

===> Start of article 2

Newsgroups: comp.lang.apl

Subject: Re: weighted linear regression

University of Bergen, Norway

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 93 06:38:59 GMT

: then you are definitely losing precision needlessly. You should : probably
read the LINPACK manual, which has a good discussion on : solving least squares
problems. For the above, in most APL's,

Where can I get hold of the LINPACK manual?
I have also read a discussion of LAPACK, in this group, which I assume is
either a newer or older version of LINPACK. Can someone tell me where to get
hold of it, or at least of a detailed description of it?

Thanks for any help.
--

Institute of Marine Research, Section for Pelagic Fish P.O. Box 1870 - Nordnes
5024 BERGEN, NORWAY

===> Start of article 3

Newsgroups: comp.lang.apl

Subject: Transliteration

University of Bergen, Norway
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 93 07:01:25 GMT

In an earlier posting, there was reference to the transliteration scheme from
J. Mithloener being available from watserv1.
I tried to ftp to watserv1, but can not find the reference to it. Can someone
po int me a more precise path to it?
Greetings,
Pedro
--

Institute of Marine Research, Section for Pelagic Fish P.O. Box 1870 - Nordnes
5024 BERGEN, NORWAY

===> Start of article 4

Newsgroups: comp.lang.apl

Subject:  << APL 1993 PRELIMINARY PROGRAM >>

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1993 07:43:32 GMT

 A P L  ' 9 3

 T  O  R  O  N  T  O

 August 15-19, 1993

 For more information or questions regarding registration and fees, email

 containing the text 'send status'

 Abstracts for Accepted Papers and Presentations

 ===J===

 1. JVOX (It's Easy to Program in J, Just Talk to Your Computer!) David G.
    Smith and Joey Tuttle

 2. Confessions of Two APL Educators Learning J
    Murray Eisenberg and Howard Peele

 3. APROCL : A Hybrid Language (J embedded into Scheme)
    Denise Holmes and John Howland

 4. From Trees to Boxes
    David Steinbrook and Eugene McDonnell

 5. Rolling Dice : Some Notes on J and Teaching Probability Keith Smillie

 6. Identification of Parallelism in Neural Networks by Simulations in the
    language J
    Alexei N. Skurihin, Alvin Surkan

 7. The Role of APL and J in High Performance Computing
    Robert Bernecky

 ==APL==

 1. APL Helps Deaf Person to Hear Again
    P. Deslauriers

 2. Talking with APL via DDE: Teaching an Old Dog New Tricks Steven Halasz and
    Andre Kondrashev

 3. A Parallel Topological Feature Mape in APL
    J. Frey, D. Scheppelman, G. Glombitza

 4. A Modern APL Windows and DOS USER Interface
    Richard Eller

 5. Co-operative Programming with Windows DDE
    Adrian Smith

 6. Distributed Computing in the Workstation Environment
    Johann Mitl\Hohner

 7. Building the APL Atlas of Natural Shapes
    Gerrard A. Langlet

 8. Transfinite Nesting in Array-Theoretic Figures, Changes, Rigs, and Arms
    Part I
    Trenchard More, Jr.

 9  Understanding ANOVA the APL Way
    Norman Thomson

 10 Transfinite Nesting in Array-Theoretic Figures, Changes, Rigs, and Arms
    Part I
    Trenchard More, Jr.

 11 Efficient Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Linear Models with APL Frank
    Ripley

 12 Extending the Two-Partner shared Variable Protocol to N Partners Thomas
    Kolarik

 13 Approaching Classical Algorithms in APL2
    F. Grimm and Manspeter Bieri

 14 Using Defined Operators and Functions Arrays to Solve Non-linear Equations
    in APL2
    Stephan Monsour

 15 The Testing of an APL Compiler
    Wai-Mee Ching and Alex Katz

 16 Undocumented Features of APL
    Timo Laurmaa

 17 Array Morphology
    Robert Bernecky

 18 SCARFS: An Efficient Polynomial Zero Finder System in APL Tien Chi Chen

 19 Extending APL2 to Include Program Control Structures
    David Selby

 20 Solving Polynomials in Two or Three Variables
    R.G. Selfridge

 21 Structuring Functions with Operators
    David Eastwood

 22 Pointwise Calculus
    Walter Spunde

 23 Structured APL : A Proposal for Block Structured Control Flow in APL Robert
    G. Willhoft

 24 Learning Modern Algebra
    Pavel Luksha

 25 Extending the APL Character Set
    James Brown, Brent Hawks, and Ray Trimble

 26 Adaptive Learning Networks in APL2
    Alexander O. Skomorokhov

 27 Bayesian Methods in APL
    Alan Sykes, A. Mayer, and T. Stroud

 28 ARDA: Expert System for Reliability Data Analysis
    J. Ansell and J. Al-Doori

 29 Discriminant Analysis
    Eero Korpelainen

 30 Introduction to Log-Linear Analysis and Implementing Newton-Raphson
    Algorithms in APL2

 31 Roles of APL in Military Satellite Surveillance
    Jack Rudd

 32 APL Programming without Tears
    P. Naeve, B. Strohmeier, and P. Wolf

 33 The Workspace Manager : A Change Control System for APL Rexford Swain and
    Daniel Jonusz

===> Start of article 5

Newsgroups: comp.lang.apl
Date: 16 Jun 1993 18:02:56 GMT

Quote:
Ba rros) writes:

|> Where can I get hold of the LINPACK manual?

J. Dongarra et al, LINPACK Users' Guide, SIAM, 1979, ISBN 0-89871-172-X.

|> I have also read a discussion of LAPACK, in this group, which I assume is |>
either a newer or older version of LINPACK. Can someone tell me where to get |>
hold of it, or at least of a detailed description of it?

The sequence was EISPACK (1976, eigenvalues...), LINPACK (1979, linear
equations...), LAPACK (1992, both...). These are high quality freely available
numerical analysis code in fortran. The code is available from lots of places,
for example netlib. See

E. Anderson et al, LAPACK Users' Guide, SIAM, 1992, ISBN 0-89871-294-7.

--
Sam Sirlin

===> Start of article 6

Newsgroups: comp.lang.apl

University

20:06:25 GMT

writes:
] In a recent article published in this group I read about a freeware ] version
of APL called TryAPL2. I'd like more details about this system - ] where can I
get it from?

TryAPL2 is also available on various ftp servers.  A quick Archie scan reveals:
        watserv1.waterloo.edu  - in

read more »

Mon, 04 Dec 1995 07:21:06 GMT

1. no subject given