J , Windows and bitmap graphics
Author Message
 J , Windows and bitmap graphics

I am learning J under windows and I am loving it.  I have been able to
have J dynamically grab 45M of memory (mostly virtual) and still been
able to switch to other tasks.  Anyway, so far I have been handling images
(Windows .BMP's) by reading and writing files - no problem, that works
like a charm.  It might be nice to directly "do graphics" in a J created
window - I don't mean create a part of GUI (button bars etc).  I want
to be able to plot lines, polygons, and pixels and to control 256 color
palettes.  I seem to remember suggestions that most, if not all, of this
is possible and there were examples somewhere.  I haven't found them -
any help?  Thanks,  Cliff

Clifford A. Reiter
Mathematics Department, Lafayette College
Easton, PA 18042 USA,   215-250-5277

--
Clifford A. Reiter
Mathematics Department, Lafayette College
Easton, PA 18042 USA,   215-250-5277

Sat, 09 Sep 1995 23:43:08 GMT
 J , Windows and bitmap graphics

Quote:
>I want
>to be able to plot lines, polygons, and pixels and to control 256 color
>palettes.  I seem to remember suggestions that most, if not all, of this
>is possible and there were examples somewhere.  I haven't found them -
>any help?  Thanks,  Cliff

 Since I've been running J on a UNIX box I don't have much experience with
 things like this.  But ...

 One method to implement _plotting_ is to use DDE to communicate
 with EXCELL.  There is an article in the October 1992 issue of VECTOR
 by Adrian Smith called "DDE from APL" which addresses this approach in
 various dialects, but not J.   My guess is that the implementation in J
 might be similar to the implementation described for Sharp's APL.
 (Perhaps some more knowledgeable netters can comment.  For what I know
 this might not even be true.)

 Yet another approach might be to write your own session mangager for
 J in Visual Basic.  (I've met someone who has done this.) I recently
 inquired about the specifics for creating a checker board for a
 chess game.  (The logic of the implementation is actually
 beyond me but I figured it would be fun and not too difficult to
 translate the publically available common lisp into J to do the job.)
 And was told the implementation of the checker board will be _trival_
 with the capabilities of the May release of Iverson Software's APL
 and J.  Very exciting!!!

 Also, you might iron out some of the specifics via FAX with Erik
 Iverson at Iverson Software.   (And encourage him to get an internet
 link. -:) )

 Emmett

Sun, 10 Sep 1995 09:13:35 GMT

1. Converting Windows Bitmap to X bitmap format so that Tk can display it

2. JS-EAI with *JS*-callback

3. js.exception 3279.js

4. windows 3.0 bitmap reader in ST/V Windows

5. Script error: c:\windows\repair\rollback.js ??

6. Fivewin Buttons and Bitmap Graphics

7. Question on colour bitmap graphics.

8. Moving bitmap graphics

9. Bitmap for icon != bitmap for button?

10. coloured bitmap with the option -bitmap ?

11. Icon bitmap on MS windows ...

12. Windows Bitmap