ASCII support in APL (was Programming
Author Message
 ASCII support in APL (was Programming

        > Note that I think the J solution was a step in the WRONG direction-It

Quote:
> did NOT improve readability by using meaningful words or abbrevs, it simply
> translated the APL symbols into 1 and 2 character ascii equivalents.

You can assign - and there are a number of examples- keywords to the
one or two letter ASCII symbols used in J.

It would have been a mistake to try to use english words instead of the
ASCII symbols.

Quote:
> IMO, the ideal keyword system would permit any primative to be replaced by
> a keyword, marked in some way to distinguish it from a user defined fn or
> variable.

That is exactly what you can do in J !!!

plus =. +

can from now on be used as

   a plus b
or
   1 plus 2 3 4 5 6 7
if that is what you prefer.

It could also be assigned

   Leggja_saman =. +

and now
   a Leggja_saman b
or
   1 Leggja_saman 2 3 4 5 6 7
would do the same as plus did above.

Create combinations is not a problem either
   Sum =. +/

and now

   a=. 1 2 3 4 5

   Sum a
15

Quote:
> There would be a built in mechanism to translate APL characters
> into keywords and back-this would operate only on fn code, not on quoted
> text..  A running fn could contain an arbitrary mix of keywords and
> symbols, and there would be no functional difference between the keyword
> and the symbol in code.

This is what J does for you.

Type
plus and it displays +
Type Sum and it displays +/ and so on

Quote:
> Please note, I have not been able to convince any APL implementor that
> this is worth the time and effort, so I don"t expect to see it anytime soon.

You already have convinced the implementors and they did listen and they
created J just fior you. Look at www.jsoftware.com and you will see the light.

/Gosi

Sat, 22 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ASCII support in APL (was Programming

Quote:

>You already have convinced the implementors and they did listen and they
>created J just fior you. Look at www.jsoftware.com and you will see the
>light.

>/Gosi

Wrong.  I want there to be exactly one, built in keyword for each
primative. IU don't want to have to worry when I see #pick whether it is
the stanbdard version, or how it might be different in the code fragment
which I am viewing. The J facility of assigning primative or conjunctions
of them to names by the programmer may have its place (no, it does have a
place, and a useful one), but it is not what I am refering to.  And the 1-2
character ascii symbols used by J for representing primatives are in my
opnion a mistake -- thy are HARDER to read and interprete (although not to
send over the internet, granted) than the original APL symbols were.

              -David E. Siegel
               Software Developer, Financial Reporting Software (FRS)

Sat, 22 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ASCII support in APL (was Programming

Quote:
> You can assign - and there are a number of examples- keywords to the
> one or two letter ASCII symbols used in J.

... which makes it writeable, not necessarily readable

Quote:
> created J just fior you. Look at www.jsoftware.com and you will see the
light.

.. one more St Paul?

Sun, 23 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. ASCII support in APL (was Programming language vote - results)

2. ASCII support in APL

3. ASCII APL (Submission to APL Quote-Quad) *LONG*

4. APL?! (ASCII rendition of ISO APL)

5. Need converter program to translate ascii to ebcdic in mixes ascii/binary file

6. Computer Systems Support Analyst III - Dallas, TX 7/2/98 10:43:35 AM

7. APL in ASCII

8. APL in ASCII (was: Combinations with Banglist)

9. APL to ASCII

10. ascii version of apl

11. APL to ASCII to GIF file question

12. APL to ASCII