ASCII support in APL
Author Message
 ASCII support in APL

        > Even though the problems that you mention are real, they are minor relative

Quote:
> to the advantages of APL. In fact,  I strongly and firmly  believe that the
> APL special symbols constitute a significant advantage.

I do not think that anyone familiar with APL would disagree with you
that when you have a well working system that it is an advantage.

Quote:
> So, I do not mind
> if there are some problems with the special symbols, despite the fact that
> the rest of the world is ASCII, because I can do my work quite efficiently
> with APL

That is a very selfish attitude because even if you have a working system
the problem the rest of the world is having is making APL close to useless.

Quote:
> (and, as far as I am concerned, programming in APL is great
> experience).

You will not get anyone who has successfully used APL to disagree on that point.

Quote:
> Problems 1 and 2 can be dealt with quite adequately by using
> the type of software developed by J. Weigang. Ok, the process may be
> tedious, but it works fine. Regarding problem 2. Is it essential to use
> "our favorite text editor" while the existing APL versions do have good
> editors?

Yes it is absolutely necessary if you are ever going to get some spread of APL

Quote:
> It might be desirable, but not absolutely fundamental.

That is where you are soooo wrong.

It IS absolutely fundamental.

If you can not get APL out to the masses. Then there will not be very
much money coming into the pockets of those creating APLs or utilities
and then as a result of this lack of money you will not have very many
people working on it and consequently not very much development
and as a result you get a very tiny group of users.

On the other hand you get a system like J where you have all the power
of APL. You have no problems with editors. You have no problems with
installing the product in any of the environments it is running in. And you
see a very healthy growth in the number of users. And the most important
factor is the absence of APL characters.
/Gosi

Mon, 24 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. ASCII support in APL (was Programming language vote - results)

2. ASCII support in APL (was Programming

3. ASCII APL (Submission to APL Quote-Quad) *LONG*

4. APL?! (ASCII rendition of ISO APL)

5. APL in ASCII

6. APL in ASCII (was: Combinations with Banglist)

7. APL to ASCII

8. ascii version of apl

9. APL to ASCII to GIF file question

10. APL to ASCII

11. import ascii to apl ws

12. APL*PLUS II source for ASCII transliteration (transliterated)