Can I design a bivalent adverb without using : ?
Author Message
 Can I design a bivalent adverb without using : ?

I need a construction using verbs u and v and arguments x and y
that produces

u v y    in the monadic case but

x u v y  in the dyadic case.

The best I have come up with is

but I would like one without the : .

If you care to know why I want this:

I have a data structure with many levels of boxing, and
I am designing adverbs and conjunctions to allow me to apply verbs
to selected parts of the structure.  It would be nice if these
tools worked with monadic and dyadic verb arguments, so I
find myself writing

adverb =. ]: (monadic case : dyadic case)

for each adverb.  Now, when I actually apply a verb, it looks something
like

(x) verb forselecteditems foreachcut foreachtrack applyusingselect y

(4 adverbs).  Since each adverb has 2 cases, this ends up expanding
to 16 combinations of valence, of which only 1 is used.  Obviously
I won't be able to go too many levels into my structures this way;
moreover, it is impossible to make sense of the boxed display of the
verb+adverb because of the data expansion.

Henry Rich

Mon, 19 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Bivalent conjunction without : - solution

2. Anybody got an easy way to design adverbs?

4. Using keyboard and disk without using interrupts

5. Finding Average without using Recusrion only using Prog

6. Using proxy without using doesNotUnderstand?

7. (fwd) Re: Using proxy without using doesNotUnderstand?

8. COURSES: High Level Design Using Verilog, Advanced Techniques Using Verilog, Portland, OR

9. COURSES: High Level Design Using Verilog, Advanced Techniques Using Verilog, Portland, OR

10. COURSES: High Level Design Using Verilog, Advanced Techniques Using Verilog, Portland, OR

11. COURSES: High Level Design Using Verilog, Advanced Techniques Using Verilog, Portland, OR

12. COURSES: High Level Design Using Verilog, Advanced Techniques Using Verilog, Portland, OR