multiple j sessions on Unix
Author Message
 multiple j sessions on Unix

I have been getting wrong computations in some j v6.2 runs on
a silicon graphics Unix system. Although I have not been able
to fully diagnose the problem, let me describe my suspicions,
hoping that others have some insight into this.

I have been running multiple j sessions in the background
using the following sequence of events in csh:

     a. Create a file named 'infile' that is a deterministic
     simulation written in j.
     b. Create the file profile.js containing 2 lines
          0!:2 <'infile'
          0!:55 ''
     1. nohup j > & outA &
     2. change parameters in 'infile'
     1. nohup j > & outB &
     2. change parameters in 'infile'
     1. nohup j > & outC &
     2. change parameters in 'infile'
     1. nohup j > & outD &
     2. change parameters in 'infile'
     c. logout

     Each simulation can take 2+ hours to run. Notice that
each nohup has a different output file but the profile.js does
not change its input file's name; only the innards of the
input file change. This latter fact *seems* to make the wrong
computations occur. I say "*seems* to" since I can find no
other explanation.

--

College of Business Administration                         404-651-4070
Georgia State University                  interests: approx. reasoning,

Wed, 27 Dec 1995 03:26:32 GMT
 multiple j sessions on Unix

Thank you to those who answered my posting so promptly. The best
suggestion was the following. It merely requires that I build several
separate infiles and issue the following sequence of commands. I somehow
thought that j would only use profile.js and not < . But it does.

      1. nohup j <infile1 > & outA &
      1. nohup j <infile2 > & outB &
      1. nohup j <infile3 > & outC &
      1. nohup j <infile4 > & outD &
      c. logout

--

College of Business Administration                         404-651-4070
Georgia State University                  interests: approx. reasoning,
Atlanta, Georgia USA 30303-3083     (B=)       decision support systems

Wed, 27 Dec 1995 19:45:17 GMT

1. Multiple J Sessions

2. Multiple VISA sessions & diagram clutter

3. php session variables on multiple pages

4. Opening multiple visa sessions

5. multiple interpreter sessions

6. Expect - scripting multiple sessions

7. controlling multiple expect sessions from the outside

8. controlling multiple expect sessions simultaneously

9. multiple sessions and expect

10. multiple Tcl/Tk sessions under WinNT

11. spawning multiple telnet sessions from threads

12. Help with multiple telnet sessions under Expect