Adobe Acrobat PDF with APL characters
Author Message
 Adobe Acrobat PDF with APL characters

I freqently insert APL characters into PowerPoint charts and they look fine
to me, as long as I select the APL font for the appropriate characters.  I
next use the Adobe PDF writer to create a PDF file for my students to
download but they complain that the APL characters are messed up, but when I
look at the same PDF file on my computer (or any computer that APL is
installed on), they look fine.  I thought that creating a PDF file provided
a universal file that anyone could view - even if they don't have the APL
character set on their own computer - but apparently this is not the case.

Any suggestions or work-arounds?  Thanks, Leonard

Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:21:45 GMT
 Adobe Acrobat PDF with APL characters

Quote:

>I freqently insert APL characters into PowerPoint charts and they look fine
>to me, as long as I select the APL font for the appropriate characters.  I
>next use the Adobe PDF writer to create a PDF file for my students to
>download but they complain that the APL characters are messed up, but when I
>look at the same PDF file on my computer (or any computer that APL is
>installed on), they look fine.  I thought that creating a PDF file provided
>a universal file that anyone could view - even if they don't have the APL
>character set on their own computer - but apparently this is not the case.

>Any suggestions or work-arounds?  Thanks, Leonard

From the Adobe Acrobat Help. It seems you have to change your printer setting
to embed specific fonts. All my APL fonts appear in the "Can't Embed" list.

[Start]
Embedding fonts in PDF files

PDFWriter can embed Roman Type 1, TrueType, and base fonts (Windows only)
in a PDF file. This ensures that the original font is used for display and
printing on computers that do not have the font installed. Adobe Type Manager
(ATM) must be installed and loaded as a control panel for PDFWriter to be able
to embed Type 1 fonts. PDFWriter cannot embed Asian fonts.

If you do not embed fonts in a PDF file and a user opens the file on a system
that does not have the files fonts, Acrobat temporarily substitutes fonts.
For Roman text, Acrobat uses serif and sans serif Multiple Master fonts to
simulate the original font. For Asian text, Acrobat uses fonts from the
installed Asian Language Kit or from similar fonts on the users system. (See
About font embedding and substitution for an example.) If you embed a font and
the user has that font on their system, they can edit the text in the PDF
file. An embedded font typically adds about 30K to 40K to a PDF file. If it is
not important that readers see the file in its original fonts, do not embed
fonts. Let Acrobat use substitute fonts when necessary. This will produce the
smallest file possible.

To help you decide which fonts to embed in a PDF file, you can get a
preview of how the substituted fonts will look in the file. See Previewing
substituted fonts.
To modify which fonts are embedded in a PDF file:
1 Do one of the following:
In a Windows application, choose File > Print (Print Setup in some
applica-tions), select Acrobat PDFWriter from the Printer Name menu, and click
Properties (Setup in some applications). This will change the settings for the
open file and for other files you convert to PDF during the current session
with this application.

Note: Some TrueType fonts cannot be embedded. You will not be able to
remove these fonts from the Never Embed list.
Underlined font names indicate symbol fonts, such as ITC Zapf ? Dingbats.
Acrobat cannot substitute these, which is why (except for any symbol base
font) they are on the Always Embed list by default.

In Windows, the font lists show additional restrictions by color:
Black font names indicate normal fonts with no restrictions, except as
indicated by any underlining.
Blue font names indicate base fonts. These fonts are in the Never Embed list
by default.
Red font names indicate TrueType fonts that cannot be embedded. These
fonts will appear only in the Never Embed list.
Green font names are for Chinese, Japanese, and Korean fonts.
5 To restore the original font settings, click Default.
[End]

--
Ray Powell
Victoria, BC

Sat, 12 Jul 2003 00:38:35 GMT
 Adobe Acrobat PDF with APL characters
Thanks for the detailed response, but unfortunately all of my APL fonts show
up as "Red font names" indicating they cannot be embedded.  Is there
anything else to try?

Thanks.

Quote:

> [...]

> Note: Some TrueType fonts cannot be embedded. You will not be able to
> remove these fonts from the Never Embed list.
> Underlined font names indicate symbol fonts, such as ITC Zapf ? Dingbats.
> Acrobat cannot substitute these, which is why (except for any symbol base
> font) they are on the Always Embed list by default.

> In Windows, the font lists show additional restrictions by color:
> Black font names indicate normal fonts with no restrictions, except as
> indicated by any underlining.
> Blue font names indicate base fonts. These fonts are in the Never Embed
list
> by default.
> Red font names indicate TrueType fonts that cannot be embedded. These
> fonts will appear only in the Never Embed list.
> Green font names are for Chinese, Japanese, and Korean fonts.
> 5 To restore the original font settings, click Default.

Sat, 12 Jul 2003 03:51:51 GMT
 Adobe Acrobat PDF with APL characters
Leonard,

I believe if you use an imbeddable font, it can be included in the PDF
file.  If not, your users have to have the font installed.

Regards,
David Liebtag
IBM APL Products and Services

Sat, 12 Jul 2003 09:48:17 GMT
 Adobe Acrobat PDF with APL characters
We recently upgraded the fonts included with APL2 for Windows so they can
be imbedded.  If you have the product, and install the latest CSD, you
should be able to imbed them.

Regards,
David Liebtag
IBM APL Products and Services

Sat, 12 Jul 2003 09:49:33 GMT
 Adobe Acrobat PDF with APL characters
a. Use a postscript Type-1 APL font, such as that found on my web site
at www.snakeisland.com.
b. Point Adobe Distiller at this same font, then generate your PDF.
This will produce high-quality, scalable APL characters that are
readable
anywhere.
For examples, see the papers on my web site, which were produced this
way. Compare the .PS and .PDF versions of APL characters to those
produced by a non-Type-1 font and you'll see why Type-1 is good stuff.

Bob

Quote:

> I freqently insert APL characters into PowerPoint charts and they look fine
> to me, as long as I select the APL font for the appropriate characters.  I
> next use the Adobe PDF writer to create a PDF file for my students to
> download but they complain that the APL characters are messed up, but when I
> look at the same PDF file on my computer (or any computer that APL is
> installed on), they look fine.  I thought that creating a PDF file provided
> a universal file that anyone could view - even if they don't have the APL
> character set on their own computer - but apparently this is not the case.

> Any suggestions or work-arounds?  Thanks, Leonard

--
Robert Bernecky                  Snake Island Research Inc.

+1 416 203 0854                   Toronto, Ontario M5J 2B9 Canada
http://www.snakeisland.com

Thu, 17 Jul 2003 01:07:21 GMT

1. Adobe Acrobat PDF

2. Acrobat 3.0 PDF Version of Tcl/Tk 8.0 Quick Reference - refbase.pdf (1/1)

3. Acrobat 3.0 PDF Version of Tcl/Tk 8.0 Quick Reference - refbase.pdf (0/1)

4. US-MD CA-Unicenter MSM SMS PVCS Intersolv Adobe Acrobat Smalltalk

5. US-MD CA-Unicenter MSM SMS PVCS Intersolv Adobe Acrobat Smalltalk

6. US-MD CA-Unicenter MSM SMS PVCS Intersolv Adobe Acrobat Smalltalk

7. US-MD CA-Unicenter MSM SMS PVCS Intersolv Adobe Acrobat Smalltalk

8. US-MD CA-Unicenter MSM SMS PVCS Intersolv Adobe Acrobat Smalltalk

9. US-MD CA-Unicenter MSM SMS PVCS Intersolv Adobe Acrobat Smalltalk

10. Batch Printing with Adobe Acrobat

11. printing Adobe Acrobat files from a Clarion App

12. Adobe acrobat and clipper