Iverson's books
Author Message
 Iverson's books

Hello there!
Is it possible that _no one_ in this Newsgroup has read Iversons books 'Calculus
and 'Algebra - An algorithmic approach'?
I've asked for info on whether the 'Functional language' mentioned in the
short description of the books from Iverson Software is APL, J, or something
else, but got no answer at all.
Can someone be so kind as to give a short answer?
Thanks in advance,
Pedro
--

Institute of Marine Research, Section for Pelagic Fish
P.O. Box 1870 - Nordnes

Tue, 23 Jan 1996 18:42:20 GMT
 Iverson's books
My copy of the book Calculus just arrived yesterday.  It uses J for
all the algorithms.  I don't think APL really qualifies as a
functional language (although it's close).

Boy, are these books cryptic (Calculus, Programming in J, and the
Dictionary).  Reading them while sitting in front of a computer
running J seems to be the way to understand what's going on.  They
aren't the kind of books that you can sit down with during lunch.

--

Wed, 24 Jan 1996 00:53:14 GMT
 Iverson's books

Quote:

>> Boy, are these books cryptic (Calculus, Programming in J, and the
> Dictionary).  Reading them while sitting in front of a computer
> running J seems to be the way to understand what's going on.  They
> aren't the kind of books that you can sit down with during lunch.

> --

if you did, you'd find out that an hour later, you'd be hungry for more
(books on J, that it).

sorry. i couldn't let that one that pass by [ and i do mean it, actually.
we need more J books]

-richard-
--
"if you're not programming functionally, then you're programming
dysfunctionally"

Thu, 25 Jan 1996 20:35:43 GMT

1. Iverson's new book

2. WTB: Iverson's original book on APL

3. Iverson's Table 6

4. Iverson's "Calculus"

5. Iverson Award '98

6. stupid me - subject is 'Book Idea'

7. Book announcement - ``Eiffel: The Language''

8. O'Reilly O'Caml book

9. Book for learning 'Assembler'..