OO and Flexibility
Author Message
 OO and Flexibility

Quote:

: (Chuck Coleman) writes:

: >
: >...  The problem with OO in my experience is its rigidity. ...
: Have you ever used Smalltalk?  Its relatively easy to maintain
: and enhance Smalltalk code (easier then APL, IMO).  However,
: C++ has many of the characteristics you describe.

My experience been with C++ and Paradox for Windows.  P4W is especially
rigid (at least in v.1.0).  I once added a field to a table and had no
way to add that field to a report, so I had to create a new report from
scratch.  My wife has been having similar problems with MS Access, but
those may just be due to bugs.  My C++ experience is another, somewhat
irrelevent story.

: >...  Visual Basic is the most prominent example.  Perhaps what
: >we really need is Visual APL.

: APL III for Windows has some of the characteristics of a Visual
: APL.  For example, it allows interactive design of forms and the
: use of VBX controls.  These features are implemented in an object
: oriented way.  However, like Visual Basic, it does not allow you
: to define your own object classes.

APL III does interest me.  I hear it still has some bugs.  However, I
plan to quit programming as an occupation sometime next year, so my
interest in these things will not last too much longer.  A great loss
for the APL community. ;-)

Chuck Coleman                   "Sorry, no concluding witticism"

Tue, 11 Mar 1997 23:10:20 GMT

1. OO and Flexibility

2. Forth flexibility

3. Namespaces, Flexibility & Dylan

4. IBM Compiler and Library for REXX on zSeries Release 4 increase efficiency and flexibility

5. try/except/else flexibility...

6. SENIOR OO SOFTWARE DEVELOPER WITH OO SAVVY - TORONTO

7. OO SOFTWARE DEVELOPER WITH OO SAVVY - TORONTO

8. OO SOFTWARE DEVELOPER WITH OO SAVVY - TORONTO

9. OO SOFTWARE DEVELOPER WITH OO SAVVY - TORONTO

10. Use of O.O. metrics to estimate the effert and cost of O.O. projects

11. Real OO (was Choice of OO primitives in Ada95)

12. Real OO (was Re: Choice of OO primitives in Ada95)