J: TRAINS 'Why do I get ' ([.;].)' an error?' 
Author Message
 J: TRAINS 'Why do I get ' ([.;].)' an error?'

According to the Dictionary the expression (or train)
MyCon=. [. ; ].
will define a conjuction.
Does anyone know why I get a syntax error when I try
 2 3 4 54 MyCon 93 4 5 6

David Alis



Wed, 14 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 J: TRAINS 'Why do I get ' ([.;].)' an error?'


David Alis writes on Saturday, April 27:

Quote:
> According to the Dictionary the expression (or train)
> MyCon=. [. ; ].
> will define a conjuction.
> Does anyone know why I get a syntax error when I try
>  2 3 4 54 MyCon 93 4 5 6

The system is in error; the expression should have produced the result
2 3 4 54;93 4 5 6.  Thanks for finding and reporting this bug.


Thu, 15 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 J: TRAINS 'Why do I get ' ([.;].)' an error?'



Quote:

>David Alis writes on Saturday, April 27:

>> According to the Dictionary the expression (or train)
>> MyCon=. [. ; ].
>> will define a conjuction.
>> Does anyone know why I get a syntax error when I try
>>  2 3 4 54 MyCon 93 4 5 6

>The system is in error; the expression should have produced the result
>2 3 4 54;93 4 5 6.  Thanks for finding and reporting this bug.

But N0 C1 N2   produces    verb      x (N0 C1 N2) y

so shouldn't the result be a verb?  You would have
2 3 4 54;93 4 5 6 but it is syntactically a verb.  What
would x and y into this verb mean?

Henry Rich



Fri, 16 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 J: TRAINS 'Why do I get ' ([.;].)' an error?'



Henry Rich writes on Monday, April 29:

Quote:
> But N0 C1 N2   produces    verb      x (N0 C1 N2) y

> so shouldn't the result be a verb?  You would have
> 2 3 4 54;93 4 5 6 but it is syntactically a verb.  What
> would x and y into this verb mean?

A conjunction normally produces a verb result, but it may
produce anything whatsover.  (It produces a noun in this case.)  
Other examples of such conjunctions are:

  C1=: 2 : 'x. ; y.'
  2 3 4 54 C1 93 4 5 6

  C2=: 2 : '3.14159'
  + C2 *

  C3=: 2 : '/'
  + C3 *


  + C4 *

And : itself is a conjunction that can produce a noun, verb, adverb,
or conjunction result.



Sat, 17 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 J: TRAINS 'Why do I get ' ([.;].)' an error?'



Quote:

>A conjunction normally produces a verb result, but it may
>produce anything whatsover.  (It produces a noun in this case.)  
>Other examples of such conjunctions are:

Oh dear, I thought I understood the parse table but now I see
I was mistaken.  Tell me if this is right:

When the interpreter sees

N0 C1 N2

it uses the production

x (N0 C1 N2) y

as shown in the table, but the part of speech of the result is
NOT always 'verb', as shown in the table, but depends on the
items being interpreted.  In other words, the 'verb' etc. column
in the parse table is not always right - it is right only
on the assumption that all adverbs and conjunctions return verbs,

Henry Rich



Sat, 17 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 5 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. The Smalltalk Store: Why we've been slow, and why we're getting better

2. errors when doing 'make test'

3. HttpDist - getting errors, What I'm doing wrong

4. what is error -1 , and why can't I run any daq vi's

5. stream('file','c','seek ='x) problem

6. Wanted: Hints'n'Tips'n'Bits'n'Bobs

7. There is an 'U'|'X'|'W'|'Z'|'-' in an arithmetic operand

8. globalW'ocx' runtime error'339

9. Have you ever done 'namespace delete ::'?

10. Teacher training on computers 'poor'

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software