Resurrecting an old APL WS
Author Message
 Resurrecting an old APL WS

I have an old APL workspace that I find that I need to resurrect.
It calculates bigram & trigram word probabilities in text.
The workspace was made on APL*PLUS/PC  VERS 10.1  in 1992.
I can no longer find the disks for this version of APL.

The workspace is entitled "WORD.AWS".
I have placed a copy of the workspace file on the web at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Perhaps one of the newsgroup participants could generate a printout
or an ASCII translation of the workspace functions and variables
with comments.
Is there anyone out there with a version of APL that can read this
workspace?

Or, can I get an old version of APL to run the WS on my Windows ME
system?

Skip Cave

Sat, 06 Mar 2004 13:52:52 GMT
 Resurrecting an old APL WS
Quote:

>I have an old APL workspace that I find that I need to resurrect.
>It calculates bigram & trigram word probabilities in text.
>The workspace was made on APL*PLUS/PC  VERS 10.1  in 1992.
>I can no longer find the disks for this version of APL.

>The workspace is entitled "WORD.AWS".
>I have placed a copy of the workspace file on the web at:
>http://home1.gte.net/res057qw/apl_j/word.aws

>Perhaps one of the newsgroup participants could generate a printout
>or an ASCII translation of the workspace functions and variables
>with comments.
>Is there anyone out there with a version of APL that can read this
>workspace?

>Or, can I get an old version of APL to run the WS on my Windows ME
>system?

I believe APL SE (freeware available via Waterloo web site below) is
basically Version 10.

  ftp://watserv1.uwaterloo.ca/languages/apl/apl-plus/aplse.html

Doug White

Sun, 07 Mar 2004 08:35:46 GMT
 Resurrecting an old APL WS
To all of the newsgroup members that responded to my post:

I found a copy of APLSE at
ftp://watserv1.uwaterloo.ca/languages/apl/apl-plus/aplse.html
thanks to Doug White. I downloaded the APLSE executable, and it opened my old
workspace immediately.

However, nothing I did would get the APL character set right (so what's new?). I
was able to cut the APL function out and paste it in a text file. I am currenly
porting the algorithm to J (Which mostly means replacing the APL comment lamps
with NB.'s) and I will soon see if it will work .

Mike Day was kind enough to read in my aws using APLSE,  exported it to Dyalog
APL,  and from there did an ASCII transliteration using Jim Weigang's A2A
routines.   Other posters sent me copies of this DOS-based APL.

Thanks to all. I'm on my way...

Skip

Sun, 07 Mar 2004 09:37:36 GMT

1. Looking for good APL encrytion algorithms for WS proctection

2. APL Transliteration & WS Transfer

3. APL+WIN and *.WS extension

4. Ampere WS-1 APL Laptop

5. Ampere WS-1 APL Laptop