APL2/PC; ATF-file format
Author Message
 APL2/PC; ATF-file format

Hi,
using IBM APL2/PC, Version 1.02 with Windows98 I have the following
problem:
If I store a workspace with the )OUT command into ATF files
a lot of real values expand to a 18 digit representation like

1.1 :  1.09999999999999987
2.4 :  2.39999999999999991
So I waste a lot of disk space if I store a huge amount of real data.
This effect appears as well in functions as in real variables.

Who can I influence the output format of real values in ATF-files?

Thanks, Karl

Sun, 29 May 2005 02:22:36 GMT
 APL2/PC; ATF-file format
Karl,

I'm afraid many people would say they think the space is not wasted.
Rather, they think it is well used because it preserves real values as
accurately as possible.  And, this is why real numbers are stored that way:
to preserve the values accurately.

There is no way to control the way )OUT formats real values.  They are
always formatted with full precision.

David Liebtag
IBM APL Products and Services

Sun, 29 May 2005 10:01:38 GMT
 APL2/PC; ATF-file format
Dave,

Quote:
> I'm afraid many people would say they think the space is not wasted.
> Rather, they think it is well used because it preserves real values as
> accurately as possible.  And, this is why real numbers are stored that way:
> to preserve the values accurately.

You mean 'precisely', of course.  The numbers stored might be wildly inaccurate if the APL program used to produce them was wrong. :)

Cheers, Paul

Sun, 29 May 2005 19:14:27 GMT

1. Toronto Toolkit - atf format, etc.

2. DIF files & APL2/PC

3. APL2/PC Exchange Assembly files

4. Conversion of .ATF >TRY >SF files

5. APL2 Picture Format

6. APL2/PC display font problem

7. APL2/PC display font problem

8. COMPLEX.QQ : necessary adjustments for use by APL2/PC

9. 32-bit APL2/PC under Windows

10. APL2/PC and DRDOS

11. memory managers & APL2/PC

12. 32-bit APL2/PC