Disaster Recovery ? (STSC) 
Author Message
 Disaster Recovery ? (STSC)

** The price of reliability is complacency **

One of the applications I support is in 5-year-old STSC APL*PLUS II.
(Office politics preclude upgrading it, because it works and everybody
knows staff are more productive using applications than writing programs)

System backup consists of copying the entire hard disk to an old
Bernoulli box.  As time goes by, cartridges wore out, but there were
still some that worked,,,

So, the user is running the backup to the LAST remaining working
cartridge, and the gremlins that run things decided it would be fun to
erase the backup cartridge AND the hard disk.

So they did.  After finding the last time anybody backed up to a
a different cartridge was a year ago, I sat down with Dos UNDELETE and
Norton UNERASE and restored all the restorable files on both the HD and
the cartridge, and at 2AM it looked as if I had everything back.

APL wouldn't run.  OK, maybe I didn't get back exactly the right copy
of the config files.  I reinstalled it (to a different drive) and it
seemed to work just fine.  Started loading workspaces.  Started seeing
the message WS DAMAGED  CLEAR WORKSPACE.  Started tying files and trying
to read them.  Typically, the first few components would work, then there
would be a FILE DATA ERROR.

Now, the data files aren't much of a problem, because there is an extra
backup to diskette for them.  But there isn't a recent copy of the
workspaces anywhere.  I wrote a quick&dirty program to page through the
damaged wss as native files, finding as expected that there is no
text representation of the functions.  The utilities supplied say
nothing about how to extract functions from a damaged workspace.
)LOAD, )XLOAD, and )COPY don't make it.

Is there anything that can do this?  If STSC or The Braegen Group read
this, the interpreter is APL*PLUS II, Release 2.0F, Serial 8904863,
I'm Zeke Hoskin, this is the B.C.Central Credit Union, and I can be
reached at (604)737-5958, fax (604)737-5910.  It's been such a long time
since anything's gone wrong, there are no help line numbers stuck to the
wall and the manuals don't give any numbers - so if anyone can email me
a current helpline number that would help a lot.

Thanks / Zeke Hoskin. Writing apps in Excel macro,
                      do I need more problems?



Mon, 19 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Disaster Recovery ? (STSC)

[deleted]

Quote:
>So, the user is running the backup to the LAST remaining working
>cartridge, and the gremlins that run things decided it would be fun to
>erase the backup cartridge AND the hard disk.
[deleted]
>APL wouldn't run.  OK, maybe I didn't get back exactly the right copy
>of the config files.  I reinstalled it (to a different drive) and it
>seemed to work just fine.  Started loading workspaces.  Started seeing
>the message WS DAMAGED  CLEAR WORKSPACE.  Started tying files and trying
>to read them.  Typically, the first few components would work, then there
>would be a FILE DATA ERROR.
[deleted]
>Now, the data files aren't much of a problem, because there is an extra
>backup to diskette for them.  But there isn't a recent copy of the
>workspaces anywhere.  I wrote a quick&dirty program to page through the
>damaged wss as native files, finding as expected that there is no
>text representation of the functions.  The utilities supplied say
>nothing about how to extract functions from a damaged workspace.
>)LOAD, )XLOAD, and )COPY don't make it.

Zeke, sorry to hear that you are having immense problems. I haven't
heard of anything that can help, though I do have a function to read
ASF files as native files. Maybe someone has a function to read .SF
files.

 I can read a workspace as a native file and glean some information
from it but it still remains a retyping job.

 Maybe your best bet is to find a company that can read your
cartridge. I did hear of one place on the news. Even think it was out
of Vancouver!



Thu, 22 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Disaster Recovery ? (STSC)
I've had this problem several times with varying degrees of
success.

FILE DATA ERROR might be only one component; read through it one
component at a time, you may bet most of them.

If you send me the files I can try tinkering with the Symbol
Table and try to locate the tokenized source (yech).  STSC is
now Manugistics Inc and for a fee will help you (they're in
Maryland like before).  Also try different un-erasers on the
disk, Norton has given me the worst success rate on workspaces.

Good luck.
/Andrew Shepp
Shepp & Associates
voice 314 9975498
fax 314 9972370



Thu, 22 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 3 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Dallas - Disaster Recovery AP

2. Data Recovery SOURCE CODE ( SOURCE CODES of Professional Data Recovery Software )

3. Smalltalk disaster at DSC

4. Disaster

5. AS400 Accelerator disaster!

6. Low Resources Disaster - Help !!

7. Addition to the C++ Disaster List [from comp.lang.ada]

8. Ariane-5 Disaster

9. List of software disasters in C++?

10. bindings disaster!

11. Addition to the C++ Disaster List

12. first conversion program: disaster

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software