Dyalog APL/W Version 7.0
Author Message
 Dyalog APL/W Version 7.0

A number of people have contacted us, enquiring about the availability of and
new features in Dyalog APL/W Version 7.0, and have asked us to post the
information to comp.lang.apl - so here's a synopsis of the information:

1.  Version 7.0 is now being shipped (ie as from 8th August 1994)
    We must apologise to all of you who have been waiting for the release;
    we have had major problems with the manuals, which have only now been
    resolved.

2.  New Features
    Below is an extract from the release notes for Version 7.0 which outlines
    the major new features of Version 7.0

If you have any further questions, then please let us know:

Tel:      : +44 (0)256 811125
Fax:      : +44 (0)256 811130

CompuServe: 100136,1473

New GUI Features
================

A Grid object which provides a spreadsheet interface for data entry and
presentation.
A ToolBar object to simplify the management of tool buttons and other
controls.
StatusBar and StatusField objects to automate the presentation of status
information and messages in your applications.
A Timer object.
Hints and Tips.
TabBar and TabBtn objects for implementing tabbed dialog boxes.
Interface to Visual Basic Custom Controls through a new Class object.
MDI support.
Forms can now own other Forms or new SubForm objects.
Metafile object for access to Windows Metafile graphics.

ODBC Support
============

Version 7 includes support for Open Database Connectivity (ODBC).  This means
that you can access local and remote SQL databases from Dyalog APL/W provided
you have the appropriate ODBC drivers installed.  ODBC support is provided by
SQAPL/EL for ODBC which is distributed under licence from Insight Systems ApS.

Namespaces
==========

Namespaces allow you to organise your workspace into logical units, and to
encapsulate callback functions and static variables inside the objects to
which they belong.  You can create a namespace using QuadWC (GUI objects are
now namespaces too), QuadNS or )NS.  In many respects namespaces are akin to
DOS directories and you refer to objects in different namespaces using a dot
syntax.  For example, UTILS.MAKEMAT refers to the object MAKEMAT in the UTILS
namespace.  The root namespace is called '#'.  You can switch from one
namespace to another using )CS or the Object List dialog box.

Configurable Session
====================

The APL session is now represented by the new Session object QuadSE.  This may
own MenuBar, ToolBar, and StatusBar objects which may themselves be populated
with controls of your choice.  This facility allows you to tailor the APL
session to your own tastes and requirements and to attach APL functions to
menu items, buttons and other objects within the session.

DOSUTILS
========

Access to commonly used DOS facilities is provided by the new DOSUTIL DLL and
its companion DOSUTILS workspace.

APL2 Compatibility
==================

Version 7 includes a new system variable QuadML (migration level) that can be
used to select APL2 compatible features where these are in conflict with
Dyalog APL behaviour.  In addition, the primitive function Find has been
implemented.

Fri, 24 Jan 1997 18:23:35 GMT
 Dyalog APL/W Version 7.0
I hope this doesn't sound snide -- I'm really curious.

Does QuadML cause A.B to be interpreted as the Dot operator with
user-defined functions, the way APL2 would interpret it?  And does it
thus cripple or defeat the "namespace" support?

I am a bit disappointed in one thing.  IBM introduced the term
"namespace" more than 2 years ago.  Now Dyalog has chosen to use that
term in a sense quite different from its meaning in APL2.  We (IBM)
originally called our support "packages", but changed that terminology
in part because it was already being used by STSC (now Manugistics)
for something different.  I'm not sure, but I think the Dyalog facility
may be closer to Manugistics packages than to APL2 namespaces, and even
closer yet to a facility that is either proposed or available in J.

Note that the Dyalog facility appears to be like local subroutines in a
compiled language, contextually defined within a single "source module".
The APL2 facility is like separately compiled routines, linked during
execution.  I believe that the APL2 approach has significantly greater
potential for supporting large development projects, for sharing code on
multi-user systems, and for providing utilities whose release schedule
is independent of their callers.  I'm sure there are advantages to the
Dyalog facility too, such as ease of creating a name-isolated environment
without resort to operating system facilities.  But my point is that the
two are radically different.

Ray Trimble, IBM APL Products.

Sun, 26 Jan 1997 01:16:59 GMT
 Dyalog APL/W Version 7.0

I am a bit disappointed in one thing.  IBM introduced the term
"namespace" more than 2 years ago.  Now Dyalog has chosen to use that
term in a sense quite different from its meaning in APL2.

<<<<<

While working at Burroughs in the 70s, Ronald Murray (now with Microsoft)
and I (Jim Ryan, now with Mobil Research & Development) both wrote a
number of papers and gave a number of talks about our notions of
"namespaces." I don't believe the term had been used previously within the
APL community. Although the Dyalog implementation differs from our
proposals, it does preserve our fundamental notion of partitioning the
workspace into separate name domains.

Sun, 26 Jan 1997 07:06:04 GMT

1. Dyalog APL for Linux - free beta version available

2. Announcement: Dyalog APL Version 8 for Windows 95

3. Trying to hire APL and DYALOG APL for Dallas

4. Converting Dyalog APL Multiple Assignments to APL*PLUS

5. Dyalog APL vs APL*PLUS UNX

6. Freeware Dyalog APL WSS for OO/APL and software management

7. APL*PLUS III vs Dyalog APL/W

8. MONDAY, 10 OCT: DYALOG APL FOR WINDOWS

9. AP127 for Dyalog APL/W

10. Dyalog APL questions

11. Toronto APL SIG Presents - Oct.30 - Peter Donnelly on Dyalog.NET and PocketAPL

12. APL Objects: DCOs (Dyalog Component Objects)