apl2 and windows 95
Author Message
 apl2 and windows 95

I want to work with apl2 (v. 1,00) within windows 95. However, I can't see apl
fonts.

I'm searching an solution but I don't find it. Can you help me ?

Thanks

Robert Sojic

Thu, 24 Sep 1998 04:00:00 GMT
 apl2 and windows 95
I assume that you are refering to the DOS version, if so, you
have to use a full screen DOS Session; not all AP's work.

If you are refering to the OS/2 version of APL2 you are out of
luck.

Mike Davis

Fri, 25 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 apl2 and windows 95
Robert,
Under Windows APL2 characters work only in a fullscreen DOS session.
I have posted this before, but here again is the statement of what
we support as far as Windows.  APL2/PC refers to the DOS APL2 product.
Regards,
Nancy Wheeler
APL Products and Services, IBM
APL2 and Windows

APL2/PC was not designed for, and is not officially supported
under, Windows (of any kind, 3.1 or 95 or NT)

However, APL2/PC can run in a DOS session under Windows.
There are some caveats:

1. ED3 does not run with APL232
2. PROFIL32 workspace makes APL232 abend.  Therefore, the default
   RUN.BAT file we ship, if used as is, causes APL232 to abend.
   To fix PROFIL32,
      Invoke APL232 without running PROFIL32
      )COPY PROFIL32
      Edit the function and comment out the last two lines.
      )SAVE PROFIL32
3. The APL2 character set does not display properly in a DOS window.
   APL2 must be run from a DOS fullscreen session under Windows,
   or outside of Windows, for full character set support.
4. Any usage of QuadPK ("peek" and "poke") is unlikely to work.
   This includes usages by APE.
5. Stability is not as good if a workspace size larger than
   actual free memory is used.  However, from all reports this
   situation is much improved under Windows 95 from what it was under
   Windows 3.1.

Fri, 25 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 apl2 and windows 95

Quote:

> I assume that you are refering to the DOS version, if so, you
> have to use a full screen DOS Session; not all AP's work.

> If you are refering to the OS/2 version of APL2 you are out of
> luck.

> Mike Davis

It is interesting to note that APL2 is considered such a high priority
item that OS/2 will not live without it. The OS/2 group is putting up
a fight to not let APL2 be made into a Windows product. It is also
strange that the OS/2 group is allowed to {*filter*} any effort to make
APL2 a worthy competitor under Windows.

I knew these kind of dirty deelings were all the part of every day life
in the "old" IBM. I am surprised that they continue now that IBM has
proven to the world that their "old" buraucracy and arrogance does
not work.

I have always liked APL2 and I would like to get a copy of APL2 but that
is not possible until they get APL2 out under Windows. I am sure there
are numerous other people in a similar position as me.

I do like J as some people may have noticed but I do not use J for
everything. I use it in combination with other applications. I am
sure I would be able to fit in APL2 applications together with the
rest if I got it in Windows 95 and/or Windows NT. Of course that APL2
would need to be in Unicode so it will not conflict with Icelandic
characters.

Incidentally there was someone saying here in this forum just recently
that APL character problems had been solved. That looks like an
overstatement.

--

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~gosi
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 27 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 apl2 and windows 95
Yes, it REALLY would be nice to be able to run APL2 under Windoze - how
long has Windows been out?????

Seriously though, with 25 years worth of APL code I am not really in the
mood to switch to another language.

I don't want to pay the price for a "developers environment" I just want
to write APL2 in a bulletproof operating system for general purpose programs.

The Dyalog APL looks nice, but 1000 pounds is steep when I don't need all
the addons.

Sun, 27 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 apl2 and windows 95
I am employed in a shop that uses multiple platforms, MVS, OS/2,
DOS, DOS/Windows and OS/2.  We will be moving into the NT/Win95
area soon.  One of the nice thing about APL2 has always been its
cross platform independence; for the most part you could move a
mainfram program and run it on the PC and vice versa.  If IBM
thinks that they can ignore NT/WIN95 as a platform for APL2 I
suspect that, that will mean APL2's eventual death.  I don't
think that user's are going to purchase OS/2 just to run APL2/2.
 I wonder if the move by Describe to no longer support OS/2
development is just the start?

Mike Davis

Mon, 28 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 apl2 and windows 95

Quote:

> I am employed in a shop that uses multiple platforms, MVS, OS/2,
> DOS, DOS/Windows and OS/2.  We will be moving into the NT/Win95
> area soon.  One of the nice thing about APL2 has always been its
> cross platform independence; for the most part you could move a
> mainfram program and run it on the PC and vice versa.  If IBM
> thinks that they can ignore NT/WIN95 as a platform for APL2 I
> suspect that, that will mean APL2's eventual death.  I don't
> think that user's are going to purchase OS/2 just to run APL2/2.
>  I wonder if the move by Describe to no longer support OS/2
> development is just the start?

> Mike DavisMike,

I think IBM APL Development only needs funding to make APL2 OS/2 into
APL2 NT/95.

I would guess that they would accept an outside company funding it.

If someone ponies up the cash, I'd help them for a dinner at Trinis.
(IBM lawyers probably require all consultants to be paid!)

Alan

Mon, 05 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. APL2 and Windows 95

2. APL2 for 95/nt looks good!

3. APL2 on Win'95/NT

4. ANNOUNCE: Helga - ODBC,CGI,Tcl,Windows NT,Windows 95,MS Windows

5. Object Studio 5.0 for Windows 95 announced with Microsoft Launch 95

6. Win '95 DDE calls in ObjectREXX for Windows 95/NT

7. Ada 83 or 95 Compiler for Windows 95 or NT

8. ADA 95 Compiler Windows 95/QNX

9. Help - Developing Windows 95 apps with ADA 95

10. ada 95 for windows 95

11. ADA'95 Compilers for Windows 95 and MS-DOS

12. Windows 3.1 to Windows '95