APL*Plus/PC under Windows 95 buglet
Author Message
 APL*Plus/PC under Windows 95 buglet

I've been using APL*Plus/pc v. 10.0 for
several years for little one-offs and as a handy calculator.

I upgraded to from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 and now I have a problem.

I run a batch program which contains these lines:

c:\apl10\aplfont
c:\apl10\apl ku c0 s24

And now, it works fine, in full screen mode, but after I

      )off

I get a stupid message from from Windows 95 which says:

Your pop-up window is ready to run. When you have finished using
it, press Ctrl+C to close this window and return to Windows.

Then I can press Ctrl+C and return to windows.

This didn't happen under Windows 3.1. It just exited.

I don't check this newsgroup, so please respond to me by email.

Joel Rubinstein

Fri, 04 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 APL*Plus/PC under Windows 95 buglet

Isn't that version of APL*PLUS/PC a 16-bit version.  If so, I
shouldn't be surprised at such strange behavior.  In fact, I wouldn't
even be surprised at such behavior with a program written to use the
Win32s calls originally for Windows 3.1.

For example, I use Wolfram's "Mathematica" ver. 2.2.3 (which supports
Win32s).  It worked fine (with minor bugs unrelated to the sort of
thing at issue here) under windows 3.1.  But under Windows 95,
whenever I quit the program I get an error message from the operating
system and have to do the End Task bit to finish off.  Wolfram says
it's harmless.  Perhaps that's the case with the bug you've found,
too.  But sure annoying!

--

  Mathematics & Statistics Dept.            Voice:  413-545-2859 (W)
  University of Massachusetts                       413-549-1020 (H)

Sun, 06 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 APL*Plus/PC under Windows 95 buglet

Subj:   Fwd: APL+PC Bug Report
Date:   96-06-19 14:18:12 EDT

FYI, here is our reply to Joel's question:

------- FORWARD, Original message follows -------

Date: Wednesday, 19-Jun-96 02:17 PM

Subject: Fwd: APL+PC Bug Report

------- FORWARD, Original message follows -------

Quote:

> I've been using APL*Plus/pc v. 10.0 for
> several years for little one-offs and as a handy calculator.

> I upgraded to from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 and now I have a problem.

> I run a batch program which contains these lines:

> c:\apl10\aplfont
> c:\apl10\apl ku c0 s24

> And now, it works fine, in full screen mode, but after I

>       )off

> I get a stupid message from from Windows 95 which says:

> Your pop-up window is ready to run. When you have finished using
> it, press Ctrl+C to close this window and return to Windows.

> Then I can press Ctrl+C and return to windows.

> This didn't happen under Windows 3.1. It just exited.

> I don't check this newsgroup, so please respond to me by email.

> Joel Rubinstein

------- FORWARD, End of original message -------

Someone forwarded your comp.lang.apl question to us here at the APL2000
Help
Desk.

I think the problem is that your batch file is loading our ram-resident
APL
screen font driver (c:\apl10\aplfont) but you never unload it from memory
before attempting to exit the DOS shell. Windows 95 is detecting that
there
is still something loaded in RAM and prompts you in case you didn't really
want to exit. You should add a new third line to your batch file which
will
unload the driver from RAM:
      c:\apl10\aplfont /R

This should take care of the problem.

- Bill Spandagos, APL2000 Help Desk

-------SALES--------------SUPPORT--------------APL2000 Inc.-------
FAX:   (609) 734-9644     (301) 998-8893       Suite 200
PHONE: (609) 734-9692     (301) 998-8801       6116 Executive Blvd

                       ON THE WEB - HTTP://members.aol.com/APL2000

------- FORWARD, End of original message -------

Joel,

This is a follow-up to my Bill Spandagos' earlier message.  If his
suggestion doesn't solve the problem, I think I know what will.  Bring up
the Properties dialog box for the APL+PC (formerly APL*PLUS PC) program,
then select the Program tab and select, by checking off, the 'Close on
Exit'
option.  This should do the trick.

Best Regards,

John Walker
APL2000 Help Desk

                        -David E. Siegel
                         Software Developer, Financial Reporting Software
(FRS)

Sun, 06 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. APL*PLUS II/386 running on Windows 95

2. APL*PLUS/PC Under Windows NT 4.0

3. Porting APL*PLUS/PC to APL.68000

4. Porting Mainframe APL to APL*PLUS/PC

5. plus-patch for Windows-95

6. APL*PLUS PC Plotting Workspace

7. APL*PLUS/PC 20th Anniversary

8. Question about APL*PLUS/PC

9. APL*Plus /PC: what graphics?

10. APL/Plus PC

11. NEDIT in STSC/APL/PC*PLUS, sloooooow...

12. APL*PLUS/PC V8.1