J: Even and Odd
Author Message
 J: Even and Odd

I haven't had a chance to get a feel for J's Even and Odd conjunctions
.. and .:.  Anyone have some cute (short?) examples that would help
me undersand the potential of these conjunctions?
  Thanks,  Cliff

--
Clifford A. Reiter
Mathematics Department, Lafayette College

Mon, 11 Dec 1995 02:22:13 GMT
 J: Even and Odd
 Reiter Clifford A writes:

Quote:
>I haven't had a chance to get a feel for J's Even and Odd conjunctions
>.. and .:.  Anyone have some cute (short?) examples that would help
>me undersand the potential of these conjunctions?
>  Thanks,  Cliff

   NB. The adverb
   NB. f .. g

   NB. while
   NB. f .: g

   NB. this is the skew-symmetric part of f with respect to g.
   NB.
   NB. The power of this tool is demonstrated, but not
   NB. explained in Calculus. That is, if you don't see what
   NB. is going on with the examples below, don't expect any
   NB. help from actually purchasing Calculus if you haven't
   NB. done so. Here is the clip.
   NB.
   NB. Emmett

   f =. 9: - *:
   m =. i. 3 3
0 1 2
3 4 5
6 7 8
   f m
  9   8   5
  0  _7 _16
_27 _40 _55
   f .. |: m
  9   4 _11
  4  _7 _28
_11 _28 _55
   f .: |: m
  0   4 16
 _4   0 12
_16 _12  0
   (f -: f .. |: + f .: |:) m NB. A tautology
1
   n =. i. 2 2 2
   f n
  9   8
  5   0

 _7 _16
_27 _40
   f .. |: n
    9   0.5
    5 _13.5

  0.5   _16
_13.5   _40
   t =. 0 2 1&|:
   f .. t n
    9   6.5
  6.5     0

   _7 _21.5
_21.5   _40
   (f .. t + f .: t) n
  9   8
  5   0

 _7 _16
_27 _40

Fri, 15 Dec 1995 09:26:28 GMT
 J: Even and Odd
Here is a brief update on the status of APL93, to be held at the University
of Toronto, August 15-19, 1993:

We have over 220 registrants as of a few days ago.

There are one or two Exhibits area booths still available.

We are seeking sponsors for various events ($$ or donations in kind are
welcome from vendors, etc), to make the conference more enjoyable for
all attendees.

Tutorial spaces are going fast! There is an error in the registration form,
which makes it appear that you can only register for Sunday Tutorials,
when, in fact, all but one of the Tutorials will be repeated during the
week. You may register for any combination of Sunday and Weekday tutorials.
We're trying to the get the email version of the registration form corrected
to fix this problem.

You may obtain information on the conference by sending email to:

If the message text is:
   send status

you'll receive a general information message with details on how to
obtain more information on program, etc. If the message text is:

   send registration

you'll receive the current registration form. If the form has not been
corrected by the time you receive it, merely mark in desired tutorial slots
and we'll attend to matters for you.

Bob Bernecky
Chair, APL93 Tutorials

Snake Island Research Inc  (416) 203-0854
18 Fifth Street, Ward's Island
Toronto, Ontario M5J 2B9
Canada

Sat, 16 Dec 1995 22:57:19 GMT

1. Odd and Even conjunctions

2. Odd and Even functions missing in RB

3. Even/odd week number

4. Printing Odd or Even page only

5. Odd or Even

6. determine whether a number is odd or even

7. Even/Odd rounding

8. Even/Odd rounding

9. odd /even addressing?

10. even vs. odd numbers

11. number representations (was: even vs. odd numbers)

12. odd or even function?