"APL/J"
Author Message
 "APL/J"

Could someone then tell me uninformed APL user where the "J" name/letter
comes from?

If J is an enhanced APL, perhaps a more appropriate name for it would be
"APL/J"?

If not, perhaps it would be best not to connect J to the name "APL" at all,
thereby allowing it to create a good image from scratch, free from any
negative associations that there may be with APL?

Is this important?

When was the "Array Processing Language" explanation for "APL" invented?
Who invented it?
--
Tomas Gustafsson - "Gustu"
Weis Impactor Oy Ltd

Fri, 28 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 "APL/J"

[snip]

Quote:

> When was the "Array Processing Language" explanation for "APL" invented?
> Who invented it?

[snip]

In 1983, Analogic Corporation introduced its "The APL Machine" which was a
complete hardware configuration based on a proprietary array processor and
which was designed for high speed interpretation of APL. The Analogic
literature explained that APL stood for "Array Processing Language".
Although the phrase probably long predated Analogic's use of it, I believe
that Analogic was the first to use it as the "official" basis of the
acronym "APL".

--

Fri, 28 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 "APL/J"

Quote:
> When was the "Array Processing Language" explanation for "APL" invented?
> Who invented it?

I thought it just was a subtitle for some conference.

If you mean the acronym APL (as in A ... Programming (or Processing)
Language)  in general, it's in the 'APL Source Book'. It says that GM had
already in the early 60s an "APL" defined by George Dodd, being an
implementation of data processing in PL/1. I'm not sure whether it was
called "Array Processing Language".
The copyrights - in favor of Iverson's APL - were settled by the
exhilarating sentence "branch offices don't non-concur", according to the
book.

In fact, who ever it did, it leaves the title of Iverson's book (and
Falkhoff's idea as well) untouched.

Sat, 29 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

2. APL/"Elvish" puzzle

3. "Grenander" APL-Workspace wanted

4. "getting" APL

5. APL users "white pages"

7. Parsing ""D""?

8. "Fifth", "Forth", zai nar?

9. Ruby "finalize", "__del__"

10. beginners "let"/"random" question

11. ANNOUNCE: new "plus"- and "dash"-patches available for Tcl7.5a2/Tk4.1a2

12. Looking for "stdin", "stdout"