ISO International Standard IS8485
Author Message
 ISO International Standard IS8485

I am in the process of building an APL interpreter model that, among
other things, can be configured to provide *only* ISO behavior.  In theory,
applications could then be tested for compliance.

Does anyone know where I can find the final accepted standard?  Can
anyone tell me where I can find a web source or at least a machine
readable source?

Cory F. Skutt

Sun, 22 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ISO International Standard IS8485

Quote:

> I am in the process of building an APL interpreter model that, among
> other things, can be configured to provide *only* ISO behavior.  In theory,
> applications could then be tested for compliance.

Cory: I see you are seeking an "APL interpreter model" rather than an
APL interpreter. If this means that an APL model of an APL interpreter
materialized on your doorstep, I'm interested. See below.

Quote:
> Does anyone know where I can find the final accepted standard?  Can
> anyone tell me where I can find a web source or at least a machine
> readable source?

I expect that several keepers of knowledge (EEM comes to mind immediately)
will reply to the former. As to the latter:

a. I am contemplating a Linux-based APL interpreter than can interface
   with APEX in a seamles manner. A problem I have at present is that
   APEX supports features that are not available from all vendors.
   For example, it supports the Rank Conjunction (SHARP APL,
   implemented by yours truly in the dark ages) and the :for/:end
   form of control structures, which I suspect is Bill Rustiser's work.
   Although Snake Island Research can work together with APL2000 and
   Soliton (and another vendor of note, such as Dyalog -- who already
   support the APL+Win control structs -- thanks, folks!) to work toward
   standards, this is a time-consuming effort.
   Note the overlap of your problem with mine, except that I need
   extensions to solve serious performance problems.

b. Given the above, and the absence of any concrete statement of support
    for Linux by any APL vendor, I am leaning toward the approach outlined
    below, which may be the last chance for APL (I was going to
    call it LAST, but decided to be more positive...):

PHAST: Parallel Hierarchic APL System Translator

Syntax and semantics:
a.  An interactive APL system that supports use of APL glyphs and
     names to enter and display APL programs.

b. Language definition restricted to features that enable rapid
    execution and simple definition. For example;
        - no bracket axis "operator". Instead, rank conjunction provides
          similar capability with more generality.
        - fundamentally, an  ISO APL subset with extensions
        - Yes, we have control structures

Implementation techniques:

a. Primitive functions share source code with APEX, so that, for example,
    the definitions of complex floor, tolerant equality, LCM, and domino
    produce precisely identical answers, whether the code is interpreted or
   compiled.

b. Use of extant tools, such as the above-requested APL model.

c. Ability to freely intermix compiled and interpreted code without the
    user or programmer necessarily being aware of this. AKA, JIT
    compilation.

Utilities:

Since some features of ISO APL are missing, we try to provide the
following tools. These may be of use to many users of APL, even if they do
not use PHAST.

- Control structure translator -- looks at goto-ridden code and cranks
  out structured code.

- Bracket killer -- looks at bracket-axis code and produces rankly code.

Bob

Thu, 26 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. branching in proposed ISO standard

2. ISO Standards Documents

3. ISO Standard for Headless Images?

4. ISO Standard Forth

5. ISO Standard for Software Revisions

6. ISO Standard Approved

7. ISO standard for EBNF

8. Oberon ISO-Standard?

9. Static scoping in BCPL (was Re: Are nested functions legal in ANSI/ISO Standard C)

10. Cost of ISO Standard Documents

11. An ISO Standard Question

12. ISO modula-2 standard TeX source: missing fonts