Control Structures in APL
Author Message
 Control Structures in APL

Just to put in my oar...

I think we have another lost opportunity here. I watched all of the
control structure debate over the years - and most of the cases seemed
to quite deservedly sink from sight.

Then along came Rob Willhoft's proposal - which seemed to make more
sense the longer I looked at it. Indeed I felt that it was an
irresistible proposal, one that would have made us all very happy if
it had been incorporated into the language.

But two years went by - nothing happened until APL*PLUS III emerged
with yet another syntax.

Good thing - we now have an implementation in the marketplace that we
can use, and judge the benefits.

Bad things - I think Willhoft's proposal was superior; even worse, we
have yet another fragmentation of the APL world and yet another excuse
for a 'how many angels on the pinhead' introspective argument.

One of the sessions scheduled at APL94 is a discussion of 'The Future
of APL' - I hope that everyone attending the conference will be able
to focus their thoughts on what we have to do to make APL (as a
generic entity) more widely adopted as a problem-solving tool.
Something that I believe has to happen as a matter of some urgency is
for us all to decide on what we want APL to be.

Thu, 30 Jan 1997 22:24:11 GMT

1. Proposal for control structures in APL

2. Proposal for control structures in APL

3. Proposal for control structures in APL (SAMSON)

4. Control Structures in APL

5. Control Structures in APL

6. Control structures in APL

7. Control structures in APL