APL90 for the PC/AT ?
Author Message
 APL90 for the PC/AT ?

Does anybody know of a version/port of APL90 for the PC/AT and where I
could get it ?

Thanks

  Juergen Heymann,  Siemens Munich (W-Germany), ZT ZTI SYS 112
--> "You trust 'Reply' with all those different mailers out there?"
--> Please append a 'reasonable' return path along with your mail. Thanks :-)
  UUCP: ....!seismo!mcvax!unido!ztivax!heymann     (ztivax is unique in UUCP)

Wed, 17 Feb 1993 10:38:00 GMT
 APL90 for the PC/AT ?
I'm interested in learning APL, but no local bookstore has any books on the subject.
Any suggestions for a good introductory text?  I will be using the Sharp
shareware APL that came over the net some time ago and will have it's manuals, but
they will probably not be enough.  Any ideas?

Fri, 19 Mar 1993 17:05:00 GMT
 APL90 for the PC/AT ?

Quote:
> I'm interested in learning APL, but no local bookstore has any books on the
> subject.
> Any suggestions for a good introductory text?  I will be using the Sharp
> shareware APL that came over the net some time ago and will have it's manuals,
> but they will probably not be enough.  Any ideas?

The Sharp Reference manual by Paul Berry has been, for some time, the best
reference manual in the APL world.  I think you will learn a lot from it.

For learning APL from scratch, there are three authors that stand out:

                Gillman and Rose
                Pakin and Polivka
                Howard Peele

The Gillman and Rose book has been around for a long time, and has had a
number of revisions.  Pakin and Polivka has also been around for some time,
but has not gone through so many revisions.

Howard Peele's book, "APL, an introduction" was published by Holt Rinehart
and Winston in 1986.  It has more than 450 pages and an index with about
1000 entries.  This book has also gone through revisions and publishers,
and earlier editions are not recommended, but this one, in my opinion,
is excellent.  Many APLers learned APL using Gillman and Rose, and swear
by it.  Today, I think Peele is better.

Disclaimer:  My opinions are my own.
--
    L. J.{*filter*}ey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.

Fri, 19 Mar 1993 13:05:00 GMT
 APL90 for the PC/AT ?

Quote:
>I'm interested in learning APL, but no local bookstore has any books on the subject.
>Any suggestions for a good introductory text?  I will be using the Sharp
>shareware APL that came over the net some time ago and will have it's manuals, but
>they will probably not be enough.  Any ideas?

The book STSC includes with their APL*PLUS product is pretty good.  It is
called APL IS EASY, and is published by John Wiley & Sons, New York.I believe
the author is Jerry Turner, and that your bookstore should be able to order
it directly from the publisher.

        Good Luck, and enjoy APL (I do!),
        Dan

--
Daniel A. Graifer                       Franklin Capital Investments
uunet!fciva!dag                         7900 Westpark Drive, Suite A130

Fri, 19 Mar 1993 13:45:00 GMT
 APL90 for the PC/AT ?

        [This was written by Scott Horne, not Yaping Xu.
        Direct all e-mail and responses to me at

Is the shareware Sharp APL available anywhere for anonymous ftp?  Or would
it be more convenient to mail the disks (probably)?  Which graphics cards does
it support?  Lastly, where can I get the documentation?  (I'd heard that they
don't distribute it with the software.)

Thanks.

                                --Scott Horne

Fri, 19 Mar 1993 19:58:00 GMT
 APL90 for the PC/AT ?

Quote:
>I'm interested in learning APL, but no local bookstore has any books on the subject.

        I learned apl from a book titled "APL An Interactive Approach"
by Leonard Gilman and Allen J. Rose.  It is published by John Wiley and
Sons, Inc, ISBN 0-471-09304-1.  If you can't order it from your local
bookstore, you can get it directly from the publisher.

        Hope this helps.

                                Best,

                                Victor
---
Victor I. Poon                  {dasys1, icus, spl1}!acsm!kepler1!vipoon
Kepler Financial Management, Ltd.
150 North Country Rd.  Bldg. B, Setauket, NY 11733
My opinions do not reflect that of my company's.

Fri, 19 Mar 1993 02:29:00 GMT

1. install/using APL90(2) on Power MAC 6100

2. VW: N-PC, V-PC

3. APP runs on one PC but not another PC

4. APP runs on one PC but not another PC

5. Need a PC@ and PC! for Win32Forth

6. RDA on from WinNT PC to Win95 PC?

7. F-PC PC TIMER

8. PC keys shuffled +/or not working in F-PC

9. Pc Boot Direct:Boot Apps on PC Processor

10. Hope for PC (was Miranda for PC)

11. WANTED: PC-SCHEME (binaries) for IBM PC

12. ANN: Pocket Scheme for the P/PC and H/PC