Printing in APL*PLUS III for Windows 3.1
Author Message
 Printing in APL*PLUS III for Windows 3.1

Hi,
        At work, we're changing over from APL*PLUS II to APL*PLUS III.  I was
pretty surprised to learn that 1 {quad}POKE 116 no longer works for sending
output to the printer.  Checking the manual, it talked about "creating a
printer object" and so forth.  It seemed like quite a few lines of code for
what used to be, essentially, "turn the printer on".  Am I missing
something very easy, such as a library of handy-dandy utility functions to
handle such tasks?  Or am I just going to have to accept that there's a new
method?

Thanks in advance,
Tim

Sun, 20 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Printing in APL*PLUS III for Windows 3.1

Quote:

>Subject:    Printing in APL*PLUS III for Windows 3.1

>Date:       1 Jan 1997 18:18:15 GMT

>Hi,
>    At work, we're changing over from APL*PLUS II to APL*PLUS III.  I
was
>pretty surprised to learn that 1 {quad}POKE 116 no longer works for
sending
>output to the printer.  Checking the manual, it talked about "creating a
>printer object" and so forth.  It seemed like quite a few lines of code
for
>what used to be, essentially, "turn the printer on".  Am I missing
>something very easy, such as a library of handy-dandy utility functions
>handle such tasks?  Or am I just going to have to accept that there's a
new
>method?

>Thanks in advance,
>Tim

First of all, APL*PLUS III is obselete.  You should be working with
APL+Win ver 1.8 (Verson 2.0 out soon). The name change is a trademark
issue, and many users conbtinue to use the old name.  If you don't have

Secondly, printing under windows is different and somewhat more complex.
This is true for all windows programs, not just APL+WIN -- it is the
nature of windows.  However, the new steps are not very complex.  You
create a printer object calle "Print" with:

'Print' []wi 'New' 'Printer'

You can output text by calling:
 'Print' []wi 'Draw' 'Text' <text to output here, as a character vector,
incl newlines>

You flush the buffer to the printer by calling:

'Print' []wi 'Close'

No printing will occur untill you make this last call.  Ther are many
other commands you can use, to set font, page position, draw graphics,
eject a page, etc etc.  These are just the bare minimum.

In general []Poke is not supported under Apl+Win.  Facilities previously
accessed with []Poke are now set in the INI file, or via system functions,
including []wi, the general windows interface call.

If you have further questions or problems in this area, please write to

I hope that this note has been helpful.

              -David E. Siegel
               Software Developer, Financial Reporting Software (FRS)

Mon, 21 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. APL*Plus III for Windows

2. Windows 98 and APL*PLUS III ver 1.2 - won't load

3. GUI in APL*PLUS III/Windows

4. Product Announcement - APL*PLUS III for Windows

5. APL*PLUS III vs Dyalog APL/W

6. VS APL and APL*PLUS III

7. Obtaining available disk space (APL*PLUS III)

8. APL*PLUS III (GUI question)

9. Alternative for []EDIT in APL*PLUS III

10. APL*PLUS III presentations

11. APL*PLUS III DDE Conversations

12. WIN98 and APL*PLUS III Installation