APL*PLUS II runtime wanted
Author Message
 APL*PLUS II runtime wanted

We need (to buy) several copies of the APL*PLUS II vers. 5. runtime for
DOS (No time to adapt application to later APLs)

Can anyone help ? APL 2000 and Manugistics do not respond on this issue.

Also, a full set (with documentation)  of the development kit
could be of use.

Thanks

Sun, 03 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 APL*PLUS II runtime wanted

Quote:
>We need (to buy) several copies of the APL*PLUS II vers. 5. runtime for
>DOS (No time to adapt application to later APLs)

>Can anyone help ? APL 2000 and Manugistics do not respond on this issue.

>Also, a full set (with documentation)  of the development kit
>could be of use.

>Thanks

Manugistics does not deal with this problem. All rights in this product were
transfered to APL2000 years ago.

Version 5 is obselete,  there are probably no disks in stock.  version 6 of
APL+Dos (aka APL*Plus II) includes several enhancements, but all programs
written in version 5 should run without problem.

(such as the support hotline) response would be delayed (Support is in
Maryland, Sales is in New Jersey).   The sales telephone number is
609-734-9533.  The contact person is Ed Kobialka.  I don't know what the price
would be for what you want.

[posted and emailed]

                 -David E. Siegel

Sun, 03 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 APL*PLUS II runtime wanted

Quote:

> Version 5 is obselete,  there are probably no disks in stock.

 version 6 of APL+Dos (aka APL*Plus II) includes several
 enhancements, but all programs written in version 5 should run
 without problem.

if find this quite amazing. i can understand different APLs
not making a big effort to stay compatible with each other,
but that between versions of the _same_ APL there might be
a lack of conversion utilities?? If so, it would seem the
vendors are giving their customers ample opportunities to
leave. i am probably reading too much into this;) Please
disabuse me.

greg heil

http://www.scn.org/tl/anvil

Sun, 03 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 APL*PLUS II runtime wanted

Quote:

> This is what I meant by " but all programs written in version 5 should run
> without problem " -- I thought that that was fairly clear.

Quite right, i saw that. i was really remarking more on the context
though - it was i that was unclear. May i take it upward compatibility
and/or convertibility is maintained throughout the line, including
from 16 to 32 bit OS versions?

greg heil

http://www.scn.org/tl/anvil

Sun, 03 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 APL*PLUS II runtime wanted

Quote:

>> Version 5 is obselete,  there are probably no disks in stock.
> version 6 of APL+Dos (aka APL*Plus II) includes several
> enhancements, but all programs written in version 5 should run
> without problem.
>if find this quite amazing. i can understand different APLs
>not making a big effort to stay compatible with each other,
>but that between versions of the _same_ APL there might be
>a lack of conversion utilities?? If so, it would seem the
>vendors are giving their customers ample opportunities to
>leave. i am probably reading too much into this;) Please
>disabuse me.

>greg heil

>http://www.scn.org/tl/anvil

You misunderstood what I wrote.  Perhaps I wasn't clear.  Version 5 of APL+DOS
(formerly APL*PLUS II) is not the current version, so a run-time specifically
for version 5 (which is what the msg I was responding to asked for) is probably
not available.  Version 6 is current.  AFAIK, *ALL* code written for version 5,
and *ALL* workspaces saved with version 5, will run with version 6 -- version 6
is a superset of version 5 -- It added some features and fixed some bugs.  All
version 5 code should be completely compatible with version 6 -- if any is not,
it is a bug, and I know of no such bug.  No conversion utilities are needed,
since ver 6 can simply load (or copy) a workspace saved in version 5 (or 4 or 3
for that matter).  Once a workspace is saved in version 6, ver 5 might not be
able to read it -- I'm not sure if there was a change in internal structure.
This did occur between versions 3 and 4 IIRC, and between versions 1 and 2 of
APL+WIN I think.  But upward compatibility has always been maintained, AFAIK.

This is what I meant by " but all programs written in version 5 should run
without problem " -- I thought that that was fairly clear.

                 -David E. Siegel

Mon, 04 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 APL*PLUS II runtime wanted

Quote:

>> Version 5 is obselete,  there are probably no disks in stock.
> version 6 of APL+Dos (aka APL*Plus II) includes several
> enhancements, but all programs written in version 5 should run
> without problem.

Obsolete is probably a misleading word... "out of print" is the
closest one I can think of.

Quote:
>if find this quite amazing. i can understand different APLs
>not making a big effort to stay compatible with each other,
>but that between versions of the _same_ APL there might be
>a lack of conversion utilities??

All necessary conversion utilities (i.e. none) are present in the
new version.  Runtime workspaces may need to be reset, but
not much else.

If so, it would seem the

Quote:

--
|\/|Randy A MacDonald    |Children love to learn, until they are taught otherwise

    BSc(Math) UNBF '83   | APL: If you can say it, it's done.

    (CDN, leftie, b.1962)| Also http://www.godin.on.ca/randy
--------------------------------------------------------------<-NTP>----{ gnat }-

Mon, 04 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 APL*PLUS II runtime wanted

Quote:

>> This is what I meant by " but all programs written in version 5 should run
>> without problem " -- I thought that that was fairly clear.

>Quite right, i saw that. i was really remarking more on the context
>though - it was i that was unclear. May i take it upward compatibility
>and/or convertibility is maintained throughout the line, including
>from 16 to 32 bit OS versions?

>greg heil

In general, Yes.  APL+Win can read workspaces from APL+DOS (but not the other
way around)  All strictly APL code runs the same on both.  However, much of the
special system interface features of APL+DOS (eg []WIN []POKE []WKEYS etc) are
not present in APL+DOS, and code which uses them must be re-written before it
will run correctly.  In general, any code which has much of a user interface
must/should be modified when moving from dos-based to windows-based.

APL+UNIX has the same core as APL+DOS, with some system interface
specializations I think.

Component files writen in APL+DOS and APL+Win have the same internal format,
and each can read and alter component files created by the other.  This
includes user command files.

LEX2000, the application which I work on, was ported from APL+DOS to APL+WIN.
Much code was re-written to adapt to teh windows interface or to the
event-driven windows style,but much code was ported unchanged.

                 -David E. Siegel

Mon, 04 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. XP and APL font for APL-PLUS II?

2. Paradox and APL*PLUS II (Or APL+WIN) and Memo Fields

3. Need Assistance to Use APL*Plus II/386 Under WINNT

4. APLBUG : MANUGISTICS demos APL PLUS II release 5 : Software Drwng

5. STSC APL*PLUS II Version 4

6. STSC APL*PLUS for Mac II: any patches?

7. APL PLUS II V5.2 Graphic Init

8. Converting - APL PLUS II 386 - WinAPL

9. APL*PLUS II Error trapping

10. APL*PLUS II/386 running on Windows 95

11. APL*PLUS II under NT4.0 - continued

12. APL*PLUS II under NT4.0