Simple courses in J for simple (ordinary) people
Author Message
 Simple courses in J for simple (ordinary) people

Are there any courses in J available ?

I am thinking about exercises you can give to people solving simple
things like
reading files replacing texts, doing simple arithmetic and so on. Step by
step
instructions using the new Visual J facilities.

Something like:

You create one execute window and one script window and tile them
in the script window. You type in things and execute them line by line
and
watch the results in the execute window and then you run the window
and watch the result file being created.

 -------------------------- simple script -----
NB.rplc verb from '\main\misc.js'
NB. load it in or run it from this script

NB. rplc
rplc=: 3 : 0
NB. replace characters in text string
NB. syntax: text rplc old;new
:
x=. ,x.
'on'=. ,&.>y.
if. 0=l=. #o
do. x return. end.
x=. x <;.1~ 1,}. o E. x

;(f b#x) (b#i.#b) }x
)

[a=.1!:0  'c:\ftp\*.txt'
#b=.1!:1 <'c:\ftp\jfaq.txt'
 lf=. 10 { a. [ nl=. 13 { a. [ eof=. 26 { a.
#i=. u # i. # u=. b = nl
#i=. u # i. # u=. b = lf
#c=.b rplc lf;nl,lf
#i=. u # i. # u=. c = nl

c 1!:2 <'c:\ftp\jfaq2.txt'

 ------------------------

And then of course possibly step by step instructions to some more
advanced things.

/Gosi

Tue, 24 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Simple courses in J for simple (ordinary) people
I think a simple text for simple (ordinary) people supplementing the
reference material in the documentation contained in the J system would
be a suitable "low-tech" alternative to the Visual J tutorial suggested
by Bjorn.

It would be interesting to discuss further what a "simple" course
consists of from the point of view of different people.  For some, the
current materials are already simple and adequate.

Fri, 27 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Simple courses in J for simple (ordinary) people
:
: I think a simple text for simple (ordinary) people supplementing the
: reference material in the documentation contained in the J system would
: be a suitable "low-tech" alternative to the Visual J tutorial suggested
: by Bjorn.
:

             I sincerely want to learn J and purchased
             the shareware over a year ago. And still
             I don't understand a thing about J. Also
             the Mac version I have crashes all the
             time.

             The language of the book has to be redone
             or a simple, layman's edition written. Also
             I would like a stable Mac version. I am
             willing to put in the time. But I have to
             have more to work with than confusing and
             inexplicable text and unstable software.

                         Bob Allisat

Thu, 05 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Simple courses in J for simple (ordinary) people

2. Simple courses in J for simple (ordinary) people

3. developing in J with simple tools and simple minds

4. Very simple awk for a simple user

5. Simple task-not simple for Dummy, Help

6. Simple Hardware, Simpler FORTH

7. Simple forth question - maybe simple ?

8. Question in french (a simple question, very simple)

9. Simple Question seeks simple answer

10. Simple problem, simple solution.

11. JS-EAI with *JS*-callback

12. js.exception 3279.js