Time
Author Message
 Time

I just installed IBM APL2 for Windows.  When I display a function,
it shows the time it was created correctly, but follows it with something
like:

 2001-12-31 11.27.31 (GMT-5)

Actually, I am on Pacific Standard Time, and this is correctly shown in the
11.27.31 part.  We  are not 5 hours from CUT (Coordinated Universal
Time), not 5.  I believe the expression GMT is now incorrect since the
observatory at Greenwish is no longer functioning, but that is another
question!  How can I fix the 5 to read 8?

Gerry

Sat, 19 Jun 2004 03:43:17 GMT
 Time

Quote:

> I just installed IBM APL2 for Windows.  When I display a function,
> it shows the time it was created correctly, but follows it with something
> like:

>  2001-12-31 11.27.31 (GMT-5)

> Actually, I am on Pacific Standard Time, and this is correctly shown in the
> 11.27.31 part.  We  are not 5 hours from CUT (Coordinated Universal
> Time), not 5.  I believe the expression GMT is now incorrect since the
> observatory at Greenwish is no longer functioning, but that is another
> question!  How can I fix the 5 to read 8?

> Gerry

Try  #TZ {<-} {neg}8

Coordinated Universal Time is abbreviated UTC.

--- Brian

Sun, 20 Jun 2004 21:07:08 GMT
 Time
Gerry,
The time routines from the C compiler we use for the APL2 interpreter depend on
an environment variable for the time zone stuff.  On all operating systems but
Windows, this environment variable (TZ) is normally set by default.  But on
Windows it's not.  So you have to set it in order to make all the time zone
stuff happen automatically.    For example,
    SET TZ=PST8PDT
is what I have in my AUTOEXEC.BAT (Windows 95).   On NT or 2000 you would go
into the System notebook, the Environment settings to do it.
There is more detail on the format for TZ in the APL2 User's Guide, chapter
"Invoking APL2", section "Invocation Syntax", subsection "System Environment
Variables".

Regards,
Nancy Wheeler
APL Products and Services
IBM

Quote:

> I just installed IBM APL2 for Windows.  When I display a function,
> it shows the time it was created correctly, but follows it with something
> like:

>  2001-12-31 11.27.31 (GMT-5)

> Actually, I am on Pacific Standard Time, and this is correctly shown in the
> 11.27.31 part.  We  are not 5 hours from CUT (Coordinated Universal
> Time), not 5.  I believe the expression GMT is now incorrect since the
> observatory at Greenwish is no longer functioning, but that is another
> question!  How can I fix the 5 to read 8?

> Gerry

Mon, 21 Jun 2004 01:51:52 GMT
 Time
Greenwich observatory is now a museum, but the 0th meridian is deemed to be
still HERE and very unlikely to be ever moved !

So it's GMT for ever !

Martin
Greenwich, UK

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 09:49:25 GMT
 Time

Quote:
> Greenwich observatory is now a museum, but the 0th meridian is deemed to
be
> still HERE and very unlikely to be ever moved !

> So it's GMT for ever !

> Martin
> Greenwich, UK

Martin:  I hope you can tolerate a little frivolity!

The observatory is gone, so GMT is gone.  The zeroth line of longitude is
there, and the time there is called, at least in aeronautical circles, "ZULU
Time"!  Other lines at  15 degree intervals corresponding to an hour use
other letters of the alphabet.  How about that?

The clock for the world is now in Boulder, Colorado.  Those {*filter*}y Yanks,
you know!

Gerry

Mon, 28 Jun 2004 09:11:31 GMT
 Time
The moment i am anything else than GMT+2 in the Time Zone settings in
Windows Control Panel, i will really shift over to another OS. Some things
can't be changed. GMT forever!!

Quote:

> > Greenwich observatory is now a museum, but the 0th meridian is deemed to
> be
> > still HERE and very unlikely to be ever moved !

> > So it's GMT for ever !

> > Martin
> > Greenwich, UK

> Martin:  I hope you can tolerate a little frivolity!

> The observatory is gone, so GMT is gone.  The zeroth line of longitude is
> there, and the time there is called, at least in aeronautical circles,
"ZULU
> Time"!  Other lines at  15 degree intervals corresponding to an hour use
> other letters of the alphabet.  How about that?

> The clock for the world is now in Boulder, Colorado.  Those {*filter*}y Yanks,
> you know!

> Gerry

Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:13:32 GMT

1. Bug in time.c (was Time.times problems)

2. time and scheduling (was: bug report: [ #447945 ] time.time() is not non-decreasing)

3. time zones, daylight saving time, and universal time

4. Manugistics run-time [was: STSC run-time]

5. GMT time vs. local time

6. Comparing system time and log file time

7. converting time in a string to a time field

8. Create Time / date or Modified Time / date of a txt file

9. Run-time & Design-time window size problem

10. time to time with different dates...

11. real time dispaly of time.

12. TIME&DATE in HTML shows TIME