APL*PLUS III vs Dyalog APL/W
Author Message
 APL*PLUS III vs Dyalog APL/W

I am currently evaluating both APL*PLUS III and
Dyalog APL/W with an eye to converting various
DOS/text APL applications to GUI.  I have a good
appreciation of the relative merits of both
interpreters, but I would be most interested in
hearing from anyone who has compared them with
respect to distributing *run-time* copies of
applications, with respect to such things as
reliability and ease of creation.  Thanks for
any feedback.        Brian Oliver

Sat, 06 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 APL*PLUS III vs Dyalog APL/W

Quote:

>I am currently evaluating both APL*PLUS III and
>Dyalog APL/W with an eye to converting various
>DOS/text APL applications to GUI.  I have a good
>appreciation of the relative merits of both
>interpreters, but I would be most interested in
>hearing from anyone who has compared them with
>respect to distributing *run-time* copies of
>applications, with respect to such things as
>reliability and ease of creation.  Thanks for
>any feedback.        Brian Oliver

I made a number of machine-dependant cover functions in Mac-APL and their
counterparts in APL*PLUS.

Yesterday evening I transferred a rather substatial application (that was
programmed using those machine-dependant coverfunctions, of course) and had
it up and running (including the extensive GUI's) in less than 1 hour!!!!!

This is the good part of the story; the bad one is that letting it run last
night, this morning it appeared to be stuck in "WINDOW-MEMORY-ERROR". This
is not something that I can tackle, so I am wondering now if I made the good
choise to go to APL*PLUS; should I also go to Dyalog?

So here is my information about APL*PLUS. I have no experience with porting
to Dyalog APL except that their transfer-functions IN and OUT are extremely
buggy which turned me off initially (in APL*PLUS the transfer functions work
like a charm; a did a lot of porting between APL68000 IBM/APL2 and APL*PLUS
and it worked very smooth, contrary to Dyalog).

Please keep me informed about Dyalog/APL*PLUS considerations.

Yours.................................Eke

Sun, 07 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 APL*PLUS III vs Dyalog APL/W
Over two years ago my group at work converted from APL*PLUS II to Dyalog APL/W.  At that time,
and I believe still is, Dyalog APL/W is the technological leader when it comes to APL interpeters
and GUI programming features.  Dyadic Systems continue to  improve an already good product
and continues to do so with its new Windows 95 - Dyalog APL/95 product.

Designing GUI applications in APL/W is where this product really shines.  It includes an excellent
set of high-level tools.  It also includes a native grid object, which I understand is not
a part of APL*PLUS III, which is very useful when you want to display data.  I have sent Dyalog
APL-GUI applications out to clients with good results.  The introduction of "namespaces" and
that fact that GUI objects in APL/W are namespaces offers alot of promise.  ODBC (database)
support is also built into the product (ie. no add-on fee) which is also proving useful.  Dyadic
also gives you one or two updates at no charge.  I cannot remember APL*PLUS ever doing this.
 Perhaps under new ownership this policy may change.

Converting from APL*PLUS II to Dyalog is not difficult but can be time consuming if you have
alot of workspaces, we did.  Dyadic Systems can provide you with an APL*PLUS workspace that
can convert that workspace to a Dyalog transfer file which can then be read into Dyalog.  Note,
the transfer file will not convert APL*PLUS III GUI to Dyalog.  I would like Dyadic to adopt
IBM APL )IN )OUT transfer file features that APL*PLUS already has.

I discovered APL/W when we trying to a find a Windows APL that would operate under OS/2-WINOS2.
 APL/W ran under OS/2 2.1 but APL*PLUS II (Windows mode) would not).  I know that APL*PLUS
III can now run under OS/2 and I am happy they have updated this product.  Perhaps if APL*PLUS
III was around when we decided to switch we might have stayed with APL*PLUS, but, having converted
to APL/W, I can say that we are very pleased that we did.

I hope this gives you some insight.

R. Byers

Thu, 11 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 APL*PLUS III vs Dyalog APL/W
...> Dyalog APL/W is the technological leader when it
...> comes to APL interpeters and GUI programming
...> features.  Dyadic Systems continue to  improve an
...> already good product and continues to do so with its
...> new Windows 95 - Dyalog APL/95 product.

Does it support Unicode ?
/Gosi

Sun, 14 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 APL*PLUS III vs Dyalog APL/W

Quote:
>...> Dyalog APL/W is the technological leader when it
>...> comes to APL interpeters and GUI programming
>...> features.  Dyadic Systems continue to  improve an
>...> already good product and continues to do so with its
>...> new Windows 95 - Dyalog APL/95 product.

I'm looking for information about both of these APL products.  Can someone
point me to either an email address, a web page or a phone number?   Thanks.

                                Art

Mon, 15 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 APL*PLUS III vs Dyalog APL/W
Dyadic Systems Internet address is:

Their phone number in the U.K. is:

+44 1256 811125
+44 1256 811130    (Fax)

I have heard that Dyadic Systems is building a Web site.  The only APL vendor with a Web site
is IBM.  Use the Yahoo search tool under Computer Languages & APL to take a look.  APL2 for
OS/2 is a good, low cost APL.  It is not as full-featured or innovative as Dyadic's APL/W but
it still worth checking out.

Bob

Wed, 17 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Dyalog APL vs APL*PLUS UNX

2. VS APL and APL*PLUS III

3. Converting Dyalog APL Multiple Assignments to APL*PLUS

4. plotting ws for APL+III/win?

5. Trying to hire APL and DYALOG APL for Dallas

6. Freeware Dyalog APL WSS for OO/APL and software management

7. Obtaining available disk space (APL*PLUS III)

8. APL*Plus III for Windows

9. APL*PLUS III (GUI question)

10. Alternative for []EDIT in APL*PLUS III

11. APL*PLUS III presentations

12. APL*PLUS III DDE Conversations