web hosting with APL ? 
Author Message
 web hosting with APL ?

I suppose it's a stupid question but Is there a web hosting provider who
allows users to use APL for CGI scripts ?  Thanks



Fri, 14 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 web hosting with APL ?

Quote:

> allows users to use APL for CGI scripts ?  Thanks


Look at http://www.lingo.com


Sat, 15 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 web hosting with APL ?

Quote:


> > allows users to use APL for CGI scripts ?  Thanks

> Look at http://www.lingo.com

Interesting, but I don't think it answers the question. Lingo Allegro
have (I suspect) their own internet host which runs the APL - quite
different from asking an ISP to run APL on their server. I doubt that
any web hoster will alow this.

Secondly, if you or anyone else at Pharmacia & Upjohn want to conceal
your identity, can't you at least spell NOWHERE correctly?

--
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GO/! d- s++:+ a+ C++(++++) US+++$ P+ L+ E--- W++ N++ w--- O- V- PS+
PE- Y+ PGP- t+ 5++ X+ R* tv+ b+ DI++ D G e(*) h++/-- r+++ y?
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

-----------------------------------------------------
Bob Hoekstra:   APL & Unix Consultant
Tele:           +44 (0)1483 771028
                http://www.khamsin.demon.co.uk

-----------------------------------------------------



Thu, 27 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 web hosting with APL ?

Quote:


> > > allows users to use APL for CGI scripts ?  Thanks

> > Look at http://www.lingo.com

> Interesting, but I don't think it answers the question. Lingo Allegro
> have (I suspect) their own internet host which runs the APL - quite
> different from asking an ISP to run APL on their server. I doubt that
> any web hoster will alow this.

> Secondly, if you or anyone else at Pharmacia & Upjohn want to conceal
> your identity, can't you at least spell NOWHERE correctly?

1. Sure, the ISP that allows (for extra money, usually) to run active
   server-side stuff, will allow to run the software similar to what
   can be seen on the Web site above.  There is no way to know whether
   it is written in APL or not.  It also doesn't have any impact on the
   server itself, even if APL stuff dies.

2. I run the domain name thru the spell checker.  I hope it is correct
   now.  Enjoy.

Andrei Kondrashev

=========
P.S.  Sorry, I don't place here any idiotic characters.
=========



Fri, 28 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 web hosting with APL ?

(Forwarded to group from Bob Hoekstra)
I quite agree with Jan. Unfortunately, his message is likely to suffer
the same fate.

Quote:

> ...
> Zo simpel ligt het denk ik niet. Het doel van taal is communiceren.
> Daarvoor is het wederzijds begrijpen van de boodschap essenti?el. Hiermee
> dient dus ook de verzender van de boodschap rekening te houden. (Vgl. de
> wetenschappelijke beschrijvingen van een medisch instituut in Georgi?
over
> bacteriofagen; doordat deze in het Georgisch waren gesteld kregen ze in
de
> medisch-wetenschappelijke wereld niet de belangstelling die ze verdienden
> of nodig hadden).

> Groeten,
> Jan Karman

The nice thing is that the dieresis come through neatly over the net (by
the way the dieresis is the only native diacritical mark in the Dutch
language (the remaining are imported - mostly from French); it is used to
distinguishing a diphthong from a new syllable. E.g. we would write
"di?resis" (another example is co?peration).

Jan Karman



Sun, 30 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 web hosting with APL ?

Quote:



> but Is there a web hosting provider who
>> > > allows users to use APL for CGI scripts ?  Thanks


Note that in the Windows environment, any APL that can communicate with
WinSock can BE a web server, making the CGI link redundant...

--
|\/| Randy A MacDonald       | Bring me... BLUE PAGES!!!!

     BSc(Math) UNBF '83      | APL: If you can say it, it's done.

                             | Also http://www.godin.on.ca/randy
------------------------------------------------<-NTP>----{ gnat }-



Thu, 10 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 web hosting with APL ?

Quote:

> Note that in the Windows environment, any APL that can communicate with
> WinSock can BE a web server, making the CGI link redundant...

You don't need a Windoze environment - TCP/IP connectivity is adequate.
This means that you can do this from ANY environment that provides the
connectivity... (try an MVS or VM mainframe with TCP/IP :-). However,
the original question was about ISPs. Most of them have the good sense
to know that, if you want reliability and speed, you put your web server
on a UNIX box. This does not preclude APL (I have just reviewed Dyalog
APL/M for Vector) but it does give the sysadmins the power to say NO to
any process on their machine they are not familiar with or do not trust.
If I was the sysadmin at an ISP's site I'd be very suspicious...

And now we're back onto the old argument of horses for courses. Apache
provides (free) an excellent web server, but I must write my own in APL?
That's insane! HTTP daemons should be efficient, and creating one with
any interpreted language will not do. I can imagine that Randy may do
this at his place of work (but then he runs Windoze, so he has clock
cycles to waste), but I will continue to use Apache (it has the lion's
share of the market, and not because it is free).

--
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GO/! d- s++:+ a+ C++(++++) US+++$ P+ L+ E--- W++ N++ w--- O- V- PS+
PE- Y+ PGP- t+ 5++ X+ R* tv+ b+ DI++ D G e(*) h++/-- r+++ y?
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

-----------------------------------------------------
Bob Hoekstra:   APL & Unix Consultant
Tele:           +44 (0)1483 771028
                http://www.khamsin.demon.co.uk

-----------------------------------------------------



Fri, 11 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 web hosting with APL ?



Quote:

>> Note that in the Windows environment, any APL that can communicate with
>> WinSock can BE a web server, making the CGI link redundant...

>You don't need a Windoze environment - TCP/IP connectivity is adequate.

Note that the problem of calling TCP/IP functionality has been solved in
Windows APL interpreters, which cannot be said for other environments.

Quote:
>This means that you can do this from ANY environment that provides the
>connectivity... (try an MVS or VM mainframe with TCP/IP :-). However,
>the original question was about ISPs. Most of them have the good sense
>to know that, if you want reliability and speed, you put your web server
>on a UNIX box. This does not preclude APL (I have just reviewed Dyalog
>APL/M for Vector) but it does give the sysadmins the power to say NO to
>any process on their machine they are not familiar with or do not trust.
>If I was the sysadmin at an ISP's site I'd be very suspicious...

Thus my presentation of an alternative.

Quote:
>And now we're back onto the old argument of horses for courses. Apache
>provides (free) an excellent web server, but I must write my own in APL?
>That's insane!
>HTTP daemons should be efficient, and creating one with
>any interpreted language will not do.

The prejudicial, untested, and outdated interpreted=slow dogma will not do.
Consider that most of the http session time will be consumed with actually
retrieving the data, the addition of some relatively simple statements to
handle a "GET" or two don't seem to be a major overhead.  Otherwise, why
do _ANY_ of the work in APL, which rejects any premise for th

Quote:
> I can imagine that Randy may do this at his place of work (but then he runs
> Windoze, so he has clock cycles to waste),

machine=cheap, people=expensive, If Windows saves me time by burning
clock cycles, so be it.

Of course,  I did fail to mention that you could also implement (the
required functionality of, certainly not that matching any potential web
request, only the ones you want to implement) a web server in J for
Linux. which we also use via CGI from Apache.

Quote:
>but I will continue to use Apache (it has the lion's
>share of the market, and not because it is free).

--
|\/| Randy A MacDonald       | Bring me... BLUE PAGES!!!!

     BSc(Math) UNBF '83      | APL: If you can say it, it's done.

                             | Also http://www.godin.on.ca/randy
------------------------------------------------<-NTP>----{ gnat }-


Fri, 11 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 web hosting with APL ?

Quote:




Hogshead - hee hee hee!

Quote:
> ...
> Note that the problem of calling TCP/IP functionality has been solved in
> Windows APL interpreters, which cannot be said for other environments.

I can certainly use TCP/IP from Dyalog APL/M on my Sun box. I think I'm
right if I say that APL2 had TCP/IP connectivity under AIX and SunOS
long ago (certainly before there was an APL2 for Windoze). I had a trial
copy of a 3rd party product to access TCP/IP from Dyalog's UNIX APLs
over 2 years ago. What I'm saying is (read my lips) "you don't need
Windows - or any other Microsoft product for this". It CAN be said for
other environments.

Quote:
> >This means that you can do this from ANY environment that provides the
> >connectivity... (try an MVS or VM mainframe with TCP/IP :-). However,
> >the original question was about ISPs. Most of them have the good sense
> >to know that, if you want reliability and speed, you put your web server
> >on a UNIX box. This does not preclude APL (I have just reviewed Dyalog
> >APL/M for Vector) but it does give the sysadmins the power to say NO to
> >any process on their machine they are not familiar with or do not trust.
> >If I was the sysadmin at an ISP's site I'd be very suspicious...

> Thus my presentation of an alternative.

Please read my paragraph again and then explain what you mean by this
response please.

Quote:
> >And now we're back onto the old argument of horses for courses. Apache
> >provides (free) an excellent web server, but I must write my own in APL?
> >That's insane!

> >HTTP daemons should be efficient, and creating one with
> >any interpreted language will not do.

> The prejudicial, untested, and outdated interpreted=slow dogma will not do.
> Consider that most of the http session time will be consumed with actually
> retrieving the data, the addition of some relatively simple statements to
> handle a "GET" or two don't seem to be a major overhead.  Otherwise, why
> do _ANY_ of the work in APL, which rejects any premise for th

OK, but what about a "GET" or two thousand? Plus handling other tasks?
I'd be the first to defend APL's general efficiency as interpreted
languages go, but you have to admit that interpretation does produce an
overhead which compiled languages avoid. On a busy server, this is to be
avoided if at all possible.

Many ISPs do have busy servers. Frequently these servers run multiple
instances of the HTTPD - for my home network I start 5 as a matter of
course, and I've seen 20 running on a departmental intranet server. You
want to run APL in this way? How much memory do you want to install?

Quote:
> > I can imagine that Randy may do this at his place of work (but then he runs
> > Windoze, so he has clock cycles to waste),

> machine=cheap, people=expensive, If Windows saves me time by burning
> clock cycles, so be it.

Good point, but only if you actually do something useful with the clock
cycles. Its no good buying an expensive machine just because your OS
requires it unless that machine/OS combination provides you with
something you otherwise couldn't get.

Quote:
> Of course,  I did fail to mention that you could also implement (the
> required functionality of, certainly not that matching any potential web
> request, only the ones you want to implement) a web server in J for
> Linux. which we also use via CGI from Apache.

At last something we can agree on. I am all for running J or APL based
CGI, but not for writing your web server in APL (or J, BASIC, Smalltalk,
etc). To extend your earlier statement: machine=cheap, people=expensive,
Apache=free. Makes sense, no?

--
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GO/! d- s++:+ a+ C++(++++) US+++$ P+ L+ E--- W++ N++ w--- O- V- PS+
PE- Y+ PGP- t+ 5++ X+ R* tv+ b+ DI++ D G e(*) h++/-- r+++ y?
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

-----------------------------------------------------
Bob Hoekstra:   APL & Unix Consultant
Tele:           +44 (0)1483 771028
                http://www.khamsin.demon.co.uk

-----------------------------------------------------



Sat, 12 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 11 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. PHP Web Hosting Shop - Find Your Web Hosting

2. Professional and Affordable Web Design and Hosting

3. Web Hosting

4. Professional and Affordable Web Design and Hosting

5. Web Hosting

6. Web Hosting

7. Web Hosting Services

8. WEB HOSTING - USD200 For 1000MB Disk Space

9. MySQL on Windows webserver Web Hosting

10. web hosting services - recommendations sought

11. Can you recommend a good web hosting ISP?

12. Web hosting site

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software