APL FAQ
Author Message
 APL FAQ

 I did not see any mention of TRYAPL2 in Sam Sirlin's FAQ. Why the omission?

Tue, 27 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 APL FAQ

|>  I did not see any mention of TRYAPL2 in Sam Sirlin's FAQ. Why the omission?

Just look under IBM.

--
Sam Sirlin                Jet Propulsion Laboratory

WWW: http://grover.jpl.nasa.gov/~sam/index.html

Tue, 27 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 APL FAQ
 I believe that TRYAPL2 deserves better than just a footnote under IBM.
It is after all a complete APL version. It misses shared variables and
allows for only one library (all workspaces must be in the same directory
as the APL interpreter).
 Elsewhere it is being pointed out that APL2 is expensive because (to
paraphrase--I do not have the exact text in front of me) "one needs to
also purchase OS/2 which is too much" or something along these lines.
My answer to that is: TRYAPL2 is FREE! and it will (probably) run on
almost any DOS configuration that supports a color monitor.
 It is an ideal language to teach APL with nested arrays. I spent one and
a half years developping 22 tutorial lessons (workspaces) on APL2 using
TRYAPL2. (An early version of these was given at Stanford, copies were
given in Toronto to Anthony Camacho and to{*filter*} Holt for FREE distribution.)
Unfortunately to the best of my knowledge that seems to be as far as it got.

Wed, 28 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 APL FAQ
 APL2 expensive????  You can get APL2 for OS/2 (entry edition) for abo
 $125, and Warp for under $100, from a company called Indelible Blue i
 North Carolina (they have an 800 number, call 1-800-555-1212 to get i
 I don't remember it right now).  This totals around $225, certainly

 under $250 with shipping.  The main things missing from the entry edi
 are the APs which talk to DB2 and to TCP/IP.  Compare to the other

 full-featured, GUI-hosted (and GUI-speaking) APLs; this is a BARGAIN.

 And you get OS/2 thrown in.

--

Sun, 01 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. APL FAQ - correction re Sharp APL

2. Shareware APL, APL FAQ, J for Windows

3. apl faq?

4. www apl faq

5. APL FAQ

6. apl faq