Looking for York APL
Author Message
 Looking for York APL

York APL was also used by the Ryerson Computing Centre (Toronto),
Statistics Canada, and the Triangle Universities Computing Centre (in
US). At York University it was used in the York University Computing
Centre.

I think the MCM computer (which was advertised in this newsgroup) used
York APL or a later version of it.

York APL was interesting in that it was APL but had a number of
variations. The ones that come to mind were the lack of workspace
(functions were saved individually) and the lack of a scalars, i.e.
rank-0 objects (single elements were always one-element vectors). It
had an "unquote" function which was an early version of "execute"
before "execute" was implemented by IBM, and a built-in method (using
I-beams) to write native IBM files (like the TSIO auxiliary processor
but not using an auxilliary processor). No component file system
though. It was also a very compact implementation.

I guess it is noteworthy in terms of interpreter development in Canada
- perhaps a history of the interpreter including manuals, as part of a
history of the development of APL, would also be a nice way of
preserving York APL and making it relevant in today's context, as well
as resurrecting the bits.

Mon, 03 May 2004 15:03:32 GMT
 Looking for York APL
in 1974, the university of rochester decided to upgrade
their apl service and had to choose between ibm's aplsv
and york apl. they picked york apl because, iirc, it had
a smoother interface to the mainframe os. although york apl
had unquote (execute), we (the students at an area high school
that had access to ur's apl service) HATED it. after i managed
to acquire the aplsv documentation from the ibm philadelphia
scientific center, my despair only increased. most of the
{*filter*} apl'ers at my school lost interest, myself included,
and i didn't touch apl again until i graduated from ur 6 years
later.

Quote:
> York APL was also used by the Ryerson Computing Centre (Toronto),
> Statistics Canada, and the Triangle Universities Computing Centre (in
> US). At York University it was used in the York University Computing
> Centre.

> I think the MCM computer (which was advertised in this newsgroup) used
> York APL or a later version of it.

> York APL was interesting in that it was APL but had a number of
> variations. The ones that come to mind were the lack of workspace
> (functions were saved individually) and the lack of a scalars, i.e.
> rank-0 objects (single elements were always one-element vectors). It
> had an "unquote" function which was an early version of "execute"
> before "execute" was implemented by IBM, and a built-in method (using
> I-beams) to write native IBM files (like the TSIO auxiliary processor
> but not using an auxilliary processor). No component file system
> though. It was also a very compact implementation.

> I guess it is noteworthy in terms of interpreter development in Canada
> - perhaps a history of the interpreter including manuals, as part of a
> history of the development of APL, would also be a nice way of
> preserving York APL and making it relevant in today's context, as well
> as resurrecting the bits.

Wed, 05 May 2004 01:54:00 GMT

1. Looking for York APL

2. Looking for York APL

3. New York New York Smalltalk (Job)

4. Looking for I-APL or APL-90

5. SmallTallk - New York's top investment bank's looking for developers

6. Looking for User Group in New York

7. Looking for a job in Upstate New York area

8. I-APL, Vanguard APL, and APL.68000

9. Looking for Maximum Entropy code in APL

10. Looking for APL for Mac

11. Looking for an APL package

12. Looking for APL for Windows