distributable apl source
Author Message
 distributable apl source

421 tjp.east.sun.com.tcp... Deferred: Host is unreachable

   ----- Unsent message follows -----

Subject: PD APL (or copyrighted for public use)

I think that you might be able to take part in the International APL
project.  This is a public domain APL which is being ported to a bunch
of different machines.  I-APL has a sort of FORTH-like kernel, with
the rest of the language built up from there.  It is designed for
rapid porting, rather than rapid computation.  Version 1 was designed
around the 16-bit address bus machine architecture, version 2 is
designed around the 32-bit address bus architecture.

The interpreter was written by a man named Paul Chapman.  If you had
been at the SIG-APL conference of the ACM (last week, in New York),
you could have talked to him (and lots of other people involved in
this or similar projects).  The best address I have for him is:

                              IAPL Ltd.,
                          2, Blenheim Road,
                             St. Albans,
                            Hertfordshire
                              AL1 4NR UK

You would probably want to address the project, rather than Paul
Champman, as I don't think he is directly in charge of ports to other
machines.

Hope this helps
Raul Rockwell                                      |

UUCP:       ...uunet!usc!raulmill                  |  55 mph = 82 nc
U.S.SNAIL:  721 E Windsor #4,  GLENDALE CA  91205  |

Sun, 17 Jan 1993 02:10:00 GMT
 distributable apl source

 > Subject: PD APL (or copyrighted for public use)
 >
 > I think that you might be able to take part in the International APL
 > project.  This is a public domain APL which is being ported to a bunch
 > of different machines.  I-APL has a sort of FORTH-like kernel, with
 > the rest of the language built up from there.  It is designed for
 > rapid porting, rather than rapid computation.  Version 1 was designed
 > around the 16-bit address bus machine architecture, version 2 is
 > designed around the 32-bit address bus architecture.
 >
 > The interpreter was written by a man named Paul Chapman.  If you had
 > been at the SIG-APL conference of the ACM (last week, in New York),
 > you could have talked to him (and lots of other people involved in
 > this or similar projects).  The best address I have for him is:
 >
 >                         IAPL Ltd.,
 >                     2, Blenheim Road,
 >                        St. Albans,
 >                       Hertfordshire
 >                         AL1 4NR UK
 >
 > You would probably want to address the project, rather than Paul
 > Champman, as I don't think he is directly in charge of ports to other
 > machines.

Raul is right on most counts.  I think that Paul has been on Boston
this past week, and I know that he hoped to be able to work with
someone there to create the C code from the (Forth-like) DE source.
He had some pretty clear ideas about how this could be done, and he
is was talking about trying to see Stoneman at the FSF.

These good things can be said about I-APL:

        1) It is an ISO Standard APL conforming implementation of APL.
        The code was written after the standard was available in draft
        form.  (Paul found some bugs in the standard.)

        2) It has built in Direct Definition, and is the only APL
        I know of that has this feature.
        This is a conforming extension to ISO Standard APL.

        3) The work was supported by private donations.

        4) Several publications have come out of the project,
        including

                An Encyclopedia of APL, by Garry Helzer.
                An APL Tutorial, by Linda Alvord and Norman Thomson.

        5) The run-time code is FREE.

My only question about what Raul wrote above has to do with copyright.
I thought that the I-APL organization was holding the copyright, but
the run-time packages are distributed free of charge.

--
    L. J.{*filter*}ey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.

Sun, 17 Jan 1993 11:54:00 GMT
 distributable apl source

. . .
=>  > I think that you might be able to take part in the International
=>  > APL project.  This is a public domain APL which is being ported
=>  > to a bunch of different machines.  I-APL has a sort of
. . .
=> My only question about what Raul wrote above has to do with
=> copyright.  I thought that the I-APL organization was holding the
=> copyright, but the run-time packages are distributed free of
=> charge.

Sorry folks, I got a little too careless there.

Disclaimer:  I have no knowledge of the exact status of the I-APL
copyrights, but I doubt that it is in the public domain.  I believe
that it is freely redistributable.

--
Raul Rockwell                                      |

UUCP:       ...uunet!usc!raulmill                  |  55 mph = 82 nc
U.S.SNAIL:  721 E Windsor #4,  GLENDALE CA  91205  |

Sun, 17 Jan 1993 05:18:00 GMT
 distributable apl source

 Re: the International APL Project and porting of PD APL: is the source going
     to be available (even if it is in FORTH)?|

Sun, 17 Jan 1993 06:44:00 GMT
 distributable apl source
APL was among the languages planned to be implemented in the GNU
project.  Does anyone here know details?  Could it be a port of IAPL?

Sun, 17 Jan 1993 13:21:00 GMT

1. APL for Linux / *ix PD-APL source

2. I-APL, Vanguard APL, and APL.68000

3. newbie:?small talk good for distributable inventory application

4. The Smallest Standalone Distributable Possible

5. DAQ with distributable application

6. freely distributable libm available

7. Smallest Standalone Distributable Possible?

8. freely distributable libm available

9. Yay. FTN90 programs not distributable

10. Distributable TclX with Freewrap (Help, please!)

11. A freely distributable Lisp interpreter

12. Creating a distributable Tcl/Tk program for Win32