APL essential features
Author Message
 APL essential features

Bill Chang enumerates the essental paradimes of APL.
I would like to add
(10) pervasivenmess...oeps pervasiveness: A+5 works for every A size
(11) "dimensioning"-manipulations (I don't know a better word): inner
    product, outer product, reduction, rank, ",[..]". They all manupilate
   over certain dimensions (they happen to be all operators, but that is
   pure (?) change)
(12) (not a particular paradigm, but definately a very important
     characteristics of APL definitions) consistent operation even for
     zero length arrays.

Regarding (6): I agree and I like to refrase this as KISS which means:
Keep It Symbol Simple.

Regarding (7) simple line-oriented execution model.
I don't think this is an essential paradigm of APL.
As you know I am a strong advocate of control structures in APL which
means control AS WELL AS STRUCTURE.
I do program jumps structured and I think that structuring within a
function is still not non-APL.

.......................................Eke

Tue, 25 Mar 1997 21:39:04 GMT

1. Essential Features

2. interesting feature in Dyalog APL/W

3. FW: interesting feature in Dyalog APL/W

4. Interesting feature in Dyalog APL/W

5. Interesting feature in Dyalog APL/W

6. APL feature in FORTH ?

7. I-APL, Vanguard APL, and APL.68000

8. feature{NONE} and feature{ANY}

9. Operator features and exporting features.

10. advantages of assumed shape (fortran 90 feature) over assumed size (fortran 77 feature)

11. POLL: TkCon Users: feature use and future features

12. Need some input on the essentials CD