Missing Posts - TEST
Author Message
 Missing Posts - TEST

Just checking to see if this comes up on my news server - I haven't seen any
new posts for four days.

John Warden
Mainframe APL is alive and kicking

Fri, 24 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Missing Posts - TEST
There was a previous message in the cla., headed "Thaisexholidays". My
Outlook express installation seems to be unable to get rid of it. It does
not get marked as "read" and even if i do it manually through the
right-click popup menu, the message is there again next time i start
Outlook express. The message has no contents, only a header and a HTML
attachment which i have not opened.

I already though this message may somehow have blocked MS OE's ability to
function correctly (which it did not since i got your post).

This is extremely serous, if i am not the only one having this problem.
Anyone else experiencing the same?
/ Tomas

:
:John Warden
:Mainframe APL is alive and kicking
:
:

Fri, 24 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Missing Posts - TEST
Well, my post appeared, together with Tomas' reply, but nothing prior to
that since 3rd March.
Has c.l.a really been  so quiet ?

John

Quote:

[snipped]
>This is extremely serous, if i am not the only one having this problem.
>Anyone else experiencing the same?
>/ Tomas

>:Just checking to see if this comes up on my news server - I haven't seen
>any
>:new posts for four days.
>:
>:John Warden
>:Mainframe APL is alive and kicking
>:
>:

Fri, 24 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Missing Posts - TEST

Quote:

> Well, my post appeared, together with Tomas' reply, but nothing prior to
> that since 3rd March.
> Has c.l.a really been  so quiet ?

> John

Yep, it seems very quiet. Maybe Y2K problems struck unexpectedly early
in the US and all their computers are down?

--

Bob Hoekstra:   APL & Unix Consultant
Tele:           +44 (0)1483 771028

Sat, 25 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Missing Posts - TEST

Quote:

>Yep, it seems very quiet. Maybe Y2K problems struck unexpectedly early
>in the US and all their computers are down?

>--

or just the thoughts about it is paralyzing them
anyway, testing life important devices from time to time is ok

Thomas, I'm also using MS OE, but no such problem
Old MS Mail seems to behave weirdly in this respect

Sat, 25 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Missing Posts - TEST

Quote:

> Has c.l.a really been so quiet ?

Looks like it.

All the J traffic has moved over to the JForum and it
is always pretty busy.

There is one new feature where everyone who so wishes can through
the web come up with a wish for a new option or utility and
all others can vote on the suggestion. It is at
http://juggle.gaertner.de/hitlist/

--------------------------------------
Gosi

www.jsoftware.com

Sat, 25 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Missing Posts - TEST

I think c.l.a has been quiet because nobody has been able to post. Seems that
the person who posted that www.cheryl3.co.uk thing inadvertantly (or
purposefully?) messed things up. I wasn't even able to view posts until about
a half hour ago when I asked one of our administrators to remove the "cheryl"
post. All seems to be OK now. He also pointed me to the search site
www.dejanews.com which gives you a different view to c.l.a.

Anyway . . . . I posted on 3/5/99 a question and have yet to see any replies.
To restate, does anyone know if it is possible to play a WAV file from within
an APL*PLUS PC workspace (possibly with []CMD)?

Mike

Quote:

> Well, my post appeared, together with Tomas' reply, but nothing prior to
> that since 3rd March.
> Has c.l.a really been  so quiet ?

> John

> [snipped]
> >This is extremely serous, if i am not the only one having this problem.
> >Anyone else experiencing the same?
> >/ Tomas

> >:Just checking to see if this comes up on my news server - I haven't seen
> >any
> >:new posts for four days.
> >:
> >:John Warden
> >:Mainframe APL is alive and kicking
> >:
> >:

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

Sun, 26 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Missing Posts - TEST

Quote:
>There is one new feature where everyone who so wishes can through
>the web come up with a wish for a new option or utility and
>all others can vote on the suggestion. It is at
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

It's a bit more complicated than that.

The juggle server concentrates specifically on the J &. Unix user
base.  As the htilist web page says:  Everybody can submit proposals,
but the voting about proposals is (self-)restricted to those who
either use J on Unix, plan to use J on Unix or would use J on Unix
if it just supported Feature FOO.

If we didn't have that restriction, No.1 on the feature hitlist
would soon be "support the newest MS mouse gadget".

The Unix user base has completely different concerns, tough.  For
example, "hold it, Chris, before you move the next 3 .zips for
Windows scriptdoc tools to www.jsoftware.com, pleeaaaase sacrifice
those 10 minutes to provide the most basic, {*filter*}y simple, GUI-less
scriptdoc interface for the Unix crowd.  Or a non-GUI lab viewer."

This is the overall mission of all our juggle.gaertner.de work:

(1) Doing our best to provide improved support for the Unix J user
    community, both for free and commercially.  Both to users and to ISI.

(2) Communicating with the J Unix user base to identify most specific
    needs, hashing out the details; to give feedback about things to
    do to ISI and to talk about necessary changes to the system(s).

Sometimes juggle extends its services beyond the Unix base to J
users on other platforms, too.  The jsoftware mirror is
platform-independent.  The bug tracking system offers categories
which are J&.Unix-specific but I welcome for example the
platform-independent bug report for "roll's domain" there.  The J
script repository has sections for all platforms and I have
provided all what's necessary both for Windows and Unix folks
alike to access it.

can benefit from it without getting into the way, I'm stretching
the rule a bit.  You're welcome.

                                                        Martin

PS, one last remark regarding the initial topic:
The "investors" of one or more J features get an automatic monthly
email update about the state of affairs.  If anybody not elegible
to vote wants to get these, too, no prob.  Drop me a line.

Sun, 26 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Missing Posts - TEST

Quote:

> I think c.l.a has been quiet because nobody has been able to post.

The `cheryl spam' wouldn't have prevented anyone from posting.

Quote:
> Seems that
> the person who posted that www.cheryl3.co.uk thing inadvertantly (or
> purposefully?) messed things up.

It surely was a purposeful attempt to get you to a `{*filter*}' site. The
line of `garbage' at the bottom of it is actually an executable
sequence that exploits some bugs in IE/NetScape/Java/JavaScript.

Quote:
> I wasn't even able to view posts until about
> a half hour ago when I asked one of our administrators to remove the "cheryl"
> post.

Should that kind of thing happen again, try turning off Java and Java
Script. Then you can generally get the post without letting it go
`active'. It will save you (and your administrator) time.
Quote:
> All seems to be OK now. He also pointed me to the search site
> www.dejanews.com which gives you a different view to c.l.a.

> Anyway . . . . I posted on 3/5/99 a question and have yet to see any replies.
> To restate, does anyone know if it is possible to play a WAV file from within
> an APL*PLUS PC workspace (possibly with []CMD)?

> Mike

Mon, 27 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Missing Posts - TEST

Quote:

> >There is one new feature where everyone who so wishes can through
> >the web come up with a wish for a new option or utility and
> >all others can vote on the suggestion. It is at
> >http://juggle.gaertner.de/hitlist/

> It's a bit more complicated than that.

The voting system itself is quite interesting and I am sure it could
be used for all kinds of voting.

You might want to sell the voting system. What is it written in?
Is it written in J? What platform is it running on?

--------------------------------------
Gosi

Wed, 29 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Missing Posts

2. missing posts

3. Missing Posts

4. comp.lang.logo missing posts in LogoForum?

5. Missing USENET comp.lang.ruby newsgroup posts, etc.

6. the black hole of missing messages when viewing posts

7. Some missing posts

8. Standard on user-defined words (was: Some missing posts)

9. My missing posts

10. Test: Seeing if Google is updating USENET posts in real-time

11. Refactored Plus All Missing CS ANSI Tests In SIF

12. Refactored Plus All Missing CS ANSI Tests In SIF