Timeshare WWW Homepage Possible?
Author Message
 Timeshare WWW Homepage Possible?

During the past year I have been working in APLIWIN and later JWin on
code to perform a (simple) analysis of the handling dynamics of race
cars. It is intended for myself and a few friends to help us determine
the best setups for our road race car's suspensions.

Since all the intended users are online I have been wondering whether
it would be possible to skip the whole mess of distributing this code
as a PC application and instead use a WWW homepage to collect parameters
and initial conditions and present results while the code is run on a
suitable CPU (the IBM 3090 comes to mind).

Does anyone have experience with such a setup?

Regards,
Mike Justesen

Mon, 20 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Timeshare WWW Homepage Possible?
I do not fully understand your question
If you want to use www as a central mailbox (client server) there
must be thousands
of examples that more or less work.. A database (SQL -- Oracle Sybase) with
mail facilities sounds like what you are after ...
I have not raced cars in a million years and am really responding
hoping that you
might explain current suspension theory for a road car ...(no
aerodynamic effects)
What enviornment are you and your associates operating in (UNIX NT etc)?

Tue, 21 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Timeshare WWW Homepage Possible?

Quote:

> Since all the intended users are online I have been wondering whether
> it would be possible to skip the whole mess of distributing this code
> as a PC application and instead use a WWW homepage to collect parameters
> and initial conditions and present results while the code is run on a
> suitable CPU (the IBM 3090 comes to mind).

> Does anyone have experience with such a setup?

I use a web page to collect homework answers from my classes. A similar page
could collect your parameters. When the user clicks a button on this web page,
it runs software that could be literally anything, including APL. The APL
could generate the results and the software could construct a web page that
displays the results.

I'm doing this on a an old 386/40 computer that I no longer use. It is on the
Internet and is my web server. It is running OS/2. There is a very easy
web server program for OS/2 called GoServ. Setting it up is about as easy
as installing Notepad in Windows (or any other program).

The hard part is developing the computer code that runs when your users have
entered the parameters and have clicked on a button to send them to your web
server. This code is called a CGI script. Your web page has to give the name
of the CGI script in a "FORM" command. A FORM command must used to set up the
data entry web page with fields for entering the parameters.

If you use OS/2, the cgi script can be any OS/2 program. I use a batch file.
That batch file can run other programs and do as much processing as you want
but ultimately it mush create a web page that displays the results.

In OS/2, batch files (*.cmd) can be either like DOS batch files or can use
Rexx. I use Rexx. It is about as powerful as Visual Basic.

If you get IBM's APL2/2 for OS/2, you can communicate between APL2/2 and Rexx.
Hence, you should be able to get Rexx to pass data to APL2/2, get back the
results, and display them on your web page.

If you want to see how my web page looks where my students enter their
homework data, check out:

http://www.chem.ualberta.ca/courses/clarke/ch10x95/ch101c.htm

You can log in as a the student "Mickey Mouse" using the ID number 987654 and
use the password 98765.

Before you click the "login" button, click on the radio button "Submit
Homework Answers". That will let you see the typical data entry page I use.

I'll explain the kind of processing I do with this data. The Rexx script
sometimes runs RexxBase and stores the data in an xBase file. I could use
DB2/2 for the same purpose. Other CGI scripts I wrote run the Unix stream
editor "sed" to extract text from ascii files. These scripts construct a set
up web pages which are personalized to the students. The student then gets
the first of these web pages, with links to the remaining web pages.

You probably will have to use shared variables, but that is not my area of
expertise.

If you have more questions, please e-mail me. I skim this newsgroup quickly
and might miss your reply if you just post it.

Bruce

Department of Chemistry    | compuserve: 70740,3135
University of Alberta      | http://www.chem.ualberta.ca
Edmonton AB, T6G 2G2       | ftp://hydra.chem.ualberta.ca
Canada                     |

Tue, 21 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Timeshare WWW Homepage Possible?

...> If you get IBM's APL2/2 for OS/2, you can communicate
...> between APL2/2 and Rexx.Hence, you should be able to get
...> Rexx to pass data to APL2/2, get back the results, and
...> display them on your web page.
Is it possible to get Rexx for Windows 95 ?
I am sure it will fit in brilliantly with J.
/Gosi

Fri, 24 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Object Oriented WWW homepage

2. Object Oriented WWW homepage