IAPL v. 1.11 System functions
Author Message
 IAPL v. 1.11 System functions

I recently downloaded from a Simtel20-type archive a demo version of iAPL 1.11,
which is basically complete except for the manuals and other advantages of reg-
istration (something for the future perhaps). I am satisfied with its perform-
ance, and I chose it over other public domain APL's because it works with a CGA
card & monitor. I don't have EGA here at home. I am eager to learn APL and may
progress to a professional system when I attain proficiency.
        I haven't yet found adequate instruction material on APL, especially on
system functions that vary from version to version. In the case of this iAPL,
I solved the mystery of the Stop & Trace services which are as follows:
              (iota 7) QuadTRACE 'functionname'
                       QuadSTOP
To turn them off, one replaces the left-side argument with either an empty lit-
eral, an empty vector, or a line # way past the highest line # in the function:
              (iota 0) QuadSTOP  'functionname'
                   ''  QuadTRACE
                  99
(I used descriptive expressions for the unprintable APL characters.) The older
way of asking for Trace & Stop doesn't work on this version. Period.
        To interrupt execution, use CTRL-[ , not CTRL-Break or C.
        Next I searched the saved workspaces for other system functions using
Quad. I found a few of the traditional ones, but I also found three that are
not in my (outdated) text-book. I don't know what they are for or how to use
them. They are:    QuadHC   I was only able to make it take a left-arrow
assignment of 1 or 0. I still don't know what it does.
                   QuadMC   I failed to make it do anything.  And...
                   QuadE    Likewise Failed.

        Furthermore, I found two system commands whose use and purpose is
unknown to me:          )SINL           )PCOPY

        If you can enlighten me as to the use of these three functions and
two system commands, I will be much obliged, and glad to help you whenever I
can be of service.                      Yours cordially,       Warren V.

Mon, 11 Dec 1995 19:45:45 GMT
 IAPL v. 1.11 System functions

Quote:

>I recently downloaded ... iAPL 1.11,
   ...[and found]
>              (iota 7) QuadTRACE 'functionname'
>    The older
>way of asking for Trace & Stop doesn't work on this version. Period.

Is anybody using a version of APL that uses another method for stop
and trace?   Some early APLs used an assignment to a variable with
a funny name.  Do these usages survive today?

Lee

--
Prof. Leroy J.{*filter*}ey, Faculty of Mathematics, U of Waterloo, Canada  N2L 3G1

Tue, 12 Dec 1995 21:17:23 GMT

1. IAPL v. 1.11 QuadMC {machine code}

2. ElfData XML Editor 1.11

3. LSP SFX-Builder 1.11 - NEW VERSION

4. Clipper rookie using Summer '87, PLink86 and Blinker 1.11

5. Clipper rookie using Summer '87, PLink86 and Blinker 1.11

6. Clipper rookie using Summer '87, PLink86 and Blinker 1.11

7. ANN: iForth 1.11 for Linux

8. ANN: Gfx Graphics Library Release 1.11

9. PmwContribD 1.11

10. Announce REXXIO Beta 1.11

11. SIE : Simple Inference Engine - Update 1.11

12. TinyScheme 1.11