APL symbols in postings
Author Message
 APL symbols in postings

Jan Karman wrote on 29 Mar 1996:

Quote:
> Try in APL
> 0.,/((a b c
> in which the bold stiles read <take> and <pick> resp.

Bold stiles?  What bold stiles?  Although you may see non-ASCII symbols
on your screen when you edit a message, most readers probably won't see
the same symbols when they receive the message.  For now at least, some
form of ASCII transliteration is necessary if you want to include APL
symbols in a news posting.  One such technique is to replace APL symbols
with {keywords}, as in ((V{iota}V)={iota}{rho}V)/V.  The phrase within
the braces can be whatever you want, either a symbol name or a monadic
or dyadic function name.  Advantages of this technique include:

1.  It's relatively obvious even to APLers who haven't seen it before.
You don't have to obtain and install special software or a special
font to be able to understand the message.

2.  In small amounts, the translation is easily done manually, and you
don't need to memorize mnemonic tables.  Just write whatever you call
the symbol within the braces.  The software that does the translation
automatically has a large collection of keywords that it recognizes, and
more are added from time to time.  Even if you use a keyword that isn't
recognized by the software, the meaning should be obvious to a human
reader if your keyword is halfway reasonable.

3.  Software to perform the translation automatically is freely
available for most APL systems, including APL*PLUS, APL2, Dyalog APL,
APL.68000, and Sharp APL.  The software includes the ability to transfer
entire workspaces using transliterated files.  These transfer files are
human-readable, can be edited using an ordinary text editor, and can be
included directly in e-mail, news postings, and Web pages (with a few
changes to characters like < and >).

4.  The translation process is completely reversible; any arbitrary
sequence of characters can be transliterated and then reconstructed on
the receiving end.  (Braces are transliterated as {leftbrace}
{rightbrace}, and non-APL, non-ASCII symbols such as linedrawing
characters are transliterated as {U+xxxx} Unicode indices.)

The automatic translation software is available from:

   ftp://archive.uwaterloo.ca/languages/apl/workspaces/aplascii

For more information about this transliteration technique, see the
APL-ASCII articles in my Web pages, located at:

    http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~jimw

Largest APL site on the Web!  (Excluding Waterloo, which is mainly ftp.)
More than 500K of information (almost all text), and links to every
other APL site I've heard of (and then some).

                                                Jim

Thu, 17 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 APL symbols in postings

Quote:

> 4.  The translation process is completely reversible; any arbitrary
> sequence of characters can be transliterated and then reconstructed on
> the receiving end.  (Braces are transliterated as {leftbrace}
> {rightbrace}, and non-APL, non-ASCII symbols such as linedrawing
> characters are transliterated as {U+xxxx} Unicode indices.)

Would you be willing to send me the Unicode indices for the APL chars ?

--

http://www2.simi.is/~gosi
http://www.jsoftware.com

Fri, 18 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Symbol Choices in J and APL/!

2. Outdated APL symbols ?

3. APL Symbols

4. APL Symbols

5. Intro to Porting APL Postings

6. Rejected posting to APL-L@UNBVM1

7. Rejected posting to APL-L@UNBVM1

8. APL'92 Info - posting from Erkki Juvonen

9. Fw: Rejected posting to APL-L@LISTSERV.UNB.CA

10. Posting personal email to comp.lang.apl

11. Posting language(s) [was Re: APL]

12. APL Skills Database - June postings